I Am An Alcoholic | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

I Am An Alcoholic

Because: that state of mind should be able to be achieved at all times without the use of any substance.
Maybe it shouldn't.

Weed creates tax revenue for schools, hospitals, and other essential public services.

Open up your heart.

Maybe it shouldn't.

Weed creates tax revenue for schools, hospitals, and other essential public services.

Open up your heart.
I've written many papers supporting it.
So... yeah.
My heart is usually most often open.
I thought ppl knew that tho.

I know this dude has caused some ruckus on the forum, but I see no harm in giving him the benefit of a doubt. At the end of the day, we all have to square up with ourselves and if he needs support, I'm happy to offer some.

You did the first step right and admitted that you had a problem; now it's a matter of your commitment to do better and your willingness to be honest with yourself. There are going to be days where you might fall off the bandwagon, when there may be a greater urge to give into old habits because the old habits are easier to deal with than the new ones, and you're going to be grappling with yourself. It's a good idea to have a 'break glass in case of emergency' plan already set up. Line up a friend you can call or a video game quest that will take an hour or two to resolve. If you know you don't do well if you're alone at home, immediately leave the house and go for a walk or run a few errands. In fact, try your best to supplant the habit to partake with another activity.

In general, I would recommend staying busy and reaching for a variety of different experiences. If you can afford it, sign up for different activities or a volunteer group. People often turn to addiction when they're bored or when they're stuck in a rut. Fight that by putting some fun, enjoyable things on your plate instead. Start watching more positive films or listening to inspiring podcasts. Thing that uplift the spirit and make you feel plugged into the world.

In the meanwhile, do talk to your doctor and go see a counselor if you can... or even an AA meeting (those are free). They have all the appropriate resources to help you. Get yourself fully tested, check your liver and look into taking care of your health.

Alcohol is a disorder that a lot of people struggle with, but it is something that many people have successfully recovered from too. I'm sure you'll be able to tell your story one day too.

I know this dude has caused some ruckus on the forum, but I see no harm in giving him the benefit of a doubt. At the end of the day, we all have to square up with ourselves and if he needs support, I'm happy to offer some.
I agree with this.

I apologize if I had seemed unsupportive, or came across the wrong way.

I will still be chanting and rooting for you @A Guy . I am hopeful.

But, I will never be an addictions counselor for this reason. Lol. Not my forte. I can be a tough love type of person (at times), especially in these moments due to my background and experiences with it all.

Last edited:

You did the first step right and admitted that you had a problem; now it's a matter of your commitment to do better and your willingness to be honest with yourself. There are going to be days where you might fall off the bandwagon, when there may be a greater urge to give into old habits because the old habits are easier to deal with than the new ones, and you're going to be grappling with yourself. It's a good idea to have a 'break glass in case of emergency' plan already set up. Line up a friend you can call or a video game quest that will take an hour or two to resolve. If you know you don't do well if you're alone at home, immediately leave the house and go for a walk or run a few errands. In fact, try your best to supplant the habit to partake with another activity.

In general, I would recommend staying busy and reaching for a variety of different experiences. If you can afford it, sign up for different activities or a volunteer group. People often turn to addiction when they're bored or when they're stuck in a rut. Fight that by putting some fun, enjoyable things on your plate instead. Start watching more positive films or listening to inspiring podcasts. Thing that uplift the spirit and make you feel plugged into the world.

In the meanwhile, do talk to your doctor and go see a counselor if you can... or even an AA meeting (those are free). They have all the appropriate resources to help you. Get yourself fully tested, check your liver and look into taking care of your health.

Alcohol is a disorder that a lot of people struggle with, but it is something that many people have successfully recovered from too. I'm sure you'll be able to tell your story one day too.
Agreed. :)

No worries @A Guy If I cried over every person that said something wrong to me, I'd forever be sad. Sometimes things can strike me deeply, especially if it's from someone I care deeply about, but you haven't done anything other than petty grievances to me and honestly I never thought twice about it. But the fact that you came on here and was vulnerable, now I'm thinking twice but in a good way, because it means alot when someone is trying to open up even though it is hard. So good luck on your journey. :) I'll be here if ya need help!

Last edited:
It doesn't have to do with being a positive or negative person. For some, it has the opposite effect. It doesn't chill everyone out. For some it heightens/accelerates/whatever our cognitive functions. Meaning: Ni-Ti loop amplifies. It's not fun.

I wish I could explain better.

You mean, makes us INFJs a little too over analytical?

Hello @A Guy I'm wondering about this. Have you been an alcoholic most of your life? If so, when did it start and why?

I hope I am not treading too heavily here, but is alcoholism a disease in itself or is it a by product of more serious mental health concerns, like ptsd or depression? I apologize in advance if the questions are too personal. You don't have to answer them.

I am going to cheer you on. I couldn't care less whether or not this thread is a prank. For whatever it is, honesty takes us into good places. I hope you find yours soon. Keep going!

I am starting this tread because I am an alcoholic and suffer with this addiction. I have been living in this shadow and hurting a lot of people because of it. I have become distasteful and unpalatable to those around me and myself. I know I have set out a lot of confusion as to who I am. I am not the shadow of alcoholism and I deserve better for myself and the good people of this forum don't deserve the things I have said. I am in the process of uplifting my self and I hit rock bottom this morning. No one has to believe me alcohol will turn you into a liar. I now realize I chose this medium because I am seeking help and I have now found it through my personal support network. You all deserve an apology for my actions. I no longer want to push people away due to my own self worth issues, much love.

Another Note: I think it might be a great idea to open up something for addiction on this forum.

@Deleted member 16771 @Wyote @April @Ren @Whomever else I have victimized or negatively impacted

View attachment 54902

Well........I just got done battling my way out of a major relapse.

