INFJ & Religion | INFJ Forum

INFJ & Religion

LoonyBird720

Nov 27, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6 - The Loyalist
Hi everyone! I'm new to the board and have really enjoyed perusing all of your threads. When I see a lot of your posts, it sounds like myself talking. It's nice to know there are others out there like me :)

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how religious all of you are? I wonder what the religious trend is throughout our small population of INFJ.

I'm very non-religious, if I have to label myself I would say that I'm Agnostic. I don't know if God exists and it isn't something that I contemplate...I believe in a value system of my own that's very important to me and that's how I live my life.

~Candace

Reactions: invisible
I think about those questions all the time. It's very important to me. It is one of the first five things I think about when I start each day. I think about if God exists, the implications of Him NOT existing and if truth exists.

welcome to the forum
there are many paths to the top of the mountain that is god. . whatever you concieve god to be. . all paths are equally valid. .
at the moment I am on the christian path, but I have walked others. .

Many things and life forms on the earth are too wonderful for there not to be a master designer. (imo)

Reactions: Annabreher
I don't believe in God, one entity being able to influence any molecule in the universe doesn't seem possible. I believe in forces that we can't understand like time, space, growth(nature), etc.

Hi!

Welcome aboard!
I don't believe in a God either, but I believe in a inner power of all living,
that makes things constantly evolve. I'm also somewhat religious, but I'm
only a newcomer at Buddhism, learning the basics.
But that is more like a life-philosophy for me, than a religion.

I'm classified as a Pagan (yay for a world of stereotypes!) and just like to keep my mind open.

Most of the INFJ's I know in my waking life are agnostic, but very spiritual and self aware.

hi Candace

in belief i'm basically atheistic but i don't deeply contemplate these questions either and similarly derive ethical direction elsewhere. i do admire people of religion for their spirit of faith though.

The two INFJs I know personally are very atheistic.

I think you will find quite the range in the forum, religiously. It's pretty fun. At least I think so -- I like being around diversity.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a psychopath without conscience and 10 being Amish, I'm probably about a 9. I'm a revert to Judaism, meaning that my family had left the tribe and become Christian, and I was Christian for many years, but I returned to Judaism. In terms of observance, you can call me Orthodox-lite, or perhaps Conservadox. I pretty much aspire to an Orthodox level of observance, but in reality I break a few laws here and there: for example, I routinely violate Shabbat by using my computer. But pretty much I try to keep the 613 commandments.

You will find that Jews don't care that much about beliefs -- what matters is your behavior. I don't really have a lot of belefs. I believe in G-d, but it is hard for me to talk about a being that is so utterly beyond my comprehension. I will say this much: G-d is the Creator of all that is, and for some reason, He CARES about how we treat each other. I do believe He interacts with us, but in ways that are hard to pin down exactly what's going on. I'm not concerned about the historicity of the sacred texts as I am about the lessons they teach. Like, I think that G-d gave us the Torah, but did it go down exactly as recorded in Exodus? How should I know? It doesn't matter.

I have studied almost all the major religions in the world, and have a preferential fondness for Taoism and Native American spirituality. I think that every person who considers themselves educated will be Bible-literate. I think of the Lord of the Rings as my "other bible." Despite the obvious disagreements between various religions, I think a lot can be gained from studying their wisdom. The sages say, "Let the wisdom of the nations be your wisdom, but do not let their Torah be your Torah."

What I have difficulty with is understanding secular thinking. While the religious man makes a distinction between the sacred and the profane, the secular man doesn't believe anything is sacred. When I try to imagine a life without festivals and sacred days, without rites of passage, without anything sacred, it's like imagining in black and white. Have you ever read "The Sacred and the Profane"? It's a classic text for undertanding the difference between religious and secular thinking.

A word on agnosticism: Everyone who has a good brain has doubts. The theist sometimes wonders if there is no G-d. The atheist sometimes wonders, what if there is a G-d after all. I don't think the fact that we never know anything for sure makes us agnostics. I will classify as agnostic someone who not only says they don't know, but they LIVE THEIR LIFE inconsistantly as if G-d may OR may not exist. Again, we return to the Jewish emphasis on actions: If you say you are an atheist but you live your life AS THOUGH G-d exists, I think of you as a theist. If you say you are a theist, but live your life AS THOUGH there were no G-d, I say you are not believer at all. And YES, I do know a lot of religious atheists (meaning they live as theists even though they don't believe in G-d) -- I pray with them every Friday night.

Shalom!!!!!

I would consider myself to be Christian but I believe that the Church has brought many wrongs into existence. Therefore when I meet with others it is usually not in a "church" setting. I dislike church unless it's a home church where people are actually trying to help out THEIR community.

Think about it: If 12 adults give a 10% tithe and they make say, $30,000 a year each, that could help provide for a couple families in their area who have need. Vs, if they were members of a church that money would probably go entirely to building costs; very sad.

I also dislike the way the church treats anyone who is different than them in any way. But I know individual Christians who treat people better.

Last edited:
Reactions: endersgone
I'm a Christian. :) I've considered myself lots of things throughout the years. But this is what fits.

No religion ... only the belief that everything revolves around positive and negative energy.

I would consider myself to be Christian but I believe that the Church has brought many wrongs into existence. Therefore wehn I meet with others it is usually not in a c"church" setting. I dislike church unless it's a home church where people are actually trying to help out THEIR community.

Think about it: If 12 adults give a 10% tithe and they make say, $30,000 a year each, that could help provide for a couple families in their area who have need. Vs, if they were members of a church that money would probably go entirely to building costs; very sad.

I also dislike the way the church treats anyone who is different than them in any way. But I know individual Christians who treat people better.

woah woah, it's been awhile. Good to see your posts again :)

I would say I probably fall under the category of secular humanism.

I'm A Buddhist Atheist, and that is not an oxymoron. :hippie: