How do you define a friend? | INFJ Forum

How do you define a friend?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
It is when you simply know somebodies name and they know yours? Is it when you trust somebody? Is it when you rely on somebody? Is it only if they serve some utility? Is it when you have an emotional connection to somebody? When does a stranger become a friend?

A friend for me is a person who respects me for who I am and what my opinions are.

A friend is some one who will be there to catch you when you fall, and respects and loves you for who you are. A friend also is a person who tells you what you need to hear rather than what you want to hear.

I find myself really having an emotional connection with people if we're good friends. The only ones that I have stick around are the ones where there isn't any of that "awkwardness"... The one's that you could tell something completely absurd to, and they won't be judgmental towards you, and vice versa. It's hard to explain, but there are those people I meet, and I just know there's nothing there but someone I associate with. And then there are those people who I know I can seriously bond with from the second I meet them.

A friend for me is someone who actually talks to me and not at me, who I can exchange ideas and feelings with freely, someone who gives as well as takes, and I can feel comfortable returning without hesitation. Someone who can play counselor as well as the patient.

It is when you simply know somebodies name and they know yours?

No.

Is it when you trust somebody?

I have a hard time trusting even people close to me, I have friends I don't entirely trust.

Is it when you rely on somebody?

I try and be as self-reliant as possible, so no.

Is it only if they serve some utility?

No way!

Is it when you have an emotional connection to somebody?

Yeah it is I suppose, it's when I enjoy being around them and vice versa.

When does a stranger become a friend?

I'm not sure...

To me, when someone has stuck around for at least two years consistently enough to have bear witness to my excessive withdrawal from society and need to feel alive through mental stimulation.

Takes a lot for me to consider someone a friend, I can use the word superficially to describe many people in my life but someone that I truly consider a friend is hard to come by. In most social situations I'll focus the conversation on the other person so the oppotunity to develop a two-way relationship is not freely presented, if it's not two-way it's not a real friendship in my mind. Those who are my real friends are the people that I open up too as they've shown me unquestionable trust and loyalty along with a keen interest in knowing the real me.

A friend for me is someone who actually talks to me and not at me, who I can exchange ideas and feelings with freely, someone who gives as well as takes, and I can feel comfortable returning without hesitation. Someone who can play counselor as well as the patient.

Nice. Definitely.

I have never had a problem making friends. But keeping them around is a different story. I have three friends that I have known for over fifteen years. At this point we live in different states. But we travel to see each other we call each other weekly. Sometimes daily. A friend is someone you can rely on to mess up your day. And make your day at the same time. They can lift you up and tear you down. My friends know me. Very few do. It's that bond you make by doing things with them that no one else will ever understand, because they were there to experience what you did with you. My friends are also my family. And crossing them will get me crossing you.

I find myself really having an emotional connection with people if we're good friends. The only ones that I have stick around are the ones where there isn't any of that "awkwardness"... The one's that you could tell something completely absurd to, and they won't be judgmental towards you, and vice versa. It's hard to explain, but there are those people I meet, and I just know there's nothing there but someone I associate with. And then there are those people who I know I can seriously bond with from the second I meet them.
That sums it up for me :clap2:

I've had four or five friends in my twenty years far fewer than most people I've known. They have been very close relationships and anyone who knew us would say so. Usually just one friend at a time, I'm very one on one.