How we develop our personality types

futuresound7

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

I found interesting articles on how INFJ's develop their personality type during their lifetime. It says that we are drawn to develop different functions at phases. Starting from Ni and Fe then moving down the function hierarchy towards Ti and Se. So the older the INFJ is the more fully the personality is developed and it's easier for more developed ones to access different parts of their psyche. For example many of us young INFJ's are tied to our iNtuitive perception and it's easy to ignore the realities and facts in our search of the big picture.

Older and more mature the INFJ is the more able they are to get the little things done and embrace Ti and Se activities. Get the toilet handle fixed and change the lightbulb when it burns etc. where young INFJ would go weeks and months without realizing the two inch dust layer covering their room :)
http://www.infj.com/INFJ_Individuation.htm
[SIZE=+1]1st period - 6 to 12 years (Introverted Intuiting)
[SIZE=+1]By innate preference you were drawn in childhood to develop your imagination and creativity. Perhaps you created an imaginary playmate, or several, with whom you secretly lived while your parents wondered about your dreamy silence. Only a favorite friend or two, or a wise and gentle parent, was permitted to share your world of make-believe. Teachers frequently had to remind you that you were not paying attention. It is hard for you to remember the details of this period, especially as details did not engage your interest. But you do recall the general atmosphere, whether of happiness, sadness, pain, or pleasure.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]2nd period - 12 to 20 years (Extraverted Feeling)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]While continuing to perceive in a predominantly intuitive way, you now become aware of a desire to give expression to your life of feeling. Sensitivity to your own feelings and compassion for others became characteristic of you, and because you were led to manifest these qualities others came to know you predominantly through them. You perhaps surprised yourself by becoming more outgoing, in contrast to your previous shyness. You became more aware of ways in which you could help others, especially the poor, the suffering, the underdog, and you may have joined groups committed to the service of others. You may have found it difficult to find time for yourself in the process of obliging others.
3rd period - 20 to 35 years (Introverted Thinking)

At twenty you experienced a tendency to become more independent, more your own person, and became critical of your previous habits of submission to the wishes of others. Because this development was taking place in an introverted way, you were not fully able to explain to others your new determination to become more autonomous; hence others may have been offended or baffled by the change in you. At the beginning of this period you probably felt you were handling the transition badly, but your conviction that it was right helped you to persevere and grow. The solution to your occasional ineptness was, you believed, in going forward toward assertiveness, not back to your earlier submissiveness.

4th period - 35 to 50 years (Extraverted Sensing)

At this point you begin to experience a call to develop your least acknowledged gift, your sensing. Now you began to notice the details of life around you, which previously, in your basic preference for exploring the possible, had not engaged your interest. As if for the first time you took pleasure in the exercise of some or all of your senses. You probably became keenly interested in such things as doing things with your hands, playing a musical instrument, taking up a craft, or collecting and classifying objects; and you engaged in this type of activity with a precision which contrasted strongly with your previous vagueness about the life of the senses. Now in fact you became somewhat impatient with inexactitude, daydreaming, and disorder in yourself and in others. Your preference now was for engaging in the newly found life of the senses in company with others, not in solitude. You liked to have someone with you as you attended concerts or visited museums; and your companions were struck with your attentiveness to the fine details of artistic creation.

Since it is opposite the dominant function, people sometimes make dramatic shifts in their personality -- what is sometimes labeled a "mid-life crisis" -- during this phase of development. They may become radically different persons from how they were in the past, although this will not necessarily be so if has been able to embrace change along the way and have individuated previously in a healthy fashion. The fourth function usually develops sometime after age 35.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
and another one http://www.personalitypage.com/development.html

From age 0 - 6 years

At this early age, we use all four of the functions in an indiscriminate fashion. We "try on" the different functions for size, determining which ones work best for us. The little INFJ has not yet emerged as any particular personality type, although his parents may notice trends in behavior which appear to have the characteristics of one or more types.

From 6 - 12 years

During this phase, our dominant function begins to develop and assert itself. Our young INFJ begins to appear dreamy and introspective - he begins to prefer to use his iNtuition to take in information, and he chooses to do this alone (Introverted). The dominant function of "Introverted iNtuition" begins to show itself as the prevailing aspect of his personality.

From 12 - 20 years

The auxiliary function asserts itself as a powerful support to the dominant function. Since all recent studies point towards the importance of a well-developed team of dominant AND auxiliary functions, this is an important time of "self-identification". Research suggests that people without a strong auxiliary function to complement their dominant function have real problems.

In our INFJ example, we see the auxiliary Feeling function come to the front during this phase as a support to the dominant iNtuitive function. Since the INFJ's dominant function is an Information Gathering function, the auxilary function must be a Decision Making one. Without a Decision Making process, we would flounder about and never get anything done! As the auxilary Feeling process comes forth, the INFJ begins to develop the ability to make decisions based on his personal value system. This auxiliary decision making process will be Extraverted, since the dominant function is Introverted. Since the decision making function is Extraverted, our subject now emerges as a "Judger", rather than a "Perceiver". Our INFJ Personality Type is now pretty firmly set in place, and we know the dominance ordering of the four functions.

