INFJ's Capacity for Darkness | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ's Capacity for Darkness

In my early teens, I became aware that I was harboring a deep-seated anger, a werewolf-like rage that was released on a few unfortunate occasions. Throughout my teens I tried to hide it away, keep it at bay, which wasn't particularly effective. During my 20s I worked to integrate it and transform it into a healthy part of my personality, and while this was successful to some degree, it wasn't until I acknowledged it outright and recognized it as an innate aspect of my nature that I was able to subjugate it.

It's your Jungian shadow. Everyone has a shadow. That's why I'm always wary of people who seem "perfectly" or impossibly nice and innocent; chances are they are seriously whacked underneath.

As for anger, I used to have some anger problems when I was bullied or pushed around. Once, in primary school, I lashed out and pushed someone down the hill. I felt really bad about that.

Haven't felt that kind of anger in a long time, so I think I'm over it now. Make no mistake though, I would have no qualms about exacting justice and revenge on someone who deserved it. Typelogic's INFJ profile 100% nails this aspect.

I believe in compassion and humanity but I have no problem with taking down monsters. I'm not sure if this constitutes a dark side or not?

My country forbids the ownership of most firearms and you certainly cannot carry weapons for self defense. If I was living in the US in a state which allows it, I would certainly be carrying a concealed firearm -- and of course be thoroughly and tactically trained in using it lawfully. I don't believe in being a victim -- I think every person has a deep-seated responsibility to protect themselves and others.

BTW I always see Hitler being brought up as an example of INFJ and darkness, which is completely laughable, and utterly lacking in insight. An INFJ who embraced total darkness does not manifest like that.

Last edited:
I don't bask in darkness by any means but, as part of a more holistic perspective, I certainly understand the dark side of life and can feel it very deeply. For me it is always about the completeness of the human experience, and it is not something wholly destructive or to be feared. I have learned such from darkness...good can even be found there.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
I used to think about all that crap too in my teenage years. I hardly think it is an INFJ specific thing and I laugh a little inside whenever I read that a certain type is the darkest or has the most potential for evil. I mean, why would you even want to be known for that?

It's your Jungian shadow. Everyone has a shadow.

I don't believe in being a victim -- I think every person has a deep-seated responsibility to protect themselves and others.
Interesting, and much to consider in your response, 44sunsets. Thanks. I've been learning about the Jungian shadow recently, and have found what I've read so far intriguing.

As for firearms, I'm fairly anti-handgun, as is the case for a large percentage of people in the Northwest region of the US. We also have very few handgun deaths in comparison to regions where more people own handguns. I'm not stating there's a direct correlation. That may or may not be the case. It's not an especially violent area, so this may have more to do with the crime rate, in general. I often get the sense that people outside the US think it's far more dangerous to live here than it actually is. :) Anyway, I'm not challenging your thoughts on this. I certainly have the same feelings about protecting ourselves and others.

I don't bask in darkness by any means but, as part of a more holistic perspective, I certainly understand the dark side of life and can feel it very deeply. For me it is always about the completeness of the human experience, and it is not something wholly destructive or to be feared. I have learned such from darkness...good can even be found there.
Wow. Nicely put, randomsomeone.

I used to think about all that crap too in my teenage years. I hardly think it is an INFJ specific thing and I laugh a little inside whenever I read that a certain type is the darkest or has the most potential for evil. I mean, why would you even want to be known for that?
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that this was specifically an INFJ thing, corndogman. What I was really interested in exploring was whether or not different types (INFJ in this case) experience "darkness" ([insert your definition here]) differently, and whether or not there is any reason to believe this is related to the order of our varying cognitive functions. That may not be the case at all, but I'm curious about other peoples' thoughts on the subject, and have appreciated all of the responses thus far.

I don't think I or anyone of any type who's mentally fit would want to be known for being the darkest or most evil. :) As stated in the original post, it's not something I dwell on much these days. However, it is still there, and it's my sense that INFJs experience it in a unique manner. In no way are my feelings on this meant to assume the exclusion of its expression in other types. Honestly, I was simply interested in how it affects INFJs (and/or individuals of different personality types).

Reactions: the
I went through a very dark period in my late teens early 20s. I like how you called it "were-wolf-like rage" because that really fits. I'm in my 30s as well and that rage has long ago subsided. But I know what you mean about connecting with the dark part through movies and such. I also think connecting with this part of yourself in this way is important because it serves as a reminder of where you've been and where you don't want to end up again.

For me my rage came about as a direct result of being bullied and misunderstood and so on. I got so sick of being a doormat that I started fighting back. I kind of went to the other extreme. The pendulum has since swung back somewhere near the middle. I think we tend to balance out with age (and lots of self-analysis).

I do believe we all have darkness inside. Rather than avoid it, we should try to understand it and why it's there.
I liked and related a lot to your original post btw. Thanks for posting it.

For me my rage came about as a direct result of being bullied and misunderstood and so on. I got so sick of being a doormat that I started fighting back. I kind of went to the other extreme. The pendulum has since swung back somewhere near the middle. I think we tend to balance out with age (and lots of self-analysis).
Thanks for sharing this, Whiskey. Your experience sounds eerily familiar. I tended to swing from one extreme to the other until my mid-20s, but I've definitely balanced out over the years. "Lots of self-analysis," yes. It seems as though INFJs can't really avoid this, and that's probably a good thing since it also seems (like you said) that we get significantly more stable as we get older. :)

dear @zak, your avatar + darkness combination creeps me out.
hehe... I'm drawn to that sort of imagery, but as you get to know me I think you'll find this more representative of my personality. --> :ms:

I've been fortunate enough to have friends and family that have been very supportive of me and who I am throughout my life, and this has given me a positive outlook for the most part. I've only ever really gotten down on myself, and that was far more melancholy than anger.

I wonder how many who are still around have to say about this subject, as for myself I have gotten close to it in the past week or so due to stress and some aggravation. It is the kind that has that satisfied expression as Cersei has when the Sept gets blown up in season 6.

Reactions: Misadventure