How Much Have You Changed? | INFJ Forum

How Much Have You Changed?

sassafras

Jun 17, 2009
MBTI
"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are."
- Bertlot Brecht.

Have you made any changes in your life recently? Has your approach to life shifted in any way? How different are you from the person you were six months ago? A year ago?

If not much has changed, why do you think that is? Do you think people should strive for change, or simply take life as it goes?

Reactions: TheLastMohican
I went from highly introverted annoying pessimistic lying depressed socially awkward insecure hardcorehedonist (last year) to somewhat awkward annoying hedonist (now).

:suspicious:

Have you made any changes in your life recently? Has your approach to life shifted in any way? How different are you from the person you were six months ago? A year ago?
- yes. I am more open.

If not much has changed, why do you think that is? Do you think people should strive for change, or simply take life as it goes?
- Probably depends on the change. Sometimes, change is something which has to be motivated and intentional. But in some cases, it comes naturally without much effort. Sometimes, it's best to take life as it goes.

Yes. I can't explaint well, but in last year I changed. Complex story. And yet I have feeling that the greatest change is still in front of me. Something is coming:)

I've gone through a lot of changes in my life adapting to the different environments:

When I was young I was so easy going, relaxed, everything that I said was deliberate, such a kind caring kid, extremely energetic though and pretty fearless though I was bullied a little so I learned to be a little wary and eventually became the most liked kid in the school.

Secondary school changed that, I was bullied quite a bit, lost my energetic nature, I was still kind and gentle but I was definitely far more selective about who I hung about with had no aggressive streak in me but I'm seriously glad that I did martial arts for a long time previously because it stopped me from being a big target, I became quite witty which helped socially quite a lot which in turn decreased the bulling but I learned to become a little invisible, I started hanging around with kids that were drug dealers because they were far more interesting to talk to and far more genuine as friends.

College was just plain boring, I didn't find anything interesting and it was just a constant grind, because of the classes I took I made new friends and they unfortunately kinda clashed with my older ones and I found myself having to defend against people that kinda tested me which....well I admit I did kind of enjoy it on some level but it also sucked sometimes. I played cards a hell of a lot (not really poker or games like that though) and my academics started to really slip because I was just so bored and they didn't hold my interest, instead I would help others in the class if they were struggling and make jokes quite a lot.

Uni...was strange, first year went really well though I found that I was quite....young, a lot of the people there grew up in cities because of where the university was and I grew up in very rural areas so there was quite a lot of differences to adapt to, a couple of people were very distrustful which I found puzzling and sought to try and remedy...which I did...it's just I found myself becoming drained around certain types of people, some were quick to anger others were essentially children though I really did get on with a few, I found that I seemed to attract troubled people some of their patterns were erratic others never seemed to be able to reach happy...it was if they would gradually climb up the ladder towards it but missed a rung and slipped down. I started looking into psychology and it helped give gain a bit of understanding and develop a "self" something that I really lacked, I'd always adapted to the environment, I thought being highly adaptable was the best thing to be to cause the least conflict....which it was, but it was also terribly unhealthy for myself, something of which I never even thought about or even knew I should care about.

Moved to America for a couple of years....that was somewhat hellish, but I also made what I would call a true friend, someone who I didn't have to adapt to and she helped me....find form....*cringes* in lack of a better word anyway.

Arrived back in England aaaaand continued my education, unfortunately I ended up living with complete nut jobs (and no that isn't the technical term...but it is incredibly accurate), again I felt completely out of energy most of the time and took up walking very long distances or pretty doing anything to avoid them however I still had to put up with a hell of a lot of shit and was the only one there who didn't resort to violence, found myself having to talk down people trying to commit suicide, trying to stop my housemates attacking each other with knives, I'd someone wound up essentially starting some sort of free counselling service where my nut job housemates invited their friends over to talk to me about their problems! I quite honestly started to struggle near the end of the year I found that I just couldn't be drained anymore and started to plan and organise my time by setting end goals and planning out my days which reduced the stress a lot and helped me prioritise and look past the social conflict.

Now I'm....a bit more impatient, more grounded...I've still retained my kindness and I always try to help people through problems or try to mediate but I've got a better grasp on my own value now, I'm far more realistic and I'm trying to get on and build a life for myself.

Overall I would say I've changed quite a lot although I've still retained some core qualities which I don't think will ever go. Change is inevitable, if you keep doing what you're doing day in day out the things you do become easier and less stimulating and you're become tired and bored a lot more. Set idealistic long term goals and try to achieve them, sure you probably won't but you will always gain something from it which will make you a better and happier person, the knock backs and failures are all parts of our achievements and it helps us recognise how much they mean to us and it helps us to look for the next thing we want.

We will always change and grow as people that's something that we can never stop, but what's exciting, what's truly great is that we can choose to craft and mould ourselves into the people we want to be if only we're prepared to take the time and the knocks and scrapes to do it. It's what makes life challenging, it's what makes life difficult but it's also what makes life beautiful....and I don't think I'd have it any other way. :)

Still a little crabapple
More outspoken
More stubborn
More critical
Less patient
More motivated
More solitary

Last edited:
More spiritual
Less Religious
More Critical
Less uptight
More Open
More centered

On the physical side, I am 10 lbs heavier, but 2 sizes smaller.

Transitions and changes in life never cease to amaze me....so much that is unexpected and unforeseen emerges, far beyond what I could plan or calculate.

