INFJ on a Team | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ on a Team

I also hate working in teams. I have noticed that I have to adopt the J type of approach in most team environments unless there are some other ambitious drivers. If I have to adopt to J I am pretty miserable, if I am in a team that has all members pull their fair share, or at least has a good driver, I make sure everyone is comfortable.

yep, that's me!!

Y'know, working in teams is a frequent occurrence for me now and I'm analysing myself in every project I'm doing.

One major thing with me is that if I am not emotionally invested in what I am doing- you can just forget about. As my field is an exclusively creative one, it's incredibly important for me to feel that what we're doing not only serves my values of what I believe to be an worthwhile endeavour but for it to have personal value. If it doesn't have that, or the team is not interested in such involvement, I will tune out completely. Although I will support the decisions, in order to get what needs to done, completed, I will be internally apathetic.

Indeed...

I will still work hard, but it will feel empty somehow.

I have always worked on teams, so I do fine with that. I have also been lucky to have been in careers (and hence projects)that I can care about, sometimes very deeply. There are, however, on occasion some I don't like...generally those involving internal politics and the egos of adult children. I try to avoid those...no interest.

I was going to put items in bold that applied to me, but everything on that list hit me dead on. Impressive.

The only difference I see in myself and that description (even though this fits what I'm about to state, I just want to clarify a little) is that I try to include everything about a person's potential in their social role, and I believe in being more objective oriented than reference point oriented.

For example:

On an team, I believe everyone should have a role, but they should also be extremely flexible in their role - able to adapt to whatever comes up.

When making assignments, I believe the team objective should be met in whatever way best meets it. I highly encourage improvisation and adaptability on my teams and am far less concerned about making checkpoints and mini objectives than meeting the overall goals. How we get there, and who does what, is of far less importance to me than the goals being met. Often, the best way is one that presents itself as we go.

I was going to put items in bold that applied to me, but everything on that list hit me dead on. Impressive.

The only difference I see in myself and that description (even though this fits what I'm about to state, I just want to clarify a little) is that I try to include everything about a person's potential in their social role, and I believe in being more objective oriented than reference point oriented.

For example:

On an team, I believe everyone should have a role, but they should also be extremely flexible in their role - able to adapt to whatever comes up.

When making assignments, I believe the team objective should be met in whatever way best meets it. I highly encourage improvisation and adaptability on my teams and am far less concerned about making checkpoints and mini objectives than meeting the overall goals. How we get there, and who does what, is of far less importance to me than the goals being met. Often, the best way is one that presents itself as we go.

Thank you for adding that! That bold part is true for me a lot of the time as well.

Thank you for adding that! That bold part is true for me a lot of the time as well.

Yeah, I think that's a very Ni trait. We have a really good ability to key into what's going to happen, which also gives us a very keen awareness of variables that cannot be predicted (they feel like silhouettes to me), and therefore protect ourselves from them as best as we can by 'being ready for anything'.

The more rigid approach described in the OP is more akin to ISFJs and INFJs who haven't developed their Ni and Fe fully. When Fe blossoms, it becomes extremely accepting of others, and with Ni's influence able to pull out a great deal more potential than what lies on the surface.

That is nice and all, but it's too positive. Where's the nitty-gritty TRUTH?

"How INFJs Respond to Change
When a change doesn