From 20 - 35 years

We begin to use our tertiary function more frequently and with better success. Our INFJ begins to use his Introverted Thinking function. He continues to make judgments with his Extreverted Feeling auxiliary function, but he also begins to make judgments based on logic and reason, which he works through in his own mind, rather than discussing it with others.

From 35 - 50 years

We pay attention to our fourth, inferior function. We feel a need to develop it and use it more effectively. Our INFJ begins to use his Extraverted Sensing function. He becomes more aware of his surroundings and begins to take in information from others in a more literal, practical sense. He continues to rely on his dominant Introverted iNtuitive function to take in information, but he is more able to use his Extraverted Sensing function than he has been before in his life. Some researchers have attested that the appearance of our inferior functions at this phase of life may be responsible for what we commonly call the "mid-life crisis".

From 50 onwards

From this age until our deaths, we have accessibility to all four functions. However, we use them in a more disciplined, differentiated manner than when we were very young. Our basic Personality Type continues to assert itself, but we are able to call upon all four functions when needed.

I found this interesting and quite accurate for me.
Can you identify these phases in yourself now or in the past?

Last edited:
I've seen that, but appreciate the order of the sequence, rather than the ages. And here's how MBTI certainly does NOT develop:
k9W.jpg
:) :)

I've seen that, but appreciate the order of the sequence, rather than the ages.

Yeah I think so too. However it's pretty good as directional guideline. I guess every INFJ has gone throught nearly similar process of developing functions but as Carl Gustav Jung it phrased 'Every individual is an exception to the rule.'

I think it's pretty darn hard to grow up having Ni as dominant function. Child knows so little about the world and living inside our head in the world of imagination can make childhood a bit surreal experience. Little INFJ's most trusted function is a repertory of endless stream of possibilities which our unconsciousness constantly generates and imagination that is powerful enough to create whole universum out of nowhere. It's almost cruel to put little baby in the world with surviving-package of intuition and feeling. Having practical sensing and thinking type would have made it much easier.

Afterall I'm quite thankful of my type, actually I love it. At times it's so cozy to sink in the Ni-magination world. For me getting deep understanding of the world that Ni produces makes life enjoyable. People can rarely fool INFJ's because our intuition sqeezes out the real intentions of people very quickly, Ni is like authenticity radar. Fe is very people oriented function and I love to create fulfilling frienships. Also my playful outlook on life stems from the depths of the feeling. Life would be really boring if I would just live with hundreds of routines, piles of cold facts and dead imagination.

My Ni-phase 6->12

INFJ's usually have unconvential and rich inner life as a child. I had philosphical and existental thought's and imaginative scenarios that were running on my head all the time. I don't know if this is common for INFJ's but at some point of my childhood the line between the real and the imaginary was quite blurred.

At the age of 8 I had these imaginary mind games like 'everything is just product of my imagination'. At the age of 9-11 I read tons of thick fantasy books and spent alot of time in my head. It was the time when I got my Ni running and developed. I had fortunately close friends and loving parents during my childhood which kept me in touch with the reality.

My Fe-phase 12->18 (and glimpse of Ti)

At the age of 11-12 I got more realistic and payed more attention to what happened outside of my head. I began to understand the world as it is and had pleasure in just hanging out with my friends and doing things together. While I've got older my Fe has grown remarkably but I still have my peculiar and extraordinary imagination that entertains me when I let my mind wander. Fe shows itself in the form of having deep convictions, being social and going the extra mile to make others around me feel at ease.

I feel like my Ni has continued it's developement in the background altough Fe has currently the top priority. I've also noticed that during past two years my Ti has awakened and the urge to understand things (especially people) has grown. Studying MBTI and other personality theories I think is byproduct of my Ti warming up.

Last edited:
I'm 19 now and personally I've went through both the first and second parts and still am in the second part. i can feel it haha

The order of developing Ni>Fe>Ti>Se certainly makes sense, and I agree with it mostly. I do not however agree with the ages. People are much too varient to be held to those windows.

I am currently transition from developing Ti and more or less have solidified Fe. As such, I fit the age trend, but not everyone does.

It is also possible for people to develop Se before Ti, depending on how much Fe the person has. This also ignores the shadow functions, which people do indeed develop. I developed Si before Fe, and I worked on Te (and still am) after I got a good hold over Fe.

"[SIZE=+1]At twenty you experienced a tendency to become more independent, more your own person, and became critical of your previous habits of submission to the wishes of others. Because this development was taking place in an introverted way, you were not fully able to explain to others your new determination to become more autonomous; hence others may have been offended or baffled by the change in you. At the beginning of this period you probably felt you were handling the transition badly, but your conviction that it was right helped you to persevere and grow. The solution to your occasional ineptness was, you believed, in going forward toward assertiveness, not back to your earlier submissiveness."

