I have a question.... Is it possible to become dumb? | INFJ Forum

I have a question.... Is it possible to become dumb?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by soulseeker, Jun 30, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by soulseeker
  1. soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I feel like I became dumb-er...... I can't think anymore

    I can think but I can't think deeper like I used to before... I forget things more easily.

    I can't reflect on the deeper things like I used to. Whenever I think of something like..... a quote for example, I know what it means but I can't explain it further.. I feel like I lost my ability to explain and dig deeper inside my head......

    I'm afraid I'll fail in school because of this......I just can't think and explain anymore

    Is it possible!?!?! I concentrate but I still can't explain things the way I use to......it's like my brain rejects everything... I lost everything :m142::m192::m169:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Matariki likes this.
  2. OP
    soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I don't use drugs........ I don't smoke.......but I'm becoming dumb-er .... I feel like I over think things too much and now I'm suffering.. I guess?!?!?!

    I don't want to lose my memory...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,381
    Messages:
    28,280
    Featured Threads:
    94
    Likes Received:
    22,833
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I think you're experiencing burn out. It happens. You're not dumb, probably just stressed and tired.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lucifer

    Lucifer Registered User #666

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2009
    Threads:
    88
    Messages:
    1,896
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    I would say yes it is. There could be a lot of reasons from mental laziness, to fatigue to depression, to ummm a head injury, and yes doing drugs can also do that.

    You can reverse most of those things though.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I hope I can reverse it.... and I hope it's just a burnout :)

    I don't want to have dementia..... or amnesia
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Lucifer

    Lucifer Registered User #666

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2009
    Threads:
    88
    Messages:
    1,896
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Don't panic lots of people go through varying levels of mental acuity it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you.

    Or at least it doesn't mean amnesia.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    You asked this already. In this thread.
     
  8. OP
    soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ

    Thank you :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. OP
    soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    It wasn't even a question.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. testing

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Threads:
    37
    Messages:
    902
    Likes Received:
    90
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    qwer
    Are you getting enough sleep? Seriously.

    If you are chronically sleep deprived, it messes with your brain powerfully. Teenagers actually need more sleep than adults, too -- something like 9 hours, I think. Also, chronic stress (I understand from previous posts your situation can be stressful.) But you may need more sleep than you are getting; your memory and brain function so much worse on not enough sleep. I've been through periods of sleep deprivation where I could hardly remember my own name.

    (And yeah, drugs, alcohol, etc., obviously, affect your brain.)
     
  11. OP
    soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I think I get 4-7 hours of sleep........

    Also i THINK the way I study affected it..... there's soooo much to study and I don't want to fail or have a 7/10. I don't want to go to school not being ready for the class so I do everything to study everything. I memorize a lot of things and research more about it... and there are days when I have a lot of assignments and I just HAVE to memorize it....... so I think I over used my brain!??!?! is there such thing as overusing brains?? hehe I don't know

    and I don't really eat that much.. does that affect my brain? I eat vegetables and a lot of fruits and only two tablespoons of brown rice... or yogurt or cereal.... I don't really eat meat......
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. testing

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Threads:
    37
    Messages:
    902
    Likes Received:
    90
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    qwer
    No, you are not getting enough sleep, and you are under a lot of stress. Poor baby. It's a wonder you can think at all!

    You probably are not eating quite enough, either, though what you are eating sounds very healthy. You are probably spending too much energy worrying about school, grades.... who knows what else... and that sort of thing does sap your energy, so you have less left over for memory, learning, etc.

    Also, you have to make sure you're getting enough B vitamins and iron, or you brain and nervous system will not function as well -- also, fish oil is a great supplement for memory as well as mood. I'm not a nutritionist, but I do know your brain is not going to function as well if it is being starved.

    How about a week at a spa, no homework, no studying, no doing anything except having people catering to your every whim and ensuring you are being totally taken care of? :D (Sign me up for that too!!!!)
     
