How Do You Conceive of God? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How Do You Conceive of God?

Reactions: Ren
No way for a simple answer, as God is love or the Word. God has become my very nature. God is in my mind....and my heart. He is in my thoughts and my actions. He once said, I Am. Well, He is. God is understanding. God is my life. God, the Creator. God, the merciful. God, the strength and power. I yearn to leave this place and be with Him. God, the revealer of things not seen. God, my salvation. He's the man.

No way for a simple answer, as God is love or the Word. God has become my very nature. God is in my mind....and my heart. He is in my thoughts and my actions. He once said, I Am. Well, He is. God is understanding. God is my life. God, the Creator. God, the merciful. God, the strength and power. I yearn to leave this place and be with Him. God, the revealer of things not seen. God, my salvation. He's the man.
Very similar for me just me - except when I forget, but I get little nudges then lol ..... :)

God chastens those He loves. Those unwilling to accept are not of God.

Have you read Soren Kierkegaard? I think you'd like his works. Particularly Fear and Trembling.

Have you read Soren Kierkegaard? I think you'd like his works. Particularly Fear and Trembling.

Never read it. If I can ever find time, remind me now and then. I think a man in his spiritual journey learns about fear and trembling. Then, I think God chooses some people to test, in order to help them stand firm instead of in fear and trembling when God uses them later. Then, he uses them again and again making them a different man...once again, for His purpose, for those that are willing.

I do not think God has made of me a sword people try not to pass in the water, but go around yet. Maybe God is about to introduce me to His next venture. I feel it will be a proud and corrupt people He wants me to stand up to. Like Jonah, I feel they have hardened themselves so much they will not adhere to God's wishes. The fear part may be gone, but it is quite difficult to forget the trembling when in the Hands of God.

Had someone the other day say they didn't like the Old Testament with all the fear and trembling. Without a turning away or repentance, that person may not like the future either. A house needs dusting and vacuuming. A yard needs cutting and raking.
A child needs teaching and correcting. When the ground is dry, it needs rain. When it is overly wet, it needs the wind and sunshine. I feel that without fear and trembling, many people will never know all about God. He is the sword in the river everyone goes around. I like to sit with that sword and enjoy the river. When the mighty winds and rains come, it can be sad for multitudes. I suppose some of His children may calm themselves with it when they come.

Reactions: Ren and jn56uytrx
Hi guys, I decided to create a thread on the topic of God as you conceive him/her/it/them.

I'm struck by the fact that often, we tend to approach this debate as opposing three 'factions': believers vs. atheists vs. agnostics. But in fact, it's possible and common enough to identify as a theist without necessarily committing to belief in the Christian God. So here, I am wondering about what kind of God you believe in, if you do; or, for those who either do not believe or remain agnostic: what kind of God would you consider believing in?

You are free to come up with your own subjective understandings of what "God" could be.

God does not be, God is the be'er (saw in book i liked). We dance God is the dance, we are expressions of God. God has many expressions and we can relate to god through many manifestations. Panentheism is my main approach. The universe is encaptured within god and is not separate, yet united with everything. Panentheism allows me to feel gods overwhelming love in everything. I am curios if infj are particularly inclined to the outlook of panentheism. I like the image of the universe being gods unborn baby and that one day there will be a revalation (massiah) and god will give birth to the universe. I have a lot more ideas about this if anyone actually sees this and is interested.

How I perceive God may seem a bit hypocritical to some. ♡ I do not believe in structured religion and it's dogmatic ritualism. Similarly as to why I can't claim being a true witch, it's too much ritual, leaves me feeling boxed in and not free, lol.

In my understanding of Christianity, I view Jesus as a teacher, spreading through word and deed about a way of being and not a god to be worshipped. We'll look at Catholicism as an example. I tease my Episcopalian friends about being rebel Catholics who don't want to follow the rules...because there are a LOT of rules in all religions, especially Catholicism, and because of this, I see many of them as cultish. To clarify, I have an issue paying homage to some big angry Father sitting on a fancied throne ready to strike me down the moment I make a mistake while trying to follow his tight and strict rules. And, if I don't follow said rules, Jesus won't be my friend and I'll not get my place in heaven with the rest of my friends and family and instead my spirit will be left to meander the earth bewailing the injustice of it all...seems like punishment to me, and why carry that ideology around? :D

Now, don't mistake my chippy reply as my renouncing God, because I'll not do that for or to anyone. I believe that there is a presence, a source of life, a feeling of love, if you'll humor me, that is just here, for me, in me, around me. This is in every face I encounter, especially when I make eye contact with the other person; it is in every flower, seashell, tall or short tree, on the wind, in a flame of a campfire, etc.-- insert any other natural object here. It is also in the face of a dying human, a spent leaf from a tree, a barren field in late winter...am I doing ok making my point that it is indeed mysterious?