It’s entirely possible to quit.

PM me if you would like to talk. I know what you’re dealing with.

I did hear once that those who are drunk are more likely to speak the truth. It is true that often those who abuse drugs make the drugs responsible for those who take them. Alcohol is no different.

The lies they tell lie in their self-victimisation. It is not just an addict thing, either. Any person with a serious problem is capable of it, be it that they poison themselves through their actions or substances that impede their judgement.

It's a good thing to speak up about it, as I also know people with similar issues that don't feel like they can speak up, or don't even recognise that there even is an issue with their abuse.
It is time that they wake up, and that you not only get a chance to change, but actually get the chance to perform that change. I know that it is hard to make the first steps, the agony of the initial withdrawral, but with help and support, I am sure that you can make it.

Coming from a former drunk. A lot of drunks say things they don’t mean or even think when sober.

Alcohol removes inhibition, raises and exaggerates emotions, and causes less cognitive functions. This causes all kinds of bullshit and saying regretful evil things over something trivial.

However...... It is all still the responsibility of the one who chose to drink. Especially if they are aware of the affect alcohol has or might have on them.

I am starting this tread because I am an alcoholic and suffer with this addiction. I have been living in this shadow and hurting a lot of people because of it. I have become distasteful and unpalatable to those around me and myself. I know I have set out a lot of confusion as to who I am. I am not the shadow of alcoholism and I deserve better for myself and the good people of this forum don't deserve the things I have said. I am in the process of uplifting my self and I hit rock bottom this morning. No one has to believe me alcohol will turn you into a liar. I now realize I chose this medium because I am seeking help and I have now found it through my personal support network. You all deserve an apology for my actions. I no longer want to push people away due to my own self worth issues, much love.

Another Note: I think it might be a great idea to open up something for addiction on this forum.

@Deleted member 16771 @Wyote @April @Ren @Whomever else I have victimized or negatively impacted

View attachment 54902
This is a good first step - self-honesty is sometimes hard but ultimately rewarding.

Why don't you start by telling us who you are, Chris? What is the man like who is the best version of you? :) What are you into?

Nobody should be defined by their problems.

A dear friend of mine (and ex from I was 15-21) is a high functioning alcoholic. He is the sweetest and kindest person I know, and I'm sure many will agree. When he is drunk however, he is so gross and totally careless about his surroundings. He's the opposite of his sober personally.

A dear friend of mine (and ex from I was 15-21) is a high functioning alcoholic. He is the sweetest and kindest person I know, and I'm sure many will agree. When he is drunk however, he is so gross and totally careless about his surroundings. He's the opposite of his sober personally.

That’s how it goes. It sucks

That's why one leg of recovery requires one to sit with the feelings of shame and guilt and face them. Facing our demons is the toughest thing we do as humans, and most of us put it off in one way or another. Some turn to the internet, some turn to sex, some turn to workaholism and others turn to substance abuse. You gotta accept that there's no more running and square up with who you are and what you need to change. The past is the past; that can't be undone. The present moment and the future, though, that's a fresh page to ink as we so choose.

Yeah, and the shame and guilt makes it very hard to stop, as being drunk is the only way to be get rid of those feelings?

Getting drunk does make you temporarily forget. Just more issues and pain left unresolved. It’s the easy way out instead of confronting the things you did.

As to OP, I'm going to be as professional as I can as to not get banned here. I actually like this forum...a lot so I waited to reply so I can choose my words a bit better

First off, you are one judgmental and harsh person. I'd love to ask your wife if you have been the best man for her 100% of the time, 24/7/365. You know, because I don't deserve a good woman ;)

Second, quit using alcohol as a scapegoat. I've been drunk a few times in my life. I can assure you I'm nowhere near as abrasive as you, sober or high or shit faced. Is it a safe assumption you are this way sober too? I don't think you need alcohol management, you need anger management.

Your choices are your choices, drunk or sober. It's up to you to change that. I truly wish you the best of luck, both for your alcohol issues and personality changes.

Last edited:
As to OP, I'm going to be as professional as I can as to not get banned here. I actually like this forum...a lot so I waited to reply so I can choose my words a bit better

First off, you are one judgmental and harsh person. I'd love to ask your wife if you have been the best man for her 100% of the time, 24/7/365. You know, because I don't deserve a good woman ;)

Second, quit using alcohol as a scapegoat. I've been drunk a few times in my life. I can assure you I'm nowhere near as abrasive as you, sober or high or shit faced. Is it a safe assumption you are this way sober too? I don't think you need alcohol management, you need anger management.

Some people get mean drunk.

I personally will sometimes get mean as hell. It only comes out if there’s a bad problem. In which, alcohol exaggerates things in my mind.

Sober, I am no where near mean, or vulgar with my words, thoughts, or actions. One thing which does influence mean/happy drunk is the amount of natural aggressiveness.

I’m an aggressive type. Not mean aggressive, strongly assertive would probably best describe.

Anyway, alcohol affects everyone differently. BTW, also where guilt comes from.
Shitty people by nature are never remorseful for bullshit sober or drunk.

Some people get mean drunk.

I personally will sometimes get mean as hell. It only comes out if there’s a bad problem. In which, alcohol exaggerates things in my mind.

Sober, I am no where near mean, or vulgar with my words, thoughts, or actions. One thing which does influence mean/happy drunk is the amount of natural aggressiveness.

I’m an aggressive type. Not mean aggressive, strongly assertive would probably best describe.

Anyway, alcohol affects everyone differently. BTW, also where guilt comes from.
Shitty people by nature are never remorseful for bullshit sober or drunk.
Good point I must say

I've Also met plenty of alcoholics who were the nicest, most humble people you can ever share your time with