how do you interact with sensors? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

how do you interact with sensors?

What thread starter and some other people here are forgetting is that we have a sensor function too - Se! And we need it, we need to cherish it, use it, and nurture it, so sensors can help us do this, hang out with them and enjoy the ride - they will make you Ni spin even faster, too, because I find you need sensory input to do intuitive things. Sensors are great people, and they have intuitive functions too, you're not like from some other world. But what you'll find is if you talk and push a sensor around, they will get drained, and if they don't have a respect for the fact that your S is weaker than theirs, you will feel drained. Hanging out with an ESTP might actually cause your hear to stop, if there's not alot of great respect for each others involved.

Don't try to play the S game at their level, but you have it in you to talk about sensory stuff, just try to wrap them in some intuition, like, talk about flowers adn nature and kittens and things you care about, if you don't do any sensory stuff at all and just sit in your house all day, I'm sure you will have a hard time communicating about sensory stuff..

It helps me, to accept (fully), that people with high sensing function will sense quicker and often better than me, no matter if the person is friend, or adversary. It is good if we can laugh at ourselves a little bit in this respect, as it does confirm to ourselves, the way we were created.

Some sensors seem to be especially good politically, others in terms of logistics.

I talk strategy and tactics with sensors - and l always learn a lot. It seems at times that sensors know how to do certain things extremely well, without understanding the principles of how they do what they do - it's almost like instinct. I study what they do, to establish the principles, that can be of use to me.

Most sensors are also slightly flattered when you're interested in their approach to things.

Sincerely referencing a sensing person for instruction, or for their point of view, will usually endear you to them, and it shows a form of humility that can sometimes dispel perceived aloofness.

Now I must leave to attend Bird Fest to help improve my poor sensing skills!

so I both have the desire to and feel like I should be able to talk with anyone, but I just fucking can't $&#*@$&#@*!!!

How do you interact with (or act around) sensors?

I can be fun around sensors. I notice them. I intuit the compatibility of their communication style and act or stay back accordingly. Usually, I like to joke with sensors, because they seem to appreciate some of the humor I put forth. I love their bewildered look when I come up with ideas that they find intriguing but may not always be inclined to interact with.

If you "can't" talk to sensors, it's just a sign that you need time to get used to their ways. Your inner being will automatically start reacting to them if you're around them long enough. Otherwise, just sit back and adapt and observe.

I am both a social and a socially adept person

I am also curious as to how you can refer to yourself as a socially adept person, OP, when you are saying that you "just fucking can't" interact with sensors, and sensors supposedly make up the majority of the population if I'm not mistaken...

It seems at times that sensors know how to do certain things extremely well, without understanding the principles of how they do what they do - it's almost like instinct. I study what they do, to establish the principles, that can be of use to me.

I suppose this is where I lean toward S. I don't like having to explain why I do what I do. Theory, methodology... no thanks. It wears me out. I go with my gut. I produce results. I learn more by watching others do what they do and incorporate the new knowledge and skills into my repertoire. I'm happy to lead by example and talk through my processes as I execute them, but I just can't sit there and mull over the reasons for it.

Communication with sensors is easy. Shoot the shit and listen.

It often starts with "hello". Occasionally, I'll throw in a "how are you?" or "how's it going?". If I don't know the person very well, I might ask a politely curious yet pleasant "so, how has your day been going so far?" It's often enough to start a conversation, and then you simply take it where the person seems to want to head.

I'm being slightly facetious, but I honestly believe there is no set way in which to interact with a diverse group of persons who supposedly have one thing in common. The MBTI is powerful, but I don't think it's powerful or telling enough to suggest how we ought to converse with such a large population of people, even if it would be helpful to have such a guide.

If you're stumped in communicating with people, I'd take a moment to consider what they may value and what they are interested in, and then to use that information to help you with the interaction. Unless you have to take the lead, why not gently guide/steer the discussion and let them provide the backbone? Simply be the cushion or wall off of which they bounce dialogue or ideas (yes, even sensors do this)... and if this is boring then perhaps find an issue which they can discuss at a greater depth.

Or else, just be yourself and let them meet you halfway. If it doesn't work, take comfort in the quiet. Silence doesn't have to be awkward, and it doesn't have to be something to blame anyone (including yourself) for. It's okay.

Sometimes I will change them if the check engine light doesn't go away, but usually I can get it to go away by just unplugging them and then plugging them back in.

Reactions: barbad0s
My check engine light is possessed. I used to freak out when it came on, certain everything would blow up. Now unless there is resultant ominious noises, I ignore it. Also, my speedometer died a long time ago. I find it doesn"t bother me.

Reactions: the
For fucks sake people just be yourself! You don't need to "interact with sensors" in any special way; they're human, you're human, we all understand each other.

Anyway how the hell would you know they're all sensors unless you've tested each and every one of them?

This thread reeks of "I'm an N and therefore deep, Ss can't understand me". No, S types can understand you perfectly fine, we just don't care for your arrogant self-important bullshit.

Reactions: This
Some sensors can annoy me. It's like they are incapable of thinking in the future.

I thought that was a J trait?

My sister used to be a strong sensor ... she transformed into a strong intuitive.

That isnt how this whole MBTI thing works.

When surrounded by sensors, I tend to just stand/sit silently and feel awkward. When I do manage to blurt something out, it is liable to be so bland that nobody even acknowledges it. This is very frustrating because, like may INFJs, I am both a social and a socially adept person--so I both have the desire to and feel like I should be able to talk with anyone, but I just fucking can't $&#*@$&#@*!!!

"So... nice weather. So... how are you doing? So... I had a sandwich for lunch. So... these chairs are uncomfortable. Uhh... did you get much sleep last night?"

How do you interact with (or act around) sensors?

If you are socially adept then whats the problem? It sounds like the problem is that you arent very interesting.

I hate my smoke detector! Every time we have a storm with strong winds, it goes haywire.

Reactions: hush
If most INFJs don't care to interact with others, and normally care to get to know people before they can understand them ... how would you even know who is a sensor or not? It makes no sense. So many behave differently in public than in private (moi.) You aren't THAT smart to pick one out of a line up. That would make a GREAT quiz though, like the "identify the Asian transgender" quiz. :D

Go on ahead, accuse me of not being an INFJ. I'm waiting. *yawns*

Last edited:
Reactions: the
I appreciate the sensors in my life. One just kept me from losing my phone! Again. I'd actually be SOL if I didn't have thoughtful people like that covering my back.

If most INFJs don't care to interact with others, and normally care to get to know people before they can understand them ... how would you even know who is a sensor or not? It makes no sense. So many behave differently in public than in private (moi.) You aren't THAT smart to pick one out of a line up. That would make a GREAT quiz though, like the "identify the Asian transgender" quiz. :D

Go on ahead, accuse me of not being an INFJ. I'm waiting. *yawns*

You ISFJ you! *ducks*

I'm a rather "sensing" person for an INFJ at least. But... you won't walk into my room/house and see a bunch of ordered lists, calendars with dates circled, notes written, and labels on things. I don't easily fall into routines, my closet isn't organized and one pair of shoes is more than enough for any occasion. Sometimes you really can tell a "sensor" just by being in the same room with them!

Oh... and I don't have a meltdown the second a plan changes!

You ISFJ you! *ducks*

I'm a rather "sensing" person for an INFJ at least. But... you won't walk into my room/house and see a bunch of ordered lists, calendars with dates circled, notes written, and labels on things. I don't easily fall into routines, my closet isn't organized and one pair of shoes is more than enough for any occasion. Sometimes you really can tell a "sensor" just by being in the same room with them!

Oh... and I don't have a meltdown the second a plan changes!

Being organised isn't really an N-S thing, that's more down to your judgement functions and their strengths. ESTJs can be the organised people on the planet and comparatively INFJs can be quite scatterbrained.

To be honest, I don't understand this whole intuitive versus sensors bullshit. Reading this thread, it sounds a lot like many of you are interacting with (internet perpetuated) stereotypes rather than people. Sensing and Intuition are perceiving functions. They're not that easy to spot in a person. Shallow and stilted conversations (the job, the weather, what you had for lunch, etc.) does not equal sensor. It could just as well equal 'I don't know you very well.' Furthermore, "YAY Let's go on an adventure!" does not equal sensor. It could, it could not.

I would say that a lot of the observations that are popping up in this thread can boil down to a difference between J and P or F and T or even just extrovert versus introvert. It's easier to differentiate an F from a T or a judger from a perceiver than it is to spot a sensor versus an intuitive, so I'm really wondering how some of you even figure...