JCPA

Donor
May 11, 2011
Denver, CO
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Not a clue
Recall a dream you've had and share it here. Be as brief or as detailed as you like. Feel free to analyze its symbolism or meaning.

As a child, I would occasionally dream about myself as a grown up. It was always the same, I would envision a big, tall guy wearing a suit and tie, but with a child's head on top of the body (my head to be more specific). I could never fully appreciate the meaning of this, other that I would remain a child at heart.

When I was a kid I had recurring dreams of myself being trapped in an all white room with one giant inanimate object looming over me.. One night it might be a chair, the next, a bicycle.. And nothing really ever happened in the dreams besides me just standing before the object being afraid of its size.

I don't know what the dreams mean.. or meant. When I was younger, I used to get dizzy and nauseous whenever we went to the city and I looked up at the sky scrapers. Maybe it has a little to do with that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGirl
I recently had a dream about what I imagine death feels like, it was a dream that started slow... I saw images of my life - the people I loved and cared about, the choices I made, etc. It began to speed up - I remember the fear...the thought of never seeing any of it again - I wanted to stay in this state and reflect on my life and the people I loved, but I needed to let go. So I eventually did, the images of my life began to slow/stop and then images of some very large, brightly lit machinery came into view. It all began to slowly shut down, I was letting go of it all, happy with what my existence was and what was to happen next... all the machinery stopped everything faded into darkness - and that was it.

I'd imagine it was me trying to come to terms with my own views on life/death... the unknown continues to fascinate and scare me.

I frequently have dreams that take me back to high school. Except this time I have forgotten which class I am to attend and cannot remember my locker combination. I am not necessarily frustrated, but fearful of being late to class (and which class is it?)

... or the dumb dreams where I show up to high school only wearing a towel.

I recently had a dream about what I imagine death feels like, it was a dream that started slow... I saw images of my life - the people I loved and cared about, the choices I made, etc. It began to speed up - I remember the fear...the thought of never seeing any of it again - I wanted to stay in this state and reflect on my life and the people I loved, but I needed to let go. So I eventually did, the images of my life began to slow/stop and then images of some very large, brightly lit machinery came into view. It all began to slowly shut down, I was letting go of it all, happy with what my existence was and what was to happen next... all the machinery stopped everything faded into darkness - and that was it.

I'd imagine it was me trying to come to terms with my own views on life/death... the unknown continues to fascinate and scare me.

I had a similar experience where a dream of mine sped up as my fear intensified. Were you by chance listening to music while you slept?

I used to dream about things that were spinning around, such as me sitting in a office chair or a basketball on my finger. I could never get them to stop spinning. What I remember is concentrating really hard on getting them to completely stop, but all I could manage to do is get them to spin slower, or stop briefly, before resuming the faster spinning. I would then have to move the dream onto something else because I got so frustrated.

The dreams I remember best followed an apocalyptic theme. One of these put me in a cave, surrounded by a breathing, comforting darkness. Before me was a small pond in what I perceived to be the center of the cave's main chamber. This pond was like Galadriel's prophetic mirror in Lord of the Rings: storms of images from around the world would flare in my dream self's mind. Always at the end of the torrents (I had this dream many times), I would vividly see Earth encompassed in a silver-white fire (I got the sense it was purifying man of its' evil) careening through the galaxy towards the sun; on impact, there was a silent burst - a supernova that deconstructed everything into nothingness. Then my dream self would be grabbed into the surrounding darkness and suffocated. Then I would wake up.

I can only assume this was my subconscious rebelling against the horrible things mankind has done and continues to do, demanding omnicide as redemptive justice.

There was another that repeated a lot, along the same vein but more personal. I would be placed in a late Gothic mansion that served as an insane asylum (some forms of insanity run in my family, from what my mother has told me). I was always running towards distant screams, whispering voices and wraith-like shadows maddeningly lingering on the edge of perception. The interior of the asylum would change, like the House of Leaves if any of you have read it, and halls would lengthen or shrink, sometimes bending downward to drop into a murky abyss. When I reached the rooms containing the screams, I would find scenes of my family members being violently and tortuously killed. Every time I left a room the wraiths would get closer and voices louder, until eventually they reached out to touch me and I couldn't hear anything outside their gibbering. I would awaken when they touched my body, usually crying or extremely scared.

I assume they symbolized the losses I had experienced and portrayed the isolation I felt within grief, and my inability to connect with my 'peers' and community adults.

I don't remember my dreams often anymore; I'm glad,
considering their terrifying nature.
Looking back to even a few
years ago, I was a rather
disturbed child.

How quickly things change...

Last edited:
I used to dream about things that were spinning around, such as me sitting in a office chair or a basketball on my finger. I could never get them to stop spinning. What I remember is concentrating really hard on getting them to completely stop, but all I could manage to do is get them to spin slower, or stop briefly, before resuming the faster spinning. I would then have to move the dream onto something else because I got so frustrated.

Let it go...or at least let it be. You were/are trying to control something in your life that was beyond your control and it caused you great stress. (and probably a lot of headaches)

I had a similar experience where a dream of mine sped up as my fear intensified. Were you by chance listening to music while you slept?

It's interesting that you should ask; I was actually listening to a television show on investigative discovery (via headphones). It's certainly possible that my itunes playlist switched over to music sometime after I fell back to sleep.

Nightmares are often about choking to death. Last night I had a nightmare about exploring a dark dungeon and being attacked on all sides with no light. On the other hand, I once had a "nightmare" where oil started leaking out of a plug in the wall and my little sister was there, calmly saying "It's okay, that happens sometimes." I have no idea how it was scary when I had it.

My non nightmares are usually 3rd person point of view and are weird storylines. Like one I had about the rich getting packages in the mail and the poor getting only letters. Also, the characters were vegetables.

It's interesting that you should ask; I was actually listening to a television show on investigative discovery (via headphones). It's certainly possible that my itunes playlist switched over to music sometime after I fell back to sleep.

I think any auditory stimulation would drive some fantastic dreams. My experience was during an afternoon nap, while listening to a new album Goldie - Incredible Sound of Drum N Bass, after a long day at school and after giving blood for the first time (which went badly). I wrote my dream down immediately after waking--I'll see if I can dig it up for this thread. My nightmare filled with all kinds of symbols from that day and fueled by some intense music. Here's one of the songs:

[video=youtube;GjByRvF3wQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjByRvF3wQc[/video]

When I was around 6, I dreamed I was holding on to strings tied to a bunch of balloons. The balloons floated up into the sky with me holding onto them below. I began to feel scared. As the balloons rose higher, they began to pop, one by one. My fear escalated rapidly as more balloons disappeared above me. At the apex of my terror, I somehow became self-aware in the dream and thought, "This can't be real!" I repeated it to myself one or two more times and suddenly became aware of the comfort of my bed hugging my body. As I regained consciousness, I found myself waking in my bed, my body clenched tightly by stress, which slowly dissipate as I realized what had happened. I had a dream.

Occasionally I have dreams that come true. It's a little creepy. They are different then other benign dreams that I have. They are vivid, very real, and in them I feel what is happening. Meaning I can feel the cold air, dirt on my feet, sweat, etc. I also feel all of the feelings of the people in the dream. It's very bizarre and a little frightening because the dreams aren't always pleasant. Any thoughts on this?

Occasionally I have dreams that come true.

I have heard and read that many Jungian Psychotherapists hold the belief that an individual's Unconscious mind is not rooted in the here and now. As a result the individual's entire life experience is available for symbolization.

Reactions: muir and #@&5&49
Hmm, that's interesting. You could almost say that when we are conscious, we are actually less conscious.

I had a dream a while ago, I was driving a car with my brother next to me. We would start off driving fast, then suddenly there would be a loud static noise, and the world would go dark, and I would be forced to stop. Eventually the lights of the world would come back on, and we would start going again. They became so frequent that I could never get going very fast. For the record, I'm pretty clear on what the dream meant to me.

I had a dream a while ago, I was driving a car with my brother next to me. We would start off driving fast, then suddenly there would be a loud static noise, and the world would go dark, and I would be forced to stop. Eventually the lights of the world would come back on, and we would start going again. They became so frequent that I could never get going very fast. For the record, I'm pretty clear on what the dream meant to me.

I have a couple guesses of my own. If I may... two questions: How is your sleep schedule at night? Do you procrastinate during the daytime?

My guess is you typically stay awake all hours through the night. During the daytime, you may need someone to help motivate you to stay on task. --This is just a quick and dirty judgement based on your dream. Your thoughts?

What I neglected to say is we were driving home, and I tried various solutions and they didn't work, essentially getting the feeling that "I'll never get home at this rate".

I do procrastinate, I do stay awake a lot at night, when I was younger a lot of people tried to "help motivate" me, and it only frustrated me. Although that could explain the presence of my brother in the car with me, because seeing how much more action oriented he is sometimes does motivate me.

I've interpreted it to mean basically that I start off after my goals and all, but the process that leads to a productive cycle tends to be short-circuited (happens sometimes as a result of procrastination or something I suppose) then I get into a funk, and I begin to doubt myself a lot. (Hence the world goes dark) And I wallow in inaction.

I have some pretty great goals, its just I have a kind of execution block. That I need to overcome.

Let it go...or at least let it be. You were/are trying to control something in your life that was beyond your control and it caused you great stress. (and probably a lot of headaches)

Thanks for the advice.

What I neglected to say is we were driving home, and I tried various solutions and they didn't work, essentially getting the feeling that "I'll never get home at this rate".

I do procrastinate, I do stay awake a lot at night, when I was younger a lot of people tried to "help motivate" me, and it only frustrated me. Although that could explain the presence of my brother in the car with me, because seeing how much more action oriented he is sometimes does motivate me.

I've interpreted it to mean basically that I start off after my goals and all, but the process that leads to a productive cycle tends to be short-circuited (happens sometimes as a result of procrastination or something I suppose) then I get into a funk, and I begin to doubt myself a lot. (Hence the world goes dark) And I wallow in inaction.

I have some pretty great goals, its just I have a kind of execution block. That I need to overcome.

You're an extravert, right? Why would you be so pressed to go home? What was your interpretation of the dream's meanings?

Might as well try to get this thread going again, I enjoy reading dreams.

Last night I had a pretty unusual dream - There were these entities called watchers - they appeared as large dark eyes in the sky. I saw that humans only interacted and cared for each other while the watchers could see them, if they wandered off out of sight they were capable of unusual things - immortality/being completely lost in thought. In one part of my dream I clearly remember a man wandering out of the watchers sight, he got lost in thought - everything around him began to change, but he existed as he did before - hundreds of years passed, his house deteriorated into nothing - as did the young children he had long since forgotten. He finally stepped back into the sight of the watchers, and just like that he remembered everything...