How did you feel when Pluto lost its planethood? | INFJ Forum

How did you feel when Pluto lost its planethood?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
I, for one, was not pleased.

Pluto is a planet dammit! That, or he is Mickey's dog, but he is most certainly a planet in the astronomical sense!

its a lost moon

*says with an Italian accent*
... forget about it...

If there is one thing us as human being should be concerned with, it is without a doubt, the demotion of Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet.

It truly was the most important thing that has and probably will happen in our lifetimes.

Planet! Just because some guys in a room decide to call it a moon does not mean it is not a planet.

I felt sad for Pluto but oh well, he had his day in the sun :)

after so many, many years, i am glad Pluto lost its title... i mean, it is not everyday that something THAT significant ever happens... except maybe only a few hundred years or so...

"When I was a young'n, Pluto was a PLANET!!!"

"oh sure gramps... and you had to walk two miles uphill to school, in the snow?"

I think the astronomers just did it because they were too lazy to discover something significant in their lifetimes. It's like, "Oh why should we bother making monumental discoveries through hard work when we can just rename shit?" :mrgreen:

Inkling said:
"When I was a young'n, Pluto was a PLANET!!!"

"oh sure gramps... and you had to walk two miles uphill to school, in the snow?"

WIN!

Satya said:
I, for one, was not pleased.

Pluto is a planet dammit! That, or he is Mickey's dog, but he is most certainly a planet in the astronomical sense!

I think it was fair, but then I am ruthless in such matters. I have no Fi reserved for the poor little icy dwarf planet. The definition had to be made, or we would have to include a few more planets along with pluto. The creation of the "dwarf planet" category makes for much less controversy.

Duke of York said:
I think it was fair, but then I am ruthless in such matters. I have no Fi reserved for the poor little icy dwarf planet. The definition had to be made, or we would have to include a few more planets along with pluto. The creation of the "dwarf planet" category makes for much less controversy.
I agree. I tried looking up the definition of a planet a long time ago, but it was ambiguous and vague. There is no place in hard science for ambiguous and vague things.

I cried. Poor little pluto. Its a freaking planet.

I'm still pissed. There's no reason we can't have an exception to the rule.

pluto.jpg

Reactions: Satya
I didn't care...I was like "That's life...And that's science...Can't wait to see how people whine about this :bored:."

I didn't care...I was like "That's life...And that's science...Can't wait to see how people whine about this :bored:."

It would be science if there was more than one dwarf planet. But since Pluto is the only one that we know of, its more like an advertisement campaign launched to garner attention toward astronomy.

And that's part of how 'science' has worked over the last 400-years. If anyone honestly thinks science is some field independent of human values they would be sadly mistaken.

I feel completely betrayed by the public education system. DAMN IT! I was taught there were 9 planets and the sun. Now they tell me there aren't 9 planets??? NOW what am I supposed to believe!? What else are they going to retract?

I feel so violated!
*sniffle*

Here's to Pluto....Ex-Planet!
*slurps a beer*

I agree. I tried looking up the definition of a planet a long time ago, but it was ambiguous and vague. There is no place in hard science for ambiguous and vague things.

Couldn't agree more.

oh wonderful. The science argy bargy has come here too. Stop it or i spank everyone involved.

Please do Shai (don't read that the wrong way... I'm not involved :D)

I will kindly ask you to read those books and sources that I mentioned before you post anymore. It'll save us both a lot of time.

Seriously Logan, this is not necessary and your point would be better served without antagonising others.

Last edited: