How to spot an INFJ

Sinji

Regular Poster
Feb 4, 2014
MBTI
INTP (Loser)
Enneagram
5w6 Sx/So/Sp
So I think someone I know is an INFJ how would I be able to figure it out?

I'm thinking of asking a few random questions to see what kind of responses I get. I don't want to be to direct because that isn't any fun. What are some options?

welcome.

just so you know, there are probably a number of threads already about this. Use the search bar. Still, fresh input never hurts.

The best and sure sign that someone is INFJ is if the person is being reflective or contemplative. But of course, you have to stick around a bit to catch someone on that.

Well, I ramble all of the time so long as the person I'm conversing with lets me. Not positive that's a INFJ trait... so maybe don't do this? Lol but I'd say ask them about something very simple, like how a tree looks.

I was in the grocery store with a friend -he was high, I was sober- and somehow I ended up sounding like the stoned one. Grocery stores fascinate me, let that just be known. So I'm in this fascinating store walking slowly expressing my fascination with many voice elevations and hand gestures about just how much stuff is in a grocery store. Like there are cartons of eggs, and every stack of cartons are labeled different but they all came out of a chicken but they all didn't come out of the same chicken and most of the chickens apparently were altered from their evolution or even their genes so much so that the eggs coming from the chickens that were allowed to live the way they were suppose to are labeled organic, and that's not the only label! There's "large" eggs and "Grade A" eggs and there's "brown" eggs, like there are brown, visually brown eggs! And they're labeled "Brown eggs" and there's white eggs but apparently the white eggs don't have to be labeled different from the brown eggs because brown is... better? But why is brown better? Cause the extra omega whatever-the-fuck eggs are white! And are brown eggs any different from white eggs or is it just the color of the shell? --So I'm in the grocery store, expressing these ideas I have in my head about eggs, sound like a stoner I'm sure, with my voice escalating as I'm exciting my point and hand movements but not just hand movements, whole arm movements -I am whisking my arms presenting these eggs that are in front of me that intrigue me so.

Yeah... that might not be an INFJ trait as a whole so much as just me... but take em outside and ask them to look at the trees with you. I'd be interested to see if I'm not the only one that gets so excited about random scenery. Lol random experiment, just do it for me, I wanna hear the outcome.

Lol. I may have mistyped myself as that's basicly the same kind of shit I always go on about. When it comes to trees I tried to explain to my brother once how I believe that trees have there own form of consciousness that is like a computer program on how they know how to breathe, drink etc. He went and told our mum that he thought I was on drugs.

I may ask the tree question though I like that. Another one I was thinking of was walking up to her and saying.
"Hey sorry I didn't mean to catch you lost in the inner realms of your mind but it looked as though the show would have been pretty good. Any chance of me hooking you up a machine which can measure the contents of your cerebral cortex. That way I can get front row tickets to the show next time?"

Would that come across as little to weird?

Lol. I may have mistyped myself as that's basicly the same kind of shit I always go on about. When it comes to trees I tried to explain to my brother once how I believe that trees have there own form of consciousness that is like a computer program on how they know how to breathe, drink etc. He went and told our mum that he thought I was on drugs.

I may ask the tree question though I like that. Another one I was thinking of was walking up to her and saying.
"Hey sorry I didn't mean to catch you lost in the inner realms of your mind but it looked as though the show would have been pretty good. Any chance of me hooking you up a machine which can measure the contents of your cerebral cortex. That way I can get front row tickets to the show next time?"

Thats still pretty ENTP, I spent days thinking about how the universe is similar to a computer and how a computer works is analogous to how the universe works.

From experience, they tend to slouch a little, or have a more passive/demure posture. They tend to be somewhat soft-spoken. They always want to relate emotionally to what others are talking about, and can be engaging in the conversation- nodding, agreeing, smiling, etc. They tend to be dressed with care and somewhat sensibly, although perhaps slightly eclectically. They might have random although interesting thoughts that they tend to bring up randomly- perhaps not related to the conversation, they can have a lot of tangents within conversations. They will listen very carefully to everything that you are saying, and if they disagree, their body language will express that almost instantly (unless they are more developed). More developed INFJs tend to be a bit more closed off, not as expressive, less likely to express ideas when first meeting a person. They can be a bit unaware of themselves- clumsy, unaware of body language.

Thats still pretty ENTP, I spent days thinking about how the universe is similar to a computer and how a computer works is analogous to how the universe works.

You guys must have been so confused pre-Lovelace.

Lovelace? Do you mean that penguin from Happy Feet?

From experience, they tend to slouch a little, or have a more passive/demure posture. They tend to be somewhat soft-spoken. They always want to relate emotionally to what others are talking about, and can be engaging in the conversation- nodding, agreeing, smiling, etc. They tend to be dressed with care and somewhat sensibly, although perhaps slightly eclectically. They might have random although interesting thoughts that they tend to bring up randomly- perhaps not related to the conversation, they can have a lot of tangents within conversations. They will listen very carefully to everything that you are saying, and if they disagree, their body language will express that almost instantly (unless they are more developed). More developed INFJs tend to be a bit more closed off, not as expressive, less likely to express ideas when first meeting a person. They can be a bit unaware of themselves- clumsy, unaware of body language.

I don't know if I agree with this. I don't think this has anything to do with INFJ, but more with confidence, and especially in the workplace, professionalism.

Lol depends, is she smart enough to get the context? Or at least laugh at it if she wasn't? Lol it's a bit busy for me, but you'd definitely catch her attention!

I don't know if I agree with this. I don't think this has anything to do with INFJ, but more with confidence, and especially in the workplace, professionalism.

Yeah, I don't agree with that either. I stand tall but walk slow as I am taking in everything. Lol and I don't care how I dress at all. T-shirt and Jeans make all the sense in the world, though lately my Jeans have been tighter on my ass -makes me feel like I'm walking funny. I don't understand not baggy clothing. That's a ramble for another time... And I'm extremely loose with people when I first meet them. *shrugs* not all INFJ traits I suppose, however I'm not any of that either.

It's in our eyes ...

3goatssmall.jpg

a rare photo of an INFJ captured in it's natural habitat...

The one with the club or the one wearing the collar. I don't imagine any of the guys with wings would be an INFJ as they are traveling in packs.

Club of course! Under the bridge :D

If they are male, they will probably have a beard and be reading a book you've never heard of.
They like to use emoticons a lot.
They don't wear up to date fashion, but look cool anyway.

I think they would be hard to spot because they can blend in so well. If an INFJ is comfortable enough around you they may open up, but might not reveal their abstract thoughts to you as their intuition is introverted.