How would you act differently if you knew.... | INFJ Forum

How would you act differently if you knew....

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
How would you act differently in this life if you knew this life was the only thing there was for you? That when you die, thats it nothing more?

I suspect I would enter the medical research field looking for ways to extend life indefinitely.

funny+-+Buenaisla+-+(80).jpg

How would you act differently in this life if you knew this life was the only thing there was for you? That when you die, thats it nothing more?

I dont believe I would act any different, no one is to know that this isnt so in any case, perhaps God has not planned an afterlife for any of us.

I would act no differently. I do believe in an afterlife, but I believe the point of life is to live. I'll deal with the afterlife when I get there.

Why would one act differently?
There can be a better life to live than another life to live? What is your standard?

And if it is, according to what values?

But maybe you take this to mean in a purely relative individual meaning. Then again, why would one act differently? Whithout purpose? For diversity's sake?

I know this is not answering the question, but it seems the question is absurd whithout a little bit of context.

i do believe that, and thats why i have no conscience or other comparable sense of moral responsibility. i behave in ways that are completely selfish with no sense of consideration for the needs of other life forms. unless i can use them for something, and then i trick them into believing i care about them, until i get what i want out of them, then i start to ignore them. and when some officious, idiotic humans ask me to answer for my actions, i get rid of them by acting totally irrationally and saying anything that comes into my head regardless of whether it makes any sense or not, until they get fed up and stop bothering me. my life rocks.

Reactions: barbad0s
Answering the OP:
I would have more to think about..."Why in the world would I act differently? What is the difference in acting different?" and I will die with this question...or would I?...I don't think so...or maybe yes!

i do believe that, and thats why i have no conscience or other comparable sense of moral responsibility. i behave in ways that are completely selfish with no sense of consideration for the needs of other life forms. unless i can use them for something, and then i trick them into believing i care about them, until i get what i want out of them, then i start to ignore them. and when some officious, idiotic humans ask me to answer for my actions, i get rid of them by acting totally irrationally and saying anything that comes into my head regardless of whether it makes any sense or not, until they get fed up and stop bothering me. my life rocks.
here is the definition of wisdom. Socrate needs to learn from here.

[MENTION=9401]LucyJr[/MENTION] I wouldnt be able to say if you would or would not act differently. I would as stated above, spend perhaps my entire life trying to figure out how to live as long as possible. One might ask why, to which I would say, because I am compelled to. I am complelled to learn everything there is to know about how and why the natural world acts as it does. I am obsessed with answers to the point I would cheat death if I thought it was the only way I would ever get any.

I would act no differently. I do believe in an afterlife, but I believe the point of life is to live. I'll deal with the afterlife when I get there.

This is probably the wisest perspective, I read about a Jewish belief that God would judge you on the basis of why you hadnt lived life to the full and taken all the pleasure in creation which was intended and not simply on the sins you had committed or avoided.

I dont know that its doctrine or anything because I've also read that there's a big agnostic strain in Judahism or at least not necessarily predicting an afterlife as we may be nothing more than dust temporarily animated by the breath of God.

The thing is that right and wrong are right and wrong if you lived for ten years more or a hundred more or eternally.

With eternal life its more likely that you'll experience natural and logical consequences than if you're on short notice, maybe, and that might result in people making decisions that they'd not otherwise make. Lousy ones.

I wouldn't do anything different because I already operate under this assumption.

If I knew there was more after on the other hand, I'd probably procrastinate a lot more. In fact if I'm going to live forever then I might never actually do anything because I always have time to do it later.

I suppose conversely, what if you were certain of eternal life and eternal punishment or reward?

I suppose conversely, what if you were certain of eternal life and eternal punishment or reward?

I would dedicate my existence to punishing the punisher. Even an ant given enough time can figure out how to fell a human.

I would dedicate my existence to punishing the punisher. Even an ant given enough time can figure out how to fell a human.

That is very curious, what if the punishment is legitimate and justified? Why the automatic assumption that it deserves to be challenged?

That is very curious, what if the punishment is legitimate and justified? Why the automatic assumption that it deserves to be challenged?

Who decides that? A deity that may or may not have mankinds interest at heart? Another human?

On the flip side you may ask how do I decide if the punisher is deserving of punishment? A never ending mobous strip. I just figure anything above humanity judging and dolling out punishment as it see fit is fair game. Much like a bacterium can kill a human indirectly, so can a deity fall to something that is wrong or right about it deserving punishment. I am only human after all.

If I deserve to be judged so does it. If I deserve to be punished, so does it. Nothing is perfect. Nothing. Its all a matter of perspective.

I'd circumvent the question by redefining life in a way that no after life is necessary, in a way that Heaven and Hell are simple a continuity of our current lives.

I live My life being conscious and present (I am a very sloooowww work in progress, yup! :)). I don't believe I would act a lot differently if this was My one opportunity at life.

Since My Mother's death in 2001 and My brothers death in 2004, I am much more open to sharing My experiences with My family, friends, etc. I make more of an effort to communicate My love and am more vulnerable than ever. I am grateful for the gifts of a more genuine, pure, broader perspective from these painful physical deaths.

Thankfully, I believe what goes on here is such a tiny piece of this amazing Universe. I used to be I such a rush to leave, however these days I tend to enjoy My earth journey immensely. I don't believe Our spirits die, which is the most valuable gift I received from My Mom and brothers physical deaths.

Awesome question Eventhorizon.