[PUG] - Hypocrisy | INFJ Forum

[PUG] Hypocrisy

This

Banned
Oct 16, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
This word "hypocrite" tends to have different meanings to different people: What is your definition?

How do you define hypocrisy?
what is hypocrisy to you on a personal level?
are there any exceptions to your definition?
What are your opinions on people you see to be hypocrites and why do you see them that way?

Give me your opinions.

We are all hypocrites, liars and thieves. I see hypocrisy when people don't admit their own hypocrisy. Almost no one lives a genuine, and honest life.

Reactions: the
I agree with Sriracha. The most common usage of the word hypocricy is for those who preach one way but act a different way. It is important to note that the behavioral standard is not retroactive, since people can repent and change. Therefore the parent who used dope in their teen years can inform their kid, "Drugs will mess you up. Stay away from them," without being a hypocrite. The opposite of hypocricy is integrity, which for the benefit of this thread I'll describe as "Do what I DO." Someone who says, "Do as I do, and not as I did," is not a hypocrite, but a wise teacher.

I think we've all had moments of hypocricy, but I only use the word hypocrite when someone is routinely, unrepentantly hypocritical.

We are all hypocrites, liars and thieves. [..] Almost no one lives a genuine, and honest life.

Oh man, and here I thought I was an extremely cynical person. lol

To me, Hypocrisy is simply when one ascribes oneself to certain values, yet does not live by them.

To me, Hypocrisy is simply when one ascribes oneself to certain values, yet does not live by them.

Yes, I agree with this. Hypocrisy is having a stated set of values and telling /convincing others of said values and then not living according to those values.

Of course, people are prone to changing their minds but if your values keep changing then you'll likely be seen as fickle or untrustworthy.

Last edited:
We are all hypocrites, liars and thieves. I see hypocrisy when people don't admit their own hypocrisy. Almost no one lives a genuine, and honest life.

^^

Hypocrisy is...

words, not deeds.

This word "hypocrite" tends to have different meanings to different people: What is your definition?

What are your opinions on people you see to be hypocrites and why do you see them that way?

Give me your opinions.

hypocrisy to me is when someone places higher expectations of someone than they place on themselves. judges another's actions even though they have done the same at some previous time or would do the same thing in their position.

Yes, I agree with this. Hypocrisy is having a stated set of values and telling /convincing others of said values and then not living according to those values.
--I don’t agree…sometimes when you teach, it’s hard to do the same thing for yourself. For example, the doctor who takes care of everyone, but is unable to take care of himself.

hypocrisy to me is when someone places higher expectations of someone than they place on themselves. judges another's actions even though they have done the same at some previous time or would do the same thing in their position.

--agreed. And I have no respect for people who haven’t tried and judge from a distance. You don’t know anything until you’ve literally walked in that person’s shoes, and because we’re all very different you can’t judge at all. And it concerns me that one would spend their time doing so when you could’ve spent that time doing something more productive. Just saying. Waste of time in my opinion. I also really dislike people who just “observe” what others are doing and wait on the sidelines for them to falter and then swoop in…I’ve seen people like. No better than cowards in my opinion. Or zombies.

Give me your opinions.

Give me your opinion.