INFJs and INTJs: best friends? | INFJ Forum

INFJs and INTJs: best friends?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by steerthestars, Aug 15, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
More threads by steerthestars
  1. steerthestars

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I'm an INTJ and, like other introverted Ns, I usually find it easier to make friends with a few people very similar to me and they inevitably turn out to be other INs-- especially INFJs. While INFPs and INTPs are amazing people, sometimes they seem so distant and unreliable-- always disappearing without telling you where they're going, or forgetting to show up when they're supposed to, or absorbed in whatever they're doing-- INFJs are practically drawn to me, despite the fact that they are the absolute least common personality type.

    It seems strange that an INTJ and INFJ would be so drawn to each other, given that INTJs can often be insensitive to the point of rudeness, and INFJs can entirely overlook the practical and sensible while taking little slights too seriously. But I have heard from other INTJ forums that these kind of close friendships between INTJs and INFJs are common. Is it because of the shared primary function?

    Despite my more commanding and less sweet dispostion than my INFJ friends, when we get into deep conversations, we tend to understand each other really well. We also respect each other's creativity and independence from social norms. How do you INFJs feel about INTJs?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mintoots likes this.
  2. Nela

    Nela Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    678
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    That's definitely true. Because of this, I'm often having trouble getting "close" to INTJs. Good conversations, yes. But in fact you are communicating on a whole different level, at least that's what I experience when discussing something with an INTJ. Conversations can be very insightful, but I never seem to "connect" with them emotionally. They're too far away. I always feel like there's this gap between us and I can't get over that. It's strange, my relationships with INTJs. I still haven't figured out what I have to think of it, really. But that's just my personal experience. In fact, I've heard about these close INFJ/INTJ friendships, so I guess it's possible.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SarahBS likes this.
  3. laurie

    laurie Snowblind in Dreamland

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2009
    Threads:
    20
    Messages:
    1,382
    Likes Received:
    96
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I find I get on with my INTJ sister (as my twin she's also my friend) better than most other people (probably a little less well than with my mother, who is an INFJ). I agree that INFJ & TJs often do have good conversation, partly because of the INTJs liking for such deep conversations and the imagination/intuition of the INFJ allowing them to keep on a similar wavelength.
    I usually find that older/more secure INFJs tend to get over the bluntness of INTJs better than younger/more sensitive ones, and so they tend to get on better with them.
    Usually, it's about being able to accept that another's truth may oppose your own and there is no ONE TRUTH, or something.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Grey Wolf

    Grey Wolf Airborne all the way!

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2009
    Threads:
    90
    Messages:
    1,769
    Likes Received:
    135
    Trophy Points:
    622
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    no idea
    I get on with myself pretty well XD

    when I take the tests I usually end up INFJ or INTJ depending on how I'm feeling at that time :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NaeturVindur

    NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Threads:
    86
    Messages:
    3,686
    Likes Received:
    265
    Trophy Points:
    641
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    We're definitely drawn to each other. I have a small group of best friends (4, including myself). The MBTI are : 2 Infj's and 2 INTJ's. We know no other Intj's our age, and we recently found another person to be INFJ. We like her, but we just go in different circles. So, yes, from all of my experience, INFJ's and INTJ's are drawn to each other.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. chain

    chain Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2009
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
     
  7. Jana

    Jana Searching...

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    Threads:
    81
    Messages:
    2,080
    Likes Received:
    387
    Trophy Points:
    642
    MBTI:
    infj
    I don't know for friends, but my best high-school teacher was INTJ, at least I think so (now, when I anylize my past in MBTI terms:)...I was intersted in subject, but that teacher was great. Systematic, objective, great in describing schemes, always controlling herself in class full of moody teenagers, honest. And I never have problems in understanding what was going on (probably because INFJ and INTJ has similar way of learning). Because she was more intersted in big picture of problem than in just facts. True mastermind:)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AUM

    AUM The Romantic Scientist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    132
    Messages:
    2,838
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,990
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    INTJ's are great people. Love talking to them but often misunderstood more than INFJ's for that matter.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Nausus

    Nausus Community Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    Threads:
    10
    Messages:
    600
    Likes Received:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w6
    The thing is, I usually dislike INTJs. I'm not saying you're not a lovely person D: but usually I cannot get along with them, and they annoy me to no end of their "I'm right, you're wrong, deal." kind of attitude that i've experienced. But, that's my take on INTJs, I tend to like INTPs alot, though. My best friend is an INTP :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SarahBS likes this.
  10. AUM

    AUM The Romantic Scientist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    132
    Messages:
    2,838
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,990
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Yeah, they seem to have that kind of attitude. My dad is an INTJ and he has that kind of attitude all the time, it drives me nuts too. But like I said, they are frequently misunderstood. Being obnoxious and arrogant is the way of an INTJ to show his care towards you. But nevertheless it gets irritating after awhile.

    That being said, I still love their conversations :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #10 AUM, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  11. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,269
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,619
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I try to talk to this INTJ girl that I know, but she doesn't seem to like me. I'm not sure though.

    I like INTJs and work really well with them, unless they're being jerks. I've gotten to the point though were instead of taking it too personally, I'll argue back with them because I usually have an idea what I'm talking about if I care about it. Give me a few years, and I will know way more than I do now.
     
  12. Radiant1

    Radiant1 Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    My boyfriend is an INTJ. I'll have to repeat what I bolded above like a mantra. He often tells me, "The fact that I pay any attention to you at all shows that I care about you." :laughing:

    Obviously, I love INTJs too. ;)
     
  13. VH

    VH Variable Hybrid

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Threads:
    252
    Messages:
    4,830
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    853
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    INTJs and INFJs are the only two types who share Ni dominance. This is significant for two very clear reasons. First, sharing Ni dominance means we see the world the same way. Second, Ni dominance occurs in less than 1% of the total population.

    We're drawn to each other because there are so few of us who can relate to how we view the world.

    We compliment each other because we think differently about what we both see. INFJs move from Ni to Fe. INTJs move from Ni to Te. We both reason extroverted, but INFJs think in terms of how things relate philosophically and emotionally, while INTJs think in terms of how things relate logically and rationally.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    TechnocolorJET likes this.
  14. Arg

    Arg Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Threads:
    3
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    33
    Trophy Points:
    160
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Yeah most my friends are Js. I drive them nuts. I have a tendency to treat deadlines and social obligations (aka being on time for social outings) as tentative suggestions rather than divine mandates. I was two hours late for a date once (with an INTJ) because I went looking for arrowheads and lost track of the time, but at least I found some sweet pottery shards.

    My last girlfriend was an ENFP, now she was a freaking space cadet and coming from me that's bad.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #14 Arg, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  15. Radiant1

    Radiant1 Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Which, if you think about it, really can be a workable yin-yang type of principle.
     
  16. NaeturVindur

    NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Threads:
    86
    Messages:
    3,686
    Likes Received:
    265
    Trophy Points:
    641
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I've talked to my INTJ friend about this conception of the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude. Its not that they have this attitude, without discrimination, its that they make their decision very quickly. This listen to you, objectively make a determination, then get back to you, and the whole process can take a second, because they do it while you're talking. INTJ's are very concerned about being right, so they might come across as cocky, but they will listen to what you have to say, and if you have a valid point, they will happily reevaluate their own position.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,269
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,619
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    [QUOTE=N
     
  18. Lady_Ai

    Lady_Ai Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2009
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Funny you should mention the compatibility of INFJ and INTJ. I actually dated an INTJ and it was actually quite the experience. On the long run it was a pretty deep relationship. We both were deep thinkers and understood one another. Though we were introverted people we found ourselves easily making conversation and going out together without tiring ourselves out. We would of been great friends.

    That being said our relationship ended in 14 months. The difference of T.hinking and F. eeling was something that couldn't work out. To put it bluntly in 3rd person he was too arrogant and I was too emotionally and often call on each other for that. To him it was all in the logical sense. To me I relied my feelings. Our reasonings clashed and blew up in our faces. We used the word love with each other. As I type this down I just realized that the fact neither of us are willing to work things isn't love at all. What was holding us together was our understanding for one another.

    Back to the point: INTJ are really quite logical and realistic. Some may even call them stuck up and rude. After dating one I realized they're not trying to be rude but rather practical in their line of reasoning. Would I be friends with a INTJ ,of course I would. I don't want to shut myself from other personalities just because we're different, but rather I want to to understand them. Would I date an INTJ again? Maybe, myexperience was bad but I don't want to shut off other potential suiters base on that alone
     
  19. Naxx

    Naxx Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2008
    Threads:
    82
    Messages:
    974
    Likes Received:
    80
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ESTP
    Enneagram:
    9w0
    I've tested as ENFJ, INTP, and INTJ however 95% of the time I'm an INFJ. My best friend is an INTJ.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #19 Naxx, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  20. gloomy-optimist

    gloomy-optimist Used to live here

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Threads:
    29
    Messages:
    4,304
    Likes Received:
    204
    Trophy Points:
    528
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    I have two close INTJ friends, and my dad is INTJ. I tend to get along well with almost every INTJ I meet. Course, I often do test INTJ, so having a strong T helps.

    I think they're funny as hell. That rude, snarky attitude? Makes me laugh :D

    But then, there's poles to every type. Some INTJs are so arrogant and pompous that you want to punch them. But there's always the INTJs that share morals and a love for people as well. Overall, I think the common Ni gives us more common ground than differences.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page