  13. OP
    soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ

    I don't think I have time to sleep bwahahhaah but I will whenever I can.

    bwahahahah that's like dream land :) :) :) let's both go!!!! (when it exists) hahahaha :) :) :)

    I hope my concentration and memory comes back :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Billy

    Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Threads:
    95
    Messages:
    4,826
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    381
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    ....
    You could also be getting older a little, I know my imagination was all I had when I was a preteen, I was always in fantasy land, my teen years were all about fantasy, and emotions... lots and lots and lots of emotions. Now as I am almost 30, its fantasy, emotions emotions emotions and precision/logic. The new thing my mind is doing is that its becoming incredibly logic based, it rips things apart and organizes it into a system, I can put this to use on any "fantasy" or abstract based thoughts and feelings generally. Concrete example is how I organize friendship inside my mind, it used to be about emotions, now its so much more its a huge abstract concept thats seen from differnt angles and perspectives, when I put it into this like little model inside my head its almost like a game, I start finding ways to make moves in advance, like getting better at chess. Instead of losing all your pawns you start organizing them into strategies but only because you can see them all working in tandem with the rest of the pieces and in opposition to your opponents pieces while you are trying to figure out emotionally "what kind of move would he make next because what kind of person is he?"

    I dunno its hard to describe...

    My belated point is that, they say it takes 10ish years to conquer your cognitive preference. If this is true, then it would explain how I could be so emotionally distant and cool as a child with only flashes of great sensitivity/feelings but always stuck in la la land because I was basically just my Ni preference and my other preferences were still way long to be developed. By the time I was 11 or 12 I became very moody, I started noticing girls, wanting to be normal, wanting to blend into everyone else and not be noticed, just really emotional. If this was the dawning of my figuring out how to use my Fe then that makes sense too, because from around 12 to 26 or so thats who and what I was. I will always prefer to be my Ni over all because its just what has been what I have been for as long as I can remember. But this logic stuff, its still new and I am learning how to do it every day. I listen to logical people I become drawn to them I want to see how they do what they do, this is like a conscious/subconscious thing going on I can tell... But its the counterweight to my paranoid and emotionally fragile core that has developed here to now.

    And I am glad, because goddamn I needed it. At the root of it all the logic will never replace how I value and what I value, it will simply offer me new ways to consider things and new data and new insights into concepts affecting me. At the root, essentially I think what the logic development is just my mind giving itself new choices.

    Instead of being a slave to my heart and not being able to see whats wrong for me because I am in love with it I can see the naked and practical truth, and it offers me choice, I can stay but I will be aware of my irrationality or I can be rational.

    So maybe you arent getting dumber, maybe you just dont need to engage your imagination quite as much or you are moving on to figuring out some new preference.
     
  15. testing

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Threads:
    37
    Messages:
    902
    Likes Received:
    90
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    qwer
    Let's sign Billy up for the spa trip, too, Soulseeker.

    (joking!)

    Although, to your point, yes, we do learn more about logic and are less ruled by emotions as we get older... our brains change... and that is a good thing! Though I am the wrong person to go on and on about that particular problem since, well, yeah... logic. urgh.
     
  16. Billy

    Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Threads:
    95
    Messages:
    4,826
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    381
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    ....
    I need something done to my face, my skin looks terrible and worn, do they have something for that at this spa?
     
  17. athenian200

    athenian200 Protocol Droid
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
    Threads:
    13
    Messages:
    650
    Likes Received:
    77
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Not really. You can become slower and lazier, though. The brain is kind of like a muscle... if you've been focusing on a lot of repetitive, unimaginative things, your ability to think deeply and imagine tends to weaken.

    That has happened to me, but it always comes back if I can find the time to relax, talk to deeper people, focus on my imagination again. When I can't find the time, I'm a terribly boring and empty person.

    The same thing happens when learning languages. If you learn a new language, and you go long enough without speaking your native language, you can actually start to forget it. I've heard of this happening.

    Of course, once you start speaking it again, it starts coming back to you.

    Do you understand the analogy?
     
  18. testing

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Threads:
    37
    Messages:
    902
    Likes Received:
    90
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    qwer
    I'm sure they do, since it is a fictional spa, located on the island of Fiji, where you can have anything done to your skin you want, be fanned with palm fronds, and even have little flowers painted on your big toenails if you find that relaxing. The point is to relax!

    I seriously doubt your skin looks terrible and worn, however. You probably only need to relax and get some sleep just as much as Soulseeker does!
     
  19. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    This will help to loosen up that grey matter.

    IMAGE STREAMING.pdf

    Have fun and keep an open mind with this
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dudemanbro and sumone like this.
Loading...

Share This Page