Where there is consciousness, attention to inspiration, life, love, belief, faith, etc., there is God.

The lists are infinite ... but for me the final answer is, where ever I Am, there too is God, the Source of all that was and ever will be. I'm certian that others find comfort in their own path to what or who they show gratitude to for their life, and if they do not...well I just can't comprehend that ♡

:<3white:

Hi guys, I decided to create a thread on the topic of God as you conceive him/her/it/them.

You are free to come up with your own subjective understandings of what "God" could be.

I'm posting my response before I continue to read through the thread.

I can never explain this to others in a comprehensive manner. I imagine you can steer me in the right path.

I believe in the universe. I think that the universe is "God." I believe in energy. Positive and Negative. I believe that when compared to other religions, "heaven" is positive energy, and "hell" is negative.
I"m going to try to quickly elaborate to the best of my ability.

I feel like I I'm more good than bad. I manifest more positive energy than negative. I love to no end, I want all others in this world to be happy, positive, and compassionate. I try to always carry this energy with me when I'm out in the world and have contact with other people... I show kindness and patience to even the most stupid fucking idiots out there, *sorry*, and hope that my positive energy contagiously spreads to others.

There are people who manifest and hold on to so much negative energy. They refuse to see the bright side. They carry much hate in their hearts. They hurt, kill, sabotage. They're a toxic kind of mean. Some are pure evil!

I believe that the energy we carry within us upon our death is what determines our heaven or hell. Positive energy stays so. Negative energy remains. It's simply dispersed back into the universe, somewhere.

Even though I dont believe in Christian heaven, I feel in the very depths of my soul, that I won't be sent somewhere bad (hell). I find myself always believing that the goodness I carry in my heart/soul will leave my body, up on death, and the universe will recycle it (so to speak), and create something good from it. On the opposite end, all the evil fuckers are just helping to create some other evil force, somewhere, something, sometime.

My take on going to heaven is knowing that my love, light, positive energy will continue to exist in whatever form(s) it take(s) on.

I also believe in the existence of "gods." I see truths in many religions, but I believe that gods of any faith are more like idols who existed at one time and were more like 'celebrity status' than an almighty creator. I believe some were here to show us how existence is intended to be (in my opinion): positive. My favorites are Jesus and Buddha. They promoted love, peace, acceptance. At least this is what I've taken from my learnings.
---------------------------
I'm almost hesitant to send this thread. I feel like I sound stupid. ...so stupid.

I hate being so ignorant. I really want to learn. I look forward to your response. In the meantime, I'm going to venture on through the thread. :)

For me, whatever name you want to attach to the entity/energy around us, and however you want to think of and worship that as an entity is entirely up to you, even if you believe in there being nothing. There is no right or wrong, except when the faith harms others for the sake of maintaining itself as the one and only correct faith. That qualifies as insanely wrong.

I was going to post more about my personal view, but something threw a lightning bolt at me and I think I'll take that as a hint and call it a night ;)

Last edited:
Well, from my point of view there is no such thing but I can't be sure of that. Thus there is no objective certainty nor a point of view that would be better than anyone else's.

I think that the better question would be; Why do you conceive godlike entity?

Well, from my point of view there is no such thing but I can't be sure of that. Thus there is no objective certainty nor a point of view that would be better than anyone else's.

I think that the better question would be; Why do you conceive godlike entity?

True, that is a very good question!

The thing about the concept of God is that it's different from the question whether God exists or not. That is, regardless of your stance on the question of God's existence, you share the fact of having a concept of God with people of very different beliefs (though it would be very interesting to research whether certain cultures/languages lack a concept of God!) — unless you consider that the concept of God itself is meaningless? This would be a fascinating stance to have, actually. I'll ponder this this afternoon, I'm a bit hungover so it's a perfect opportunity! ;)

True, that is a very good question!

The thing about the concept of God is that it's different from the question whether God exists or not. That is, regardless of your stance on the question of God's existence, you share the fact of having a concept of God with people of very different beliefs (though it would be very interesting to research whether certain cultures/languages lack a concept of God!) — unless you consider that the concept of God itself is meaningless? This would be a fascinating stance to have, actually. I'll ponder this this afternoon, I'm a bit hungover so it's a perfect opportunity! ;)

On that note, I feel prompted to share this. It's one of my favorite commercials. If all these gods can sit together a d get along, so can we. :)