How does Si affect you? | INFJ Forum

How does Si affect you?

C

Confused Mind

I always get in a really depressed mood when I think about the past and I hate to watch movies more than once. Also, I get really anxious when I see someone from my past. Is it a common for an INFJ to act like this?

I feel that way also, I don't know if that's Si however.

Getting depressed when thinking about the past? It could be an INFJ trait because we are more prone to beat ourselves up over past mistakes than any other type. I definitely get into that state.
And yes, I hate re-watching movies too!

I feel that way also, I don't know if that's Si however.
Ok me neither, I was just making an assumption because my parents are auxiliary Si (ESFJ) and tertiary Si (INFP) and they seem to embrace the past much better than me. One loves to tell the same stories over and over again from like the past. and the other loves to scrapbook. I, on the other hand, hate to deal with anything from the past. So I'm probably wrong. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting depressed when thinking about the past? It could be an INFJ trait because we are more prone to beat ourselves up over past mistakes than any other type. I definitely get into that state.
And yes, I hate re-watching movies too!

Sumone!?! Is this OUR sumone?

Oh wow, I can't relate at all, I can feel nostalgic when looking at old pictures and stuff but it doesn't make me sad, I tend to remember all the good memories and more often than not smile and feel good. I don’t actually think about the past much without visual stimulation either.

Maybe it is unique to INFJs...

I think of the past a lot, but it's almost always positive. Somehow I seem to embellish my memories. When I feel lonely or lost, I think of the good times in the past and how to get to live moments like those again. Gives me energy to keep going, new goals I suppose. When it's things I cannot live again in any way, well, it makes me feel very melancholic but I somehow like it.

I think I'm not very INFJ-ish on this though. A bit guardian-ish :der: traitor!! ah!

I would like to preface by saying; I almost never ever use Si function, or Se... I dont like S... blegh...

It is hard to describe how the past makes me feel, it kind of does make me sad when I do think about it, not overwhelmingly sad, but upset. I think it is more of a "longing". It is a unique feeling I reserve for just that situation.

I guess when I think about the past it's either neutral, or it's negative. I get a lot of "would've-could've-should'ves" going on and I end up getting frustrated about things I should've done earlier or some such. Every once in a while I'll dredge up a positive memory, and I feel guilty that I don't think enough about the positive things in the past. In fact, I discovered (through therapy, go figure) that sometimes I need to revisit the past, in order to heal something broken. If I don't "fix" it now, I won't be able to go forward.

But as far as movies are concerned, I have a collection of favorites. Movies and good tv shows are ways I de-stress - and I'll often revist old shows or movies if I need to feel good about something. Or I'll turn on the TV (i.e., internet) to find something worth my time so I can feel "better."

I get a sort of hopeless nostalgia...I enjoy the past and like thinking about it, but I know that things change and you can't really go back to visit those good times, sometimes...It's kind of more the knowledge of losing something than the fact that it's in the past.

But SH is right; it wouldn't be Si with us, since it's not one of our 4 main functions--we have Se. I don't think it has a lot to do with that, though.