How Do You Think?

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
Simple question really: How exactly do you think? Do you think in words? In pictures? In feeling tones? In physical sensations?

I, myself, I tend to think in words first and foremost. Then physical sensations (Hard to explain, but I can feel the warmth of a person's body for example, no matter if it's a figment of my imagination.) Then I experience feelings and visual images.

I'm actually quite shocked by my lack of ability to visualize various things. I can recall things very well but I have a hard time imagining things in my head and everything I 'invent' in my imagination tends to be a representation and conglomeration of something I have already seen in the past. When it comes to reading books, I don't even visualize most of the content I read. I actually have to force myself to visualize what is currently happening.

Other details: Right brained. Auditory learner.

Simple question really: How exactly do you think? Do you think in words? In pictures? In feeling tones? In physical sensations?

I, myself, I tend to think in words first and foremost. Then physical sensations (Hard to explain, but I can feel the warmth of a person's body for example, no matter if it's a figment of my imagination.) Then I experience feelings and visual images.

I'm actually quite shocked by my lack of ability to visualize various things. I can recall things very well but I have a hard time imagining things in my head and everything I 'invent' in my imagination tends to be a representation and conglomeration of something I have already seen in the past. When it comes to reading books, I don't even visualize most of the content I read. I actually have to force myself to visualize what is currently happening.

Other details: Right brained. Auditory learner.
I was going to answer this question, and then realized you did for me. Minus the physical sensations, you said what I was going to say.

Oh, this dreaded question. I will do my best.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a very slow thinker. It takes me a while to process information and come up with a way to verbalize it. I might intrinsically understand something in my head, but won't be able to explain it. Going from those two things takes the longest.

I am very much an auditory learner, supplemented by visual. However, there is something very interesting with me being an auditory learner; I am terrible with language. As an example (and this came up recently off the forums), I can't understand anything outside of plain english. What I mean is, writing written in modern english (shakespere style if you will) is near impossible for me to get. I have to read it, reread it, then reread it again and again before I can start to get it. It's very hard for me to understand unless language is explicit and clear. So as an auditory learner, I am actually based in sounds, not words.

I remember what people say to me very easily. Lecture is needed in school otherwise I struggle. When I remember what people say though, it is in their voice, and how they say it, not what they say. If their voice is distinct enough (and often it is), I will remember how they say something, the tone, speed, etc. From that I basicly hear a rythym with it, a tone, a style, and I can then retain the words they say, because they are actully said a certain way. What proves this to me, is I can hear or repeat what someone has said to me clearly, but not actually understand the words they have said. It was just a tone, I remember the tone, but not the words. This form of remembering and thinking is both very useful and very diffucult at the same time for me. Sounds can make me remember almost anything, and I am often surprised at the deeply forgotton memories I have had that I did not think about for year, which were reemerged by sounds.

I supplement the auditory with visual. I create images and figures in my head as I am explained to, but this is back processed. I am not really aware that I do this, it becomes apparent after I have walked away (more on this later). The visual is supplemented because the sounds and notes link to the images I see (it might be a graph I was shown or something, or created on my own), and each sound word and note will cause me to link to the image. So really it just is another way information is stored.

This also brings me to another point. I am a very rigid thinker. I can not think about more then one thing at a time. I must start a thought, and get it to a point where I can let it go before I start something else. If I don't I will lose that thought. The logic to where stop points off is unclear to others, but it makes sense to me. Unfortonately this means I can not explain it. I also think very "completely". There really is no grey area when it comes to thinking with me; all or nothing. I realised that nearly everything I think about, must be done to such a complete level that I must be able to then take that thought, and explain it to others. I don't try to do this, it is automatic. This is why a lot of people have the impression that I am really smart (which is very over estimated by many people), because I can often explain things with good clarity. Its just that, that is what my style of thinking does, it's slow, but very complete. This further creates this strange disparity between my thinking and language. Because for me to explain I must rely on language.

In short, I am neither left or right brained, I balance both, and I am a very slow but complete thinker, based in the auditory (but not language).

I think in patterns. In some levels, I think in analogies.

oxxo
xoox
Ask not what your country and do for you, ask what you can do for your country: country - you - you - country

tennis -> A swing - B bounce - B swing - A bounce

bear and bull cycles in the stock market and how the curves cross each other

stuff like that.

oxxo
xoox
Ask not what your country and do for you, ask what you can do for your country: country - you - you - country

stuff like that.

Very Ti based. It will be really interesting to hear a variety of types come in and explain.

This type of thinking is alien to me, and would be very very diffcult for me to understand and do for myself. But is very fascinating to observe.

It's a shame we don't have any active SJ's on the forums, I am really interested to see how Si thinks.

ok. I hope i can put my things in words:

First i thing come in mind as picture. If picture don't come into mind then i will not able to understand. then memory tries to interpret then words will come. Then thinking goes on.:)

I understand my thing this way. Sorry.

Oh, this dreaded question. I will do my best.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a very slow thinker. It takes me a while to process information and come up with a way to verbalize it. I might intrinsically understand something in my head, but won't be able to explain it. Going from those two things takes the longest.

I'm a bit like that. When I first encounter a subject, I will have an initial thought about it and after that, I won't even actively think about it. I don't actively think about much, actually. That actually bothers me quite a bit. It's always a bit of a issue explaining my true thought processes, I don't do it much; I've only done it a few times on this forum to be exact.

I am very much an auditory learner, supplemented by visual. However, there is something very interesting with me being an auditory learner; I am terrible with language. As an example (and this came up recently off the forums), I can't understand anything outside of plain english. What I mean is, writing written in modern english (shakespere style if you will) is near impossible for me to get. I have to read it, reread it, then reread it again and again before I can start to get it. It's very hard for me to understand unless language is explicit and clear. So as an auditory learner, I am actually based in sounds, not words.
I'm actually pretty decent with language, even if I'm not really all that acquainted with it. I do my best phrasing when I can talk in a common day's vernacular or the dialect of English I am used to using (A little bit above the level of the commoner. I'd like to think I speak a little better than the average person.) I don't actually read much of anything twice unless I'm assigned it. I tend to dislike excessive metaphor though. Hmm. I never thought about it before, but I tend to prefer the tone of something over what is actually said. I actually tend to ignore what people say, at times, just to focus on their tone. What people say usually isn't a good sign of anything. (Random note: I <3 Chaucer and the cantebury tales)

I remember what people say to me very easily. Lecture is needed in school otherwise I struggle. When I remember what people say though, it is in their voice, and how they say it, not what they say. If their voice is distinct enough (and often it is), I will remember how they say something, the tone, speed, etc. From that I basicly hear a rythym with it, a tone, a style, and I can then retain the words they say, because they are actully said a certain way. What proves this to me, is I can hear or repeat what someone has said to me clearly, but not actually understand the words they have said. It was just a tone, I remember the tone, but not the words. This form of remembering and thinking is both very useful and very diffucult at the same time for me. Sounds can make me remember almost anything, and I am often surprised at the deeply forgotton memories I have had that I did not think about for year, which were reemerged by sounds.
I also remember what people say to me easily. I don't need lecture, if I can read something then I'm generally good. I can't remember graphs or much that well, but I can remember what the graphs mean. I am very much the same, I tend to listen to how a person says something first and then what they actually say. Tone and word choice reign supreme with me (This might be why I can interpret and recreate accents so well.)

I supplement the auditory with visual. I create images and figures in my head as I am explained to, but this is back processed. I am not really aware that I do this, it becomes apparent after I have walked away (more on this later). The visual is supplemented because the sounds and notes link to the images I see (it might be a graph I was shown or something, or created on my own), and each sound word and note will cause me to link to the image. So really it just is another way information is stored.
I don't tend to need images when I'm remembering something UNLESS I'm trying to think of something new/another perception of something or I'm trying to remember a distant memory and I feel like a visual image would help. Since I can't remember a lot of my childhood, I don't do this often. I tend to visualize new concepts and how things should be/could be the most often.
This also brings me to another point. I am a very rigid thinker. I can not think about more then one thing at a time. I must start a thought, and get it to a point where I can let it go before I start something else. If I don't I will lose that thought. The logic to where stop points off is unclear to others, but it makes sense to me. Unfortonately this means I can not explain it. I also think very "completely". There really is no grey area when it comes to thinking with me; all or nothing. I realised that nearly everything I think about, must be done to such a complete level that I must be able to then take that thought, and explain it to others. I don't try to do this, it is automatic. This is why a lot of people have the impression that I am really smart (which is very over estimated by many people), because I can often explain things with good clarity. Its just that, that is what my style of thinking does, it's slow, but very complete. This further creates this strange disparity between my thinking and language. Because for me to explain I must rely on language.

In short, I am neither left or right brained, I balance both, and I am a very slow but complete thinker, based in the auditory (but not language).
Hmm. I don't do that often. I tend to get side tracked in my thought but I always know where I left off, so to speak. I'm a improviser, and I can generally come up with a "decent" explanation of what I'm thinking about but if I want to truly explain something to someone; it takes me far longer to think of the right argument for them to listen to.

oxxo
xoox

stuff like that.
rofl......what the heck..... 0.o yeah...not this for sure ;) but I find that very interesting too...I especially like to see it in action.
Im with Indigo, I dont get Shakespeare at all. I am pretty visual and also things I hear. What I hear people say and what I see people do..

In feeling tones.
I get a feeling or a sense of something being off.. then I have to work backwards by thinking about it. It's usually like that.

And if a subject bores me. My brain stops working. But if I find I am invested in a subject or it intrigues me, then it's a very vivid feeling, sort of like a rush and I absorb a lot of details and such.

Oh this is going to help define each cognitive function so so beautifully without even realising it! It already has been! <3

patterns.. connections.. visual expansions of thought..imagine a supernova, that's kind of how i think, it starts off from one place and expands in many directions :)

Oh this is going to help define each cognitive function so so beautifully without even realising it! It already has been! <3

Care to explain further? I've noticed a trend that most INTPs tend to prefer Visual thinking (And tend to lean left brained more so than right brained.) INFJs tend to be auditory learners (And, awkwardly, a signficant majority tends to vote that they are left brained. Most are right I would think.) INTJs tend to be visual learners (And left brained. I'm the minority being an auditory learner and right brained.) INFPs tend to think in feeling tones.

So, I'm guessing here.

Ni dom == A bit biased toward auditory learning? Ni/Fe tends to definitely lean towards auditory thinking. Ni/Te tends to lean towards Visual thinking.
Ti/Te dom == Bias towards visual learning
Fi/Fe dom == Bias towards feeling tones
Si =? bias towards visual
Se == Bias towards tactile experiences/learning.

I admit, I don't know much about this subject, I'm just kind of including my knowledge from the whole lateralization of the brain thing that I've been interested in for a while (Even though, for the most part, it seems like a bit of pop science)

Visual thinker. Words can and will escape me but pictures and concepts that can be visualized will. It makes thinking through things such as quantum mechanics and organic reactions much easier but I also use it to be able to see how event can unfold such as shooting pool or thinking through how someone would react if i were to do XYZ.

-relations, networks, rather graph-like than tree-like, i.e. emphasis on connectivity instead of hierarchy
-sequences, which are again numerical relations; music
-spatial ambivalence
-tons of backtracking to the point of sometimes getting lost
these come to mind immediately, probably am missing some important feats

I think in pictures as well as emotions that I visual in colours.

My pictures are abstract and difficult to describe especially when I need to verbalize what I have reasoned. The picture is sometimes so convoluted that I am unable to convey what I want to say in a short sentence though I try to. The processing of verbalizing is for me slow and strenuous where my reasoning is in fast clips of convoluted pictures all in one snap shot or so it seems. The snap shot (if I can call it that) is filled with exactly what I want to say in one neat picture but how do I decipher this into a verbal repertoire without losing the recipient’s interest, as I struggle to find the right words to fit the picture. I can never truly convey my reasoning; the closest I get to it is in writing which is still slow but more satisfying.

