holy fuck! what have I been doing with my life! (india's entrance exam for engineers) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

holy fuck! what have I been doing with my life! (india's entrance exam for engineers)

[MENTION=5861]Horatio[/MENTION] sounds like you have it all figured out, let me know how that goes for you.

[MENTION=5861]Horatio[/MENTION] sounds like you have it all figured out, let me know how that goes for you.

Horationia: "One Nation of One!" :lol:

It's just rant of suggestions, no need to get sarcastic. I think there's some good starting points in there, such as fixing families.

To get back on topic, I understand OP's frustrations. I guess the best you can do is seek the knowledge on your own if your teachers can't provide it.

Last edited:
Our culture rewards weakness now. We have a bigger heart now as a people, but the price is that we arent as on top as we used to be, and you know what? I am ok with that. I dont want my country using my tax money out there to rule the world, I will accept higher prices and less prestige if being a more moral people is what we choose.

Well, if WWII taught America anything, it's that they can always import talent from elsewhere.
India, for example.

Wow how did this turn into a discussion on politics? Lol you guys.

I do agree that the standards of education should be raised. And the generation today should understand that it's not simply competing with people at home but the entire world, and graduates should be competitive. Critical thinking and reasoning should be taught earlier because they are the foundation for many of the careers in science, math, engineering, and technology. Because these skills are devalued or seen as unnecessary to immediate job opps, the lack of prep reduces the quality of product, service, productivity, and effectiveness.

It's because of No Child Left Behind-- if passing more kids means keeping your job, and failing kids means that the whole school loses money, then that's what you're going to do. Test scores improve because teachers stop teaching/encouraging thought and start teaching the kids how to pass the test, ie: spoonfeeding answers.

You can't simply 'raise the standards' