How Do You Conceive of God? | INFJ Forum

How Do You Conceive of God?

Ren

Seeker at heart
Oct 10, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi guys, I decided to create a thread on the topic of God as you conceive him/her/it/them.

I'm struck by the fact that often, we tend to approach this debate as opposing three 'factions': believers vs. atheists vs. agnostics. But in fact, it's possible and common enough to identify as a theist without necessarily committing to belief in the Christian God. So here, I am wondering about what kind of God you believe in, if you do; or, for those who either do not believe or remain agnostic: what kind of God would you consider believing in?

You are free to come up with your own subjective understandings of what "God" could be.

There is a back door if you will without all the theology and aesthetics but sadly it gets wildly complicated yet every bit as exciting should one have an open mind. The most common complicating factor for people is being trapped in the box thinking that doesn't allow for the consideration of metaphysics let alone putting together the vast amounts of fragmentary information. The esoteric and zen types ect will say to find God one must look inside self first.

Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omniscient.

I have no empirical evidence for such a God's existence, only faith that such a God's existence is possible.

Well, that such a God's existence is possible is objectively true, don't you think? Does it have to be based on faith? What would make its existence impossible, for it to be metaphysically necessary that God in your definition is not the case? Nothing that I can think of.

Do you perhaps mean that you have faith that God's existence is the case, rather than simply possible?

The esoteric and zen types ect will say to find God one must look inside self first.

I understand, but what kind of God do you believe in/conceive of? A perfect being, nature, the cosmos, a kind of spiritual form, an idea... something else?

I understand, but what kind of God do you believe in/conceive of? A perfect being, nature, the cosmos, a kind of spiritual form, an idea... something else?

Working on it and that is coming from being a Christian, God as a person or entity is nothing simple by any measure and a single lifetime is nothing but a drop in a bucket as far as learning the all in all goes. To get deep answers one has to do a insane amount of research and that includes going to unusual or even bizarre sources to get information then piece it all together as it is so fragmentary as one religion or another just doesn't cut it naturally. As far as the Bible is concerned it is incomplete but being esoteric in nature it is layered in so many ways it takes decades to really poke through it all and even then no one has a complete understanding by their own efforts. Take into account the known lost books which easily totals to a third to half really does put in a whole new spin on things which the Roman church did Everything it could to stomp out. The Roman church took out vast swaths of the Bible and prevented more books from being written so the church lost enormous amounts of valuable information that was of the period.

Working on it and that is coming from being a Christian, God as a person or entity is nothing simple by any measure and a single lifetime is nothing but a drop in a bucket as far as learning the all in all goes. To get deep answers one has to do a insane amount of research and that includes going to unusual or even bizarre sources to get information then piece it all together as it is so fragmentary as one religion or another just doesn't cut it naturally. As far as the Bible is concerned it is incomplete but being esoteric in nature it is layered in so many ways it takes decades to really poke through it all and even then no one has a complete understanding by their own efforts. Take into account the known lost books which easily totals to a third to half really does put in a whole new spin on things which the Roman church did Everything it could to stomp out. The Roman church took out vast swaths of the Bible and prevented more books from being written so the church lost enormous amounts of valuable information that was of the period.

Thanks for your answer! Your humility is inspiring :)

Would you say that you have, generally speaking, a syncretic approach to understanding God's nature? Sorry about the technical vocabulary; but I'm raising this point because I am getting more and more drawn to that idea, although probably from a different perspective.

Thanks for your answer! Your humility is inspiring :)

Would you say that you have, generally speaking, a syncretic approach to understanding God's nature? Sorry about the technical vocabulary; but I'm raising this point because I am getting more and more drawn to that idea, although probably from a different perspective.

The point for me going into all of that is to find the why behind the why so on so forth until the whole and complete truth is reached whatever it maybe. The answers I am finding so far go beyond anything that is normally available like reincarnation ect, some of the stuff is out there and wild but no less fascinating. One of the answers is that embedded within the subconscious is an untapped well of knowledge that we as humanity is only just learning how to tap and that it is a bottomless abyss in its depth and scope. When the deep subconscious mind is tapped you not only get information but often full memories and full experiences beyond the scope of one's own life. Some there is some really Interesting examples out there should you find them and some are otherworldly in their depth with some being historically important.The downside is going to be attention seekers looking for a boost and validation so have a healthy amount of salt on hand when researching.

I believe there is an essential "thing," and that all things we name and experience as unique objects/beings, including ourselves, are limited expressions of this essential oneness.

Still searching, but this is the closest I have come to describing what I believe:

https://www.pantheism.net/paul/history/spinoza.htm

All quotes are from Spinoza, Ethics, translated by R. H. Elwes.

God is one, that is, only one substance can be granted in the universe. [I.14]

Individual things are nothing but modifications of the attributes of God, or modes by which the attributes of God are expressed in a fixed and definite manner. [i.25.]

Nature does not work with an end in view.For the eternal and infinite Being, which we call God or Nature, acts by the same necessity as that whereby it exists… . Therefore, as he does not exist for the sake of an end, so neither does he act for the sake of an end; of his existence and of his action there is neither origin nor end. [iv. Preface]

Well, that such a God's existence is possible is objectively true, don't you think?
Well, it's a logically coherent idea. However, it's still a maybe when it comes to verifying God's existence. If it weren't, being an agnostic or an athiest would be absurd.

Does it have to be based on faith?
Yeah, unless it could be independently verified.
What would make its existence impossible, for it to be metaphysically necessary that God in your definition is not the case? Nothing that I can think of.
The condition that we know everything that we possibly can about the universe, I presume.

Do you perhaps mean that you have faith that God's existence is the case, rather than simply possible?
No, because who is to say that Zeus' existence is not the case? I mean possible.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I decided to create a thread on the topic of God as you conceive him/her/it/them.

I'm struck by the fact that often, we tend to approach this debate as opposing three 'factions': believers vs. atheists vs. agnostics. But in fact, it's possible and common enough to identify as a theist without necessarily committing to belief in the Christian God. So here, I am wondering about what kind of God you believe in, if you do; or, for those who either do not believe or remain agnostic: what kind of God would you consider believing in?

You are free to come up with your own subjective understandings of what "God" could be.

Ohhh. Well, something too powerful for humans to comprehend. Something that doesn't subscribe to all the man-made rules organized religions place on it. Something good.

Here is this... Time to return to my adventures in hibernation...

You cannot know God – but you have to know Him to know that. – Fr. Thomas Hopko

Last edited:
Ohhh. Well, something too powerful for humans to comprehend. Something that doesn't subscribe to all the man-made rules organized religions place on it. Something good.

How Kantian of you, Asa.

:m024:

without necessarily committing to belief in the Christian God
How I perceive God may seem a bit hypocritical to some. ♡ I do not believe in structured religion and it's dogmatic ritualism. Similarly as to why I can't claim being a true witch, it's too much ritual, leaves me feeling boxed in and not free, lol.

In my understanding of Christianity, I view Jesus as a teacher, spreading through word and deed about a way of being and not a god to be worshipped. We'll look at Catholicism as an example. I tease my Episcopalian friends about being rebel Catholics who don't want to follow the rules...because there are a LOT of rules in all religions, especially Catholicism, and because of this, I see many of them as cultish. To clarify, I have an issue paying homage to some big angry Father sitting on a fancied throne ready to strike me down the moment I make a mistake while trying to follow his tight and strict rules. And, if I don't follow said rules, Jesus won't be my friend and I'll not get my place in heaven with the rest of my friends and family and instead my spirit will be left to meander the earth bewailing the injustice of it all...seems like punishment to me, and why carry that ideology around? :D

Now, don't mistake my chippy reply as my renouncing God, because I'll not do that for or to anyone. I believe that there is a presence, a source of life, a feeling of love, if you'll humor me, that is just here, for me, in me, around me. This is in every face I encounter, especially when I make eye contact with the other person; it is in every flower, seashell, tall or short tree, on the wind, in a flame of a campfire, etc.-- insert any other natural object here. It is also in the face of a dying human, a spent leaf from a tree, a barren field in late winter...am I doing ok making my point that it is indeed mysterious?

Where there is consciousness, attention to inspiration, life, love, belief, faith, etc., there is God.

The lists are infinite ... but for me the final answer is, where ever I Am, there too is God, the Source of all that was and ever will be. I'm certian that others find comfort in their own path to what or who they show gratitude to for their life, and if they do not...well I just can't comprehend that ♡