That's why people don't like me anymore heh...
[/SIZE]

At twenty you experienced a tendency to become more independent, more your own person, and became critical of your previous habits of submission to the wishes of others. Because this development was taking place in an introverted way, you were not fully able to explain to others your new determination to become more autonomous; hence others may have been offended or baffled by the change in you. At the beginning of this period you probably felt you were handling the transition badly, but your conviction that it was right helped you to persevere and grow. The solution to your occasional ineptness was, you believed, in going forward toward assertiveness, not back to your earlier submissiveness.

Y to the U to the P. Exclamation mark.

I am currently transition from developing Ti and more or less have solidified Fe. As such, I fit the age trend, but not everyone does.

I've heard it's very common to develop tertiary instead of auxiliary, because it's
orientation is the same as dominant's. I've seen many extroverts struggling to develop
their introverted auxiliary since it requires them to spend time alone and work things
through their head without including other people. It's propably as hard for extroverts
to develop their auxiliary and inferior as it is for introverts.

It is also possible for people to develop Se before Ti, depending on how much Fe the person has.

Possible in some rare cases where the opposite world of dominant function is preferred. In this
occasion person is highly likely to develop as an ambivert. Having satisfying access to both
introverted and extroverted processes. I know one ENFJ with well developed Ti. He is pretty
different from the other ENFJ's I know, he is much more balanced and very intelligent.

This also ignores the shadow functions, which people do indeed develop. I developed Si before Fe, and I worked on Te (and still am) after I got a good hold over Fe.

I think shadow functions are so individually developed that it's almost impossible to
predict the pattern for it. Your theory of few INFJ's having Si and Te developed
while some of us having Ne and Fi was very clarifying. My INFJ mom have Te and Si
supporting her Ni and Fe while I have fairly well developed Ne and Fi. There's very
little similarities in our behaviour, she is so practical that she appears almost like an
ISFJ.

Could it have something to do with enneatype? More realistic types like 6,5 and 8
would be more inclined to have access on Te and Si. While more dreamy ones 4 and
9 for example could have stronger Ne and Fi supporting their inner life.

Last edited:
I think it's true, and it's pretty consistent. Even the website said we grow at different rates and some grow slower (or faster) than others through these processes. I may have worked with my Se out of sequence, but I know my Se isn't mature yet (though this is the time where, supposedly, it should be developing). Although, some things are about this phase of my life are true. Maybe I'm still in the infant stages of Se. :D

I think it's true, and it's pretty consistent. Even the website said we grow at different rates and some grow slower (or faster) than others through these processes.

Yup, I also think these wooden age boxes are too rigid +/- 5 years to each one
would make it more realistic. One can develop his Se when he's 10 and Ni when he's
60 but this indicates which function has the most priority at specific age. Althought
I've been developing mostly my Ni and Fe, my Ti and Se has been with me all the time.

Ti - As far as I can remember I've been interested in structure of things and
breaking things into pieces. It's very interesting how little pieces work together
and create the whole. (Ni + Ti)

Se - I've always been into physical activities where I can impact and create.
I like playing guitar, drawing, basketball, frisbee, trampoline, skiing, driving etc.
(Ni + Se)

As Nobleheart it said we can use our tertiary and inferior functions properly when we have
our dominant and auxiliary running in the background. So when we use our Ti it's the most
effective if we use it trough our Ni and Fe and when we use our Se it comes more naturally
if we include our intuiton and feeling to the process.

Using Ti through Ni and Fe would be something like creating or understanding complex structure
that relates to people. MBTI is the perfect example.
Using Se through Ni and Fe would be something like drawing about people or playing some
musical instrument, music is quite feeling based in it's every aspect.

Last edited:
Ti - As far as I can remember I've been interested in structure of things and breaking things into pieces. It's very interesting how little pieces work together and create the whole. (Ni + Ti)

I've just recently realized how much I relate to Ti in this sense.

I think shadow functions are so individually developed that it's almost impossible to
predict the pattern for it. Your theory of few INFJ's having Si and Te developed
while some of us having Ne and Fi was very clarifying. My INFJ mom have Te and Si
supporting her Ni and Fe while I have fairly well developed Ne and Fi. There's very
little similarities in our behaviour, she is so practical that she appears almost like an
ISFJ.

Could it have something to do with enneatype? More realistic types like 6,5 and 8
would be more inclined to have access on Te and Si. While more dreamy ones 4 and
9 for example could have stronger Ne and Fi supporting their inner life.

I agree you can't really draw a pattern with shadow functions, they can developed in any way in any order (or even not at all). I firmly believe that it is the shadow functions that create the largest differences between people within a given type. Why one person will select one shadow type over another is really unknown to me. It sort of just happens with what the person is confortable with. A driving force with it would be the level of the I and J scores.

Ennagram would have a factor with it. I am a 5w4, and would explain the liking of Si and Te. However not completely because of the 4 wing.