How To Improve Extroverted Sensing | INFJ Forum

How To Improve Extroverted Sensing

sassafras

Jun 17, 2009
MBTI
What is Extroverted Sensing? Restraint posted a good guideline:

Good topic T. I think developing more observational skills. Become cognizant of the environment we're in. Ask questions about the physical environment, and the possible reasons or motivations for the details present in the environment.

Here is a description of Extroverted Sensing from the Cognitive Processes website: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedsensing.html

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.

We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result.

We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.

An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention.

Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment.

A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us.

The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

The areas in bold are good guidelines i believe for developing Se.

Let's discuss. Let's brainstorm some habits or activities that you can implement into your daily live that can help you improve your sensing functions!

Last edited:
Considering how absolutely crappy my Se is, I have nearly nothing that makes it work (I actually avoid using it almost all the time). The one thing though that I do have at my disposal to help improve it is skiing. The very nature of it forces you to use Se to a pretty heavy degree.

What are some habits or activities that you can implement into your daily live that can help you improve your sensing functions? Discuss.

I'm mostly a kinesthetic learner so I guess you can say I already sense in a extroverted manner you can say. But I like to look at thing in general and remember how they were. I'll look at a tree and how it curves what unique features it has, I do this with everything power lines is one I like looking at as well. I want know how each place smells like, what type of color bricks are used within a community of houses. I want to know how the texture of pond water is compared to sea water, so I remember these details and make a note of it within my mind.

I want to get to know the non-living as well as living and a lot of that is through extroverted sensing. So I guess what this is all leading to is a curiosity for the non living as well as living and it's physical details.

There is just too many interesting things about the world to be held back by a bias in sensing or intuition or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:
hmm... I try to notice things around me. Especially the facial expressions of the people around me. plus, one month of Krav Maga almost every night did me wonders ;)

hmm... I try to notice things around me. Especially the facial expressions of the people around me. plus, one month of Krav Maga almost every night did me wonders ;)

Ohh very nice, you were basically forced to pinpoint facial expressions in a fraction of a second and send electric charges to fire muscle actions. That is indeed extroverted sensing at extremes.

Ohh very nice, you were basically forced to pinpoint facial expressions in a fraction of a second and send electric charges to fire muscle actions. That is indeed extroverted sensing at extremes.

I'm assuming your talking about krav? hahah yeah man first time I went there had my ass handed to me on a silver platter but at the end was a lot better :m031:

I'm assuming your talking about krav? hahah yeah man first time I went there had my ass handed to me on a silver platter but at the end was a lot better :m031:

I bet, I think of my body as separate from my mind and soul. It's like a friend and like a friend good communication is also key; extroverted sensing helps in this.

draw and paint, it helps a lot :)

I bet, I think of my body as separate from my mind and soul. It's like a friend and like a friend good communication is also key; extroverted sensing helps in this.

I agree fully

See the thing is, I'm already pretty in-tune with my body. Not perhaps, at my peak, but definitely present in my skin. But that's just running and muscle conditioning. Maybe a martial art or a dance would assist more?

It's just me being in-tune with my surroundings that I really suck at. I need to take the focus off myself and take in my environment. I live in my head or worry about other people and their feelings/what they think too much; I gotta just be. Enjoy the moment.

Hmm, so you say just being more conscious of environmental details can give my Se a workout? Making a point to notice textures, sounds, colours, etc. Sports that train eye-hand coordination?

Anything else?

Can people explain what activities would exercise this? I think examples would help me understand.:eek:mnom:

Would appreciating music enhance your Se?

See the thing is, I'm already pretty in-tune with my body. Not perhaps, at my peak, but definitely present in my skin. But that's just running and muscle conditioning. Maybe a martial art or a dance would assist more?

It's just me being in-tune with my surroundings that I really suck at. I need to take the focus off myself and take in my environment. I live in my head or worry about other people and their feelings/what they think too much; I gotta just be. Enjoy the moment.

Hmm, so you say just being more conscious of environmental details can give my Se a workout? Making a point to notice textures, sounds, colours, etc. Sports that train eye-hand coordination?

Anything else?

Be alone with a part of nature you enjoy. Imagine channeling your intuition into what you're sensing, the wind, the smells, the feel of the grass. Let it come full circle as you witness the beauty around you.

Something I have done in the past, not sure if it has anything to do with Se, but it was hella relaxing.

Candles, hot bath, music = Win

Can people explain what activities would exercise this? I think examples would help me understand.:eek:mnom:

I would like to know this too. As much detail as possible, please.

Good topic T. I think developing more observational skills. Become cognizant of the environment we're in. Ask questions about the physical environment, and the possible reasons or motivations for the details present in the environment.

Here is a description of Extroverted Sensing from the Cognitive Processes website: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedsensing.html

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.

We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.

An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention.

Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment.

A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us.

The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

I am still confused :m097:

Confused Se with Si. My bad.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting these, Restraint. I'll edit this into the OP, if you don't mind.

Now, I have no doubt that putting in a conscious effort to implement these highlighted ideas into our daily life would help, I was hoping we could brainstorm some activities actively promote and build these skills unconsciously.

For example, would activities that require good eye-hand coordination help? What sports do you think would be the best?

What about taking an art class? Or a dance or music class? Do you think those would help train Se?

Anything else anyone can think of? I realize I'm very much focused on the physical. Is there other ways to build Se? Perhaps a new way you can look at an every day activity?

Anyone got any ideas?

I need to develop my Se badly as well.

I am REALLY bad at understanding external details, such as body language etc.

Someone once said that I am more of the "stop and smell the roses" type of guy. I thought to myself, "that isn't me at all!" I am constantly lost in my own head. I often find that I need to slow down and enjoy more things in life, yet I also find that I don't like to do it.

I am so good at contradicting myself...