Last edited:
rofl......what the heck..... 0.o yeah...not this for sure ;) but I find that very interesting too...I especially like to see it in action.
Im with Indigo, I dont get Shakespeare at all. I am pretty visual and also things I hear. What I hear people say and what I see people do..

I used to be a solo cellist. Pattern thinking like this helps a lot in music. It's like translating stuff into music. Copland's overture is about 2 kids playing cowboys and indians. Debussy was a master musical imagery of the french variety. SaintSaens wrote music about the animal kingdom and Holst about the planets. Even the soundtrack to bugs bunny cartoons.

On the flip side, I just wouldn't be able to do the following piece, only because I keep thinking that it's a freaking run-on
"...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. "
- Joyce Ulysses

I can't pick out the pattern so the technical parts escape me, however it affects me just the same. Hence, this is magic to me.

Okay here we go. I'm right brained so my thinking is really weird.

I love thinking in motions. Just imagining motions of theoretical microscopic actions is awesome, and that's just the only example that comes to mind right now. If I can assign a motion to something, I will do it. Simple as that.

Next I like to think in pictures or directions. Coming back to this later, I completely forget about spatial. Spatial thinking comes after movemental (how do you phrase that) thinking. And then would come visual. That makes more sense.

After that I would imagine that thinking logically and emotionally are intrinsically tied for me. I mean, I guess that's true for everyone but I just imagine that tenfold for myself. Could be wrong I suppose. But I mean the way I'm imagining it right now is that feelings are trying to figure out my conclusions as my conclusions are trying to figure out my words. Its a mess, really. I feel my thoughts before I think my feelings though.

Finally I think in words. A word will come out. I'll usually try to make it rhyme or think of another word that starts with the same letter. Literally, this is how final my thinking in words comes out.

I imagine this whole thing having very humorous results.

I find myself to be a really quick learner, and I almost think its an INFJ thing. Like literally, if you've taught someone before I'll probably catch on decently quick. Doesn't really matter how you teach. Like everyone though I learn best by doing so I suppose if that's a learning style then that would be my preferred.

Last edited:
i think like a lava lamp in small suspended fragments of information made out of images, words, concepts, emotions and sensory junk. i am very capable with the english language and manipulating it to communicate my thoughts and emotions. i have a vibrant visual imagination and my mind is capable of reproducing the voices of people i know to a point of accuracy at which i have become convinced that they were literally broadcasting their thoughts to me. i produce small notions quickly and easily but i combine them and relate them to one another slowly and methodically and in this sense i am not a "quick" thinker at all. i can occasionally creatively transform abstract thought into meaningful and original narrative and metaphor. and actually, thinking metaphorically is probably fairly natural to me.

Last edited:
I reckon a one way to describe it would be an information tornado, filled with pretty much just about everything I've experienced in life...with the more recent elements being a bit easier to pluck out. This comprises of pictures, short movies I guess you'd call them, random words and phrases, then completely structured thoughts on things. When certain stimuli hits me, a hook darts into the vortex and pulls out everything that stimuli might pertain to...but sometimes its not even in the same ballpark.

Sometimes the different thoughts and reflections inside my head becomes more like a round table discussion. This is where I got "The Convening of the Council of Gibberish" title for my blog, as each speaker(played by a random actor or person I've met in life and containing whatever random snippet) stands up to speak their peace when the time comes. They can also take me on some pretty wild tangents. Behind the speakers there are a multitude of doors, in case we need to bring a speaker up from archives. In this case any new stimuli is immediately thrown on the table and the appropriate speaker(memory) stands up and does their thing.

Well thats pretty much how I think...I think. Sean Connery keeps telling me this is all top secret and I should not hit submit, his accent is rather overpowering but he has been overruled.

A large part of my thought process is verbal... at least my conscious thought process. I would say visual and tactile thinking are secondary, but I use those as well.

Yet, there's also this underlying framework of analogies much like durentu's going on in the background. I only really notice about it when I'm learning a new language, having an intense debate with an NT, or solving a math problem. It wears me out, though.

I used to be much better at describing this... I wish I could find where I wrote it down. I had all these wonderful analogies, like chroma/luma, or a kaleidoscope.

Last edited: