How much is entertainment worth? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum
Imho life as a biological process has no purpose. Now, the life you live, that's different. That could imply a (self)imposed goal.
Doesn't change that it's *not worth living if it's just to live. Not when you can't be alive.

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly where this thread is going, but entertainment is an important and valuable service, and those who excel at it deserve to be compensated for that value. Give your money to artists, musicians, and other folks who make your world beautiful and make you smile. And ask for what you are worth if you are the entertainer, even if you don't actually get it. Set the standard in conversation and expectation. Humans need entertainment. To me, it's worth as much as anything I consider essential in my life.
I feel that as well. Imagine a life without entertainment. All you do is eat, sleep, and work -- and that work isn't a job that entertains you, it's not a job you enjoy. I'd say people would off themselves sooner rather than later if that was the case. Entertainment is vital to our health, thus vital to our survival. And those whose passion it is to entertain us deserve that recongnition -- that they're contributing to our overall wellbeing and health.

Reactions: G4RiiM and Ginny
Imho life as a biological process has no purpose. Now, the life you live, that's different. That could imply a (self)imposed goal.
I feel like we don't live long enough to understand if our biological process has a purpose or not -- neither as individuals or as a collective. It could serve some grand purpose or it could serve nothing. It could also just serve to keep the ball rolling for everyone and everything we interact with. I, myself, feel that our innate need for a purpose does mean something.

Doesn't change that it's lot worth living if it's just to live. Not when you can't be alive.
Agreed. If we have no purpose to live, then why do we exist? We must have some vital purpose to be considered by existence itself, a necessary existence. Of course we'd continue that thought by "What is existence and what are its intentions, if it has any?" And we'd innately think, "What is God?" I feel our feeling of having a God isn't based on white smoke. It's definitely there, and for a reason. I don't know what the answer is, but I know that God and Satan are real, and I know many other beings came to our aid and helped us grow as a species (The gods). In Carl Jung's words, "I just feel it" in terms of knowing God exists. But we all feel it, some of us just feel it stronger or weaker. We feel our purpose is connection, in some way, to this God. But I don't believe God is set to religion, as religions came from God's existence as a way to help us give thanks and find our purpose. It's so much and I could elaborate forever, but this is just what I'm thinkning about right now.

Agreed. If we have no purpose to live, then why do we exist? We must have some vital purpose to be considered by existence itself, a necessary existence. Of course we'd continue that thought by "What is existence and what are its intentions, if it has any?" And we'd innately think, "What is God?" I feel our feeling of having a God isn't based on white smoke. It's definitely there, and for a reason. I don't know what the answer is, but I know that God and Satan are real, and I know many other beings came to our aid and helped us grow as a species (The gods). In Carl Jung's words, "I just feel it" in terms of knowing God exists. But we all feel it, some of us just feel it stronger or weaker. We feel our purpose is connection, in some way, to this God. But I don't believe God is set to religion, as religions came from God's existence as a way to help us give thanks and find our purpose. It's so much and I could elaborate forever, but this is just what I'm thinkning about right now.
I think I know what that feeling is. It's a force, for sure, but I wouldn't conflate it to either one or more almighty or supernatural beings. Those are just the stories we used to tell to make it tangible. It would raise unanswerable questions to claim differently. Because there are plenty of theories, but no idea on a definite answer.

If we have no purpose to live, then why do we exist? We must have some vital purpose to be considered by existence itself, a necessary existence.
Perhaps our brain is too underdeveloped to grasp the concept and all it could come up with was the concept of having a hunch there's such a thing as a supernatural being.

Depends on the entertainment. Some entertainment is worthless. Other "entertainment" is degraded by being called entertainment. If it's "entertainment" that contains a lot of understanding or wisdom, or if it's deeply beautiful or spiritually nourishing, it's more than "entertainment." The "entertainment" that's more than mere entertainment is worth a lot to me. The entertainment that is exactly that isn't worth very much to me.

I think I know what that feeling is. It's a force, for sure, but I wouldn't conflate it to either one or more almighty or supernatural beings. Those are just the stories we used to tell to make it tangible. It would raise unanswerable questions to claim differently. Because there are plenty of theories, but no idea on a definite answer.
Yeah, we like to put faces to things to help identify and empathise with them.
Perhaps our brain is too underdeveloped to grasp the concept and all it could come up with was the concept of having a hunch there's such a thing as a supernatural being.
Agreed, we just don't know and aren't able to grasp what is truly going on right now. I believe it's also due to how our minds work. We work based off comparing things to the already known, and if we can't do that, then we deem it myth and magic. But if we find another way to accept things, other than comparing them to the mundane, then we could better grasp such concepts. And this is all stuff we can change if thought so. It's not something out biology locks us into.