I have seen such a transition in recent weeks due to the confluence of three unrelated events. One I knew was coming, the other two were surprises. As interesting as this little life transition has been, as it was happening I could catch little glimpes of events over the past year that folded into this new arrangement, things that made no immediate impact at the time, but as this transition emerged, allowed me to simply say "yes" as I could see all the tumplers click into place of their own accord.

So, what exactly was this mysterious change, you may ask? Well, it's difficult (but not impossible) to explain fully. Suffice it to say that my daily routine switched up significantly, allowing me to rearrange how I spent a big chunk of my leisure time. At the same moment, I was given a deeper direction in which to proceed in my spiritual journey...a sort of path was laid out, it simply unfolded before me.

Needless to say, I followed this path.....even dummy like me could hardly miss it!!! :) It is the right thing for now, for this moment, and it continues to unfold bit by bit as specific opportunities come up on the calendar. I have an idea where to place my footsteps. The actual outcomes? We'll see!!!

I've learned a couple important lessons, but I've also not learned many more important lessons. I'm pretty much the same person aside from that.

How far back are we going?

If I go only a few years back, then who I am now is nearly the same as who I was. Maybe some of my skills have changed a bit, but my views and values are nearly the same. The only thing that has changed has been my political views. I started reading Ken Wilber and Integral Theory, so now I'm trying to put those into practice and not fall into either extreme, politically speaking.

Ten years ago... I'm almost a completely different person than who I was. In fact, I have only a few select friends I've kept in touch with over the years and if I were to meet the face to face now, I don't know if we would still be friends since I've changed so much.

My secondary hobbies that were put on the back burner a long time ago have pretty much taken over my life. I don't work in the same field, don't have the same goals, don't have many of the same interests, etc.

I think one of the most profound changes that I've gone through in the last six months was no longer comparing myself to others. I've realized that a lot of people live in a dream world and talk a lot of bullshit to raise themselves up in each others' eyes and try desperately to make their grass look a lot greener than it really is. But in truth, their reality is no wildly different or more special than your own. Everyone struggles with the same fears, same set-backs. How they deal with it is an odd mix of pretending everything is okay or or digging in their heels and doing what they can with what they have... and the people who are more honest with themselves are the ones that really make the largest strides.

As a result of this paradigm shift, I'm no longer afraid of the mundane. I accept it as part of life. Sometimes all life really is the sum of the boring, every day tasks that must be accomplished to sustain comfortable living, now and in the future. Sometimes life is about other people and what you can do to help them. Sometimes it's all about you and what other people can do for you. It doesn't come at you at once. It all comes a day at a time. And that's the only way it really can be done.

Reactions: Gaze
The last vestiges of my teenage rebellion and angst have disappeared.

Compared to two years ago, I have come in terms with the fact that I'm materialistic, superficial and occasionally very selfish. I am mean and arrogant when I feel sour. I tend to cut off people from my life whenever I feel like doing so, regardless of their affection towards me and feel nothing in return.

I was always this way; I am no longer in denial about it.

I have been changing a lot lately. I have become less trusting, and more independent. I moved out of my parents house, and got dumped a year ago. It wasn't a bad break up, we are still friends and we hang out almost every day, but it definitely had an immense impact on me. I'm still recovering, but still hurt and my emotions are extremely conflicted. Just figuring out which side of the conflict I am on has been the most difficult challenge.

Life has changed for me, but in general, people should only seek to change things when they see they need to be changed. If you are happy the way you are and aren't hurting anyone, carry on. Whatever floats your boat.

It doesn't come at you at once. It all comes a day at a time. And that's the only way it really can be done.
I agree. For me it was about engaging a particular life-path and that path brought about changes slowly, day by day. I can only say this with a good bit of hindsight. Even now, after many years, it is still very mich a day-to-day adventure.

Also want to add: I change very little in terms of outward behavior, but my perception of myself and the world changes constantly.

One point that sticks out within the last years was two years ago: I was stronger then, focused, diligent, very ambitious. Now I am not so strong anymore, not so focused, but still diligent and ambitious.

I don't know why it changed, but I think I've strayed a bit off the course.

I think one of the most profound changes that I've gone through in the last six months was no longer comparing myself to others. I've realized that a lot of people live in a dream world and talk a lot of bullshit to raise themselves up in each others' eyes and try desperately to make their grass look a lot greener than it really is. But in truth, their reality is no wildly different or more special than your own. Everyone struggles with the same fears, same set-backs. How they deal with it is an odd mix of pretending everything is okay or or digging in their heels and doing what they can with what they have... and the people who are more honest with themselves are the ones that really make the largest strides.

I agree with this.

When you truly stop comparing yourself to others or some vaguely defined archetype of human nature, there is a psychological liberation that happens on deeply systemic level. It's not just confidence that improves, but an entire re-structuring of your identity and self-concept. The "manager" part of your brain that tries to censor or embellish what comes out of your mouth in an effort to control people's perception of you (which is actually nothing more than a way to obtain unmet emotional needs) recedes into the background.

In place of it, an authenticity arises and you start speaking from the core. You just say what you want, what you think, what you believe. If people like it, fine. If not, fine. You simply don't care and it's not because of indifference, it's because you believe in yourself and feel the value of your own person which eliminates the need for validation from others.

Reactions: Broken705
I am more accepting of myself and I am more accepting of others flaws.

Reactions: jyrffw54