INFJs inclined towards darkness? | INFJ Forum

INFJs inclined towards darkness?

Arising Tale

Regular Poster
Sep 22, 2014
MBTI
ENTJ
I think INFJs wouldnt be so ''dark'' if the world was better.
Perhaps they have an independant inclination towards dark. As in art, dark side of things... Wearing black clothes and dark style...
Otherwise it would be just that we really are dark by standards, perspective.
I mean just looking a little... so unidealistic.

shall I mention where I think that from?
Ok, well I have seen quite a few INFJs and they love things related to darkness, not stanic things, not skulls. but always dark book covers with assssination symbolic mixed up with wealth and winter and stuff.

Last edited:
By dark, do you mean pessimistic? Or is it more of an appreciation for darker things: art, music, being alone, etc. If the former, I'm not sure I agree INFJs tend to be particularly pessimistic. If the latter, that may be more of a general trait of introverts than just INFJs.

But I understand what you mean about "unidealistic". There just seems to be a way things should be, and they are not. I don't think anyone particularly needs an absolutely ordered and logic-ruled world, but one in which the rough edges are smoothed and interactions flow more like a dance than a panicked rush. I think we all have to come to accept that the tough parts of life are, indeed, parts of life, and we need a paradigm of inclusion of those things. If you step back far enough, even the worst of reality fades and a beautiful order emerges, we just need to keep stepping back...

You ask if you should mention where you think that from. I'm curious! What is it your thoughts are stemming from?

I think your stepping in..

Could you elaborate what you mean with darkness? I love dark music, video games, art, dark stuff in general excites me, but it doesn't define my personality either- I'd like to think I'm far from appearing 'dark' to others.

Are you saying the condition of the world could possibly reflect the infj interests and fashion sense?

I think anyone, regardless of type, might be inclined toward 'dark' things if they are given opportunities to ponder them. Introverts and those who spend lots of time in their heads and who are less task oriented are more prone to pessimism, which I think is a general precursor to this kind of aesthetic (certainly, I've never met an optimistic and cheerful goth). In general, they are more sensitive, artistic and highly idealistic and some of them can stew over injustices committed against them or their ideals that can make them grow morose. This combination of thinking builds a certain worldview that in turn attracts one to certain philosophies and aesthetics.

The other thing is that people who are a bit more shy and insular generally do not diversify with their friends. They seek people that make them comfortable, which are often other introverts and those who reflect their own psychology. If other introverts they come into contact with are 'dark,' this influence this aesthetic as well.

I'm just guessing here, of course, and basing my thoughts on what I've personally observed.

Last edited:
Maybe. I have always been drawn toward the more scary or dark side of life if only to be aware of what I need to protect myself from. I do enjoy a good, frightening story especially if it is true so that I can know more about human behavior but I would not want to personally experience it.

Dark humor? I enjoy reading Pearls Before Swine.

I suppose one could say my avatar is "dark"...

I think INFJs wouldnt be so ''dark'' if the world was better.
Perhaps they have an independant inclination towards dark. As in art, dark side of things... Wearing black clothes and dark style...
Otherwise it would be just that we really are dark by standards, perspective.
I mean just looking a little... so unidealistic.

shall I mention where I think that from?
Ok, well I have seen quite a few INFJs and they love things related to darkness, not stanic things, not skulls. but always dark book covers with assssination symbolic mixed up with wealth and winter and stuff.

Whilst I do believe some INFJ's might feel attracted to the goth/metal/alternative/emo scenes because generally there are a lot of nice people there that tend to accept you for who you are. Often more so than among the scenes with casually dressed people.

I do not really find myself in your generalization of INFJs because:

The only dark clothes I got are blue jeans and black T's, if it's cold I got a colorful zip up hoody to brighten up the day!
My coats aside from my new one are all Brown leather jackets (I really like Autumn colors) but yea the last coat is a classy black one that makes me feel like I am worth a 1000 bucks.
My book covers were: With the ocean during a bright day perhaps a surfer on it, Silver or with snowboarders on them.

