I'm afraid of learning about myself | INFJ Forum

I'm afraid of learning about myself

floatingbridge

Life's a ride
Donor
Aug 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Too much learning of infj stuff can really make you stop and think about your actions. I'm afriad I might become too well-rehearsed about what I do in a group interaction, and so forth..and become non-infj (what is that?). I'll think whatever I say next is a stereotypical, cliche infj thing to say and won't say it. Who will I become??

This post's unclearness is disturbing to me on more than one level....

I actually felt the same what when I dove head first into learning about this stuff. However, I came to realise, that I actually started becoming a better person (and others noticed it too). There isn't any reason to be apprehensive, just be who you are and what you are inclined to do, even if it is cliche.

This post's unclearness is disturbing to me on more than one level....

From what I can gather she is afraid that learning about INFJ will put a "bias" on her personality; causing her to act only as a stereotypical INFJ.

Too much learning of infj stuff can really make you stop and think about your actions. I'm afriad I might become too well-rehearsed about what I do in a group interaction, and so forth..and become non-infj (what is that?). I'll think whatever I say next is a stereotypical, cliche infj thing to say and won't say it. Who will I become??

I know what you mean pipsqueaka, it has happen to me alot of times as well in the past when I thought I had preferences for the ENFP type. I remember that I used to be loud on purpose and acted like a "cool" kid Lol but it's actually through self-discovery that you know who in essence are you really inside. It took me months of research to finally settle upon this type for good. I find the MBTI to be simply a tool to start this search of finding and appreciating yourself and a way to start asking questions about your personality; but by no means you should treat this as a manual for your conduct.

I know what you mean also. You can be mostly an INFJ but there is always something different in every INFJ. No one can ever be exactly defined. You are your own person.

For instance, have you ever heard ppl questioning their MBTI? Thinking they are an INFP or an INTJ b/c of this or that, but overall they are mostly INFJ? It's like that!

Hope I helped somewhat :m105:

I know what you mean, but most of that depends on how you approach MBTI. Are you looking for confirmation as to who you are (crafting an identity), or are you looking to better understand your behaviors (understanding why you might do the things you do)? I think that's very important.

Personally, I don't put much faith in personality tests. It's too tempting to try and identify with the profile than it is to recognize the profile as a summary of behavioral tendencies. MBTI isn't fool proof. It's a collective ratio that examines four different categorical tendencies. You can fall anywhere along the scale and overlap with other profiles while still be slotted into one type. I don't think there is anyone out there that is a "pure INFJ" or a "pure ENTP" or whatever.

I noticed you starting a lot of conclusive, INFJ label-related topics on the forums--are we this or are we that? Do you do this too?--- all in one day. Don't take this as any form of snarkiness whatsoever, but I'm insatiably curious. What are you looking for when you ask these sort of questions?

I noticed you starting a lot of conclusive, INFJ label-related topics on the forums--are we this or are we that? Do you do this too?--- all in one day. Don't take this as any form of snarkiness whatsoever, but I'm insatiably curious. What are you looking for when you ask these sort of questions?

I don't know..but how embarrassing! (myself)

*After some thinking*
Perhaps cos this is all relatively new, I want try see how close/ real/ true/ practical/close or far from the 'truth', this whole infj thing is. Maybe try an get a collective answer through asking for many people (infjs)-- despite everyone being different and not exactly the same.

It's sort of like the feeling of complete belief in MBTI then, complete disbelief (its trash), and then in-between. This leads to the questions of 'how could I use this knowledge', 'is it even knowledge', 'can I really do anything about it?' I hope that is not a too unsatisfactory answer

I don't know..but how embarrassing! (myself)

*After some thinking*
Perhaps cos this is all relatively new, I want try see how close/ real/ true/ practical/close or far from the 'truth', this whole infj thing is. Maybe try an get a collective answer through asking for many people (infjs)-- despite everyone being different and not exactly the same.

It's sort of like the feeling of complete belief in MBTI then, complete disbelief (its trash), and then in-between. This leads to the questions of 'how could I use this knowledge', 'is it even knowledge', 'can I really do anything about it?' I hope that is not a too unsatisfactory answer

Unsatisfactory or satisfactory is in the eye of the one who writes their answers. I found it insightful. :)

What have you discovered so far? Do you think its true? Partially true?

Last edited:
Unsatisfactory or satisfactory is in the eye of the one who writes their answers. I found it insightful. :)

What have you discovered so far? Do you think its true? Partially true?

I think it could be true, yes. But that does not particularly make life better at all. But it is a piece of knowledge.

Some piece of knowledge I can do something about/ make useful? Highly unlikely. But that doesn't make life worse.

I find most things in life quite neutral. I say this all quite neutrally.

Last edited: