How much is entertainment worth? | INFJ Forum

Truth Eternity

Community Member
Dec 30, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
We all love to be entertained. It is vital for our emotional and mental wellbeing, thus also our physical wellbeing. So many people dedicate their lives and career to entertaining others: Actors, Musicians, Comedians, Performers, Dancers, Athletes, Game Developers, Animators, Writers, and the list goes on.

Some may ask the questions, "How much does the entertainer feel their entertainment is worth?" "How much is someone's passion and effort worth?" "How much are we, as people, willing to pay for entertainment?" "How much value does entertainment have and what is the monetary equivalent to that value, and is that monetary equivalent realistic and reasonable?"

We can approach this question from so many angles, but what do we feel, as indiviuals and as a collective, to be the worth of entertainment: monetary, trade, time and appreciaton, enjoyment, laughter, and so on. What is entertainment worth to you? What do you feel like it is worth to society? What is entertainment worth?

Let's discuss!

It is pretty difficult for "average" people to make a decent living as an entertainer
I couldn't agree more. And just from the top of my head, I feel like that may be at least partly because for many different types of entertainment, we attribute the personality to the act instead of appreciating the act itself. Celebrity culture is a HUGE cancer to entertainment for this very reason. So much so that you have people with no passion and no talent rising to the top because they have a pretty face or have a ton of cash. This leaves talent left in the dust, unused, and is why the movie and music industry is failing.

I couldn't agree more. And just from the top of my head, I feel like that may be at least partly because for many different types of entertainment, we attribute the personality to the act instead of appreciating the act itself. Celebrity culture is a HUGE cancer to entertainment for this very reason. So much so that you have people with no passion and no talent rising to the top because they have a pretty face or have a ton of cash. This leaves talent left in the dust, unused, and is why the movie and music industry is failing.

Yup

Celebrity culture is a HUGE cancer to entertainment for this very reason. So much so that you have people with no passion and no talent rising to the top because they have a pretty face or have a ton of cash.
Can you consider this entertainment anyway? Imo, that is just a waste of time. Of course, there are fans who would like to see what their idols are really like, in a personal setting, but at the end of the day, nothing is true.

True entertainment can be a life saver. Art that imitates life, but knows its place. But once life imitates art... We are living in an unreal world, where people are not real because of that very thing.

Can you consider this entertainment anyway? Imo, that is just a waste of time. Of course, there are fans who would like to see what their idols are really like, in a personal setting, but at the end of the day, nothing is true.

True entertainment can be a life saver. Art that imitates life, but knows its place. But once life imitates art... We are living in an unreal world, where people are not real because of that very thing.
Would you believe that if all life imitated art, we'd be in a false dream, yet better than the rotting world we live in now? Would living a lie be worth more than living the truth, if that lie is a lie of a paradise and that truth is dystopian?

Would you believe that if all life imitated art, we'd be in a false dream, yet better than the rotting world we live in now? Would living a lie be worth more than living the truth, if that lie is a lie of a paradise and that truth is dystopian?
I'm an idealist, so no. It's never better to live a lie. Only by living ones own truth do you transcend the boundaries of the technicolour life we lead and recognise your being as part of the universe.

I'm an idealist, so no. It's never better to live a lie. Only by living ones own truth do you transcend the boundaries of the technicolour life we lead and recognise your being as part of the universe.
So you believe in making your own life the ideal? Making your dreams come true no matter what tragedies try to stop you?

So you believe in making your own life the ideal? Making your dreams come true no matter what tragedies try to stop you?
My ideal needn't be the same as someone else's. But no, that's not what it means to be an idealist.

"How much value does entertainment have and what is the monetary equivalent to that value, and is that monetary equivalent realistic and reasonable?"
Tuppence ha'penny a pint. I'd say that's quite reasonable squire, but don't take my word for it and ask @Reason.

My ideal needn't be the same as someone else's. But no, that's not what it means to be an idealist.
I was asking if you are one to persevere through tough times to make your dreams come true. By the way you speak, it sounds like you are. Kind of like Sharkboy and Lava Girl, where you dream your dream and work to make it real.

I was asking if you are one to persevere through tough times to make your dreams come true. By the way you speak, it sounds like you are. Kind of like Sharkboy and Lava Girl, where you dream your dream and work to make it real.
I don't know who they are. But I probably am. I just don't have a dream, really.

I'm not sure exactly where this thread is going, but entertainment is an important and valuable service, and those who excel at it deserve to be compensated for that value. Give your money to artists, musicians, and other folks who make your world beautiful and make you smile. And ask for what you are worth if you are the entertainer, even if you don't actually get it. Set the standard in conversation and expectation. Humans need entertainment. To me, it's worth as much as anything I consider essential in my life.