Winter ain't dark, winter is awesome and cheerful, you get to snowboard, make snowangels and a snowman :)!
Winter is magical :D the whole land lights up :) Even nights aren't as dark with bright white snow outside :D You also get together inside and drink hot chocolate cause it's cold outside :) (without snow though winter sucks :/)

I also do not fixate on wealth. I fixate on making the most out of life for myself and others.
But I do agree, the world could be so much better and that would definitely lighten things up :)

Ps. I do not shit rainbows. I simply see enough bad things in life to just want to brighten up my mood with what I can :)
Amplifying the bad shit by reflecting it in what I surround myself and dress myself with can surely only have negative effects ;)
I'm actually pretty much friendless though so all that winter stuff I do solo.

Last edited:
Those individuals and social conditions that make for suppression of life produce the passion of behaving exclusive. Being human always points, and is directed to something or someone than oneself-be it a meaning to fulfill or another human being to encounter. The more one forgets himself by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love, the more human he is and the more he actualizes himself. Not all of us are influenced the same way hence dark becomes naive realism.

The ability to admit errors in adults, feel compassion, and see oneself through the eyes of another, is to take the step back from socialized consciousness and beyond. To be afflicted with moral hypocrisy is to express the meaning of "dark". It is a side affect that one experiences through selfless acts of creative engagement and contribution to ignoring an idealized approval of contradictory norms. You could consider it a form of rebellious escapism - a kind of despairing withdrawal from experiencing life. To know ourselves, realize our highest potential and experience the joy of life in a relationship is tough given the circumstances of an emotionally unresponsive or hostile world.

Last edited:
I spent years playing in metal, punk, and other alternative bands, thriving in the counter-culture with my black hoodies and Doc Martens. I wouldn't limit "darkness" to any one personality type, but would say that one is more likely to find Intuitive types in the types of cliques I think you are alluding to.

I tend to wear dark clothes but other than that Im not really dark. Grays and blacks and neutrals like that make life a great deal easier when picking out my outfit. It matches everything. I do like dark colors for decoration but not completely dark. Pops of color are nice also. I'm most comfortable in dim rooms. Or at least natural light. I hate fake light. I think many of these preferences stem from my sensitive eyes though. Dark colors are easier to look at most generally. And dimmer light is more relaxing for my eyes.

To a certain extent that may be the case. However, it is just a random label that doesn't convey much meaning. Look at the responses of this thread, it ranges from nihilism, music, clothes, character, etc.

I've been called that way multiple times irl though, but idk if i see it the same way. I could say that i'm lighter than a lot of people out there on certain things too. I'd much rather watch "Dumb And Dumber" than "House Of Wax" (most horror movies bore me anyway) to put a really silly example. On music, there are many pop artists that beat most "dark" genres by a long shot. Also my worldview is not that nihilistic either.

Last edited:
I like a lot of things people would conventionally call "dark" and I'm aware of this, but personally I don't see it the same way. I'm simply intrigued by different views, irony, juxtaposition and relativism. This could be anything from The Munsters and The Addams Family to Lovecraft or Saya no Uta or The Ring.

No. not nihilism

Well if you are inclined to go in depth then you're liable to get dark. That only makese sense, right?

Dark things lend themselves to the imagination.

Well if you are inclined to go in depth then you're liable to get dark. That only makese sense, right?

yes it does make sense. digging deep will always reveal the true essence of things. digging requires going into areas that are forbidden and dark. it's not an infj thing though so that's an inaccurate observation of an infj.

Certainly INFJs don't hold a monopoly on this but as to whether they are predisposed to being "dark" I have to say yes. I'm not sure there's any way around that with lead Ni.

How we deal with that and what we get out of it as well as our unique life story all depends on that, naturally.

yes it does make sense. digging deep will always reveal the true essence of things. digging requires going into areas that are forbidden and dark. it's not an infj thing though so that's an inaccurate observation of an infj.