If you could know your future... | INFJ Forum

If you could know your future...

Scientia

A true lady
Aug 28, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
If you had the opportunity to know your entire future but knowing ahead of time meant that you couldn't change it at all, would you still want to know what will happen?

I don't think I would want to know.

No. I would not want to know. Then theres the whole thing about knowing your future changing your future.
But seriously if I had known what was in store for me a couple oc years ago Im not sure I could have gone through it.

If you had the opportunity to know your entire future but knowing ahead of time meant that you couldn't change it at all, would you still want to know what will happen?

I always need to feel in control of my life, especially when it comes to change. So, no. I would not want to know.

Nawh I dont want to know.

Great question! No, I would definitely not. It's disturbing enough to think that the future may be unchangeable when I don't know what it is. I certainly wouldn't want to know it and have all hope of being in control dashed away.

Related, though, is I think I would like to know certain things about my future, even if they could not be changed. I don't think I'm alone in that, as psychics and Tarot card readings are popular. Some complain that those methods always tend to be vague-- vague enough that the psychic can seem impressive until you deconstruct their predictions. But perhaps that vagueness is actually their strengths: they provide insight into the future without either admitting that it cannot be changed or giving such certitude that we have no free will.

Really great question, though! I'm really curious if anyone says "Yes" off the bat.

Knowing your unchangeable future would kind of ruin the experience I'd think. Like someone telling you the ending of a whodunit. Thanks, asshole, might as well not continue reading, huh?

I would want to see into my future. NOT the whole story but a flash or a vision would suffice!

No, I wouldn't want to know. It's better that way... I probably would become crazy about thinking when some bad things would happen and how to stop them happening in the future etc. Too much for my mind.

Knowing your unchangeable future would kind of ruin the experience I'd think. Like someone telling you the ending of a whodunit. Thanks, asshole, might as well not continue reading, huh?

Spoiler. But so tempting.

I answered "no" but I'm sure I would first try and find a loophole in the rules. I would want the proposition in writing so that I may pick it apart word for word. If I don't find anything that will help me finagle a peek without the possibility of change, then I would say "no".

And I would request at least 24 hours to make my final decision.

Why would you ask this? I feel most of us know quite a bit about our future already, including things we do not feel we could change easily. Many of us would like to change things about our future already, knowing what we feel is going to happen....or how it will be. So many things change when we change one thing. How we act around others could change with a simple change of desires or wishes.

Would you change your future if you could now?

No, not my entire future. Only what is necessary to believe I still have faith in the power of the choices I make.

I think I would want to know my future ,that way I could learn to be happy focusing on the present ,and have years to come to peace with what ever will happen to me while going with the flow as I went through life understanding that enjoying the journey is more important then trying to achieve something in the future that will happen no matter what I do.

So It's only a closed future if I know or is it a closed future regardless.

No.

First of all I like figuring things out as they come along because my mind craves puzzles of all kinds. Secondly, that'd be way too many spoilers. I would get bored.

I like a bit of uncertainty and randomness and I like to succeed in places where I'm not assured that I can.

Reactions: Scientia
I ask this because I have an idea that most people would know the future if they could but at the same time feel trapped if they cannot possibly change their circumstances. If knowing makes it unchangeable, is that knowledge worth it?

I don't know if I would change my future because I don't know what I don't know. I would like the option of flexibility, though.

We all need change sometimes. I agree to the flexibility.