Yeah, we like to put faces to things to help identify and empathise with them.

Agreed, we just don't know and aren't able to grasp what is truly going on right now. I believe it's also due to how our minds work. We work based off comparing things to the already known, and if we can't do that, then we deem it myth and magic. But if we find another way to accept things, other than comparing them to the mundane, then we could better grasp such concepts. And this is all stuff we can change if thought so. It's not something out biology locks us into.
Look, if God would appear right in front of you in all His splendor and majesty, there's no guarantee your brain and senses could even cope. Perhaps you would instantly perish, like happened to Semele when Zeus did so.

And what sort of pesky God would create everything, and then leave mankind with all this derpiness and feeblemindness? Even if it's true we were given free will (granted by some deity), how truly free and independent would we be if we aren't able to fully grasp existence and creation itself?

In that case I prefer to believe to be constrained into some crappy systems biology by nature, because this presumed creator would be a total dick.

Reactions: Ginny
Look, if God would appear right in front of you in all His splendor and majesty, there's no guarantee your brain and senses could even cope. Perhaps you would instantly perish, like happened to Semele when Zeus did so.

And what sort of pesky God would create everything, and then leave mankind with all this derpiness and feeblemindness? Even if it's true we were given free will (granted by some deity), how truly free and independent would we be if we aren't able to fully grasp existence and creation itself?

We're developing. I doubt we've reached our intellectual peak. Maybe we'll be able to comprehend God and the universe better when our brains improve. Maybe this development is crucial in some way that's beyond our current awareness.

We're developing. I doubt we've reached our intellectual peak. Maybe we'll be able to comprehend God and the universe better when our brains improve. Maybe this development is crucial in some way that's beyond our current awareness.
We're evolving. Evolution does not strife towards some zenith, it's merely the hypothesised selection of beneficial traits at a given moment, at a population level, not in an individual.

Entertainment gives you a nice feeling, and perhaps facilitates oneself to keep in homeostasis with the environment. That's its worth.

Reactions: Ginny
We're evolving. Evolution does not strife towards some zenith, it's merely the hypothesised selection of beneficial traits at a given moment, at a population level, not in an individual.
Your reply assumes too much. There are laws beyond our current comprehension, I'm sure, and there's still so much to be learned. The judgment seems a bit premature. And even if our existences were meant to be amusement for some incomprehensibly grand and complex being, that's a lot better than nothing, isn't it?

Reactions: G4RiiM
There are laws beyond our current comprehension, I'm sure, and there's still so much to be learned.
That's a fallacy. If there's a tomorrow, there will be new knowledge to gather, to comprehend. But that doesn't prove anything about current understandings. There are lots of arguments to prove we know very little to naught.

And even if our existences were meant to be amusement for some incomprehensibly grand and complex being, that's a lot better than nothing, isn't it?
I'm not denying the existance of a deity or some life force, I'm just pointing out that imho these arguments are not sufficient ground to prove your thesis.
Me "not knowing stuff" doesn't prove the existence of God, it just points out that I'm trapped by the constraints of current understandings.
One could state the moon might be made out of smelly French cheese and Ren lives on it, because I don't have a full comprehension of the moon and it's existence, but that would be a very silly thing to say indeed.

Belief on the other hand doesn't necessarily have much to do with knowledge. We may believe whatever we want, without any constraints or trappings.

Your reply assumes too much. There are laws beyond our current comprehension, I'm sure, and there's still so much to be learned. The judgment seems a bit premature. And even if our existences were meant to be amusement for some incomprehensibly grand and complex being, that's a lot better than nothing, isn't it?
Oh and welcome to the forum. Have a great time.

That's a fallacy. If there's a tomorrow, there will be new knowledge to gather, to comprehend. But that doesn't prove anything about current understandings. There are lots of arguments to prove we know very little to naught.

It's a fallacy to assume there's knowledge beyond what we know? Sounds ridiculous. Philosophizing within the confines of our current scientific knowledge is a fallacy. We know we don't know almost everything, so any conclusions we come to will be wrong. It's all fallacious. Everything's fallacious. I think it's best to accept our limitations and be as we are. Just wonder, never act like you know these big things. It's impossible to. There's truth, beauty, and innocence in that acceptance. Reminds me of Spinoza.

Reactions: G4RiiM
Feel like you're going to hate me in a week but that's life.
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I like you, and this is why

. It's all fallacious. Everything's fallacious. I think it's best to accept our limitations and be as we are. Just wonder, never act like you know these big things. It's impossible to. There's truth, beauty, and innocence in that acceptance. Reminds me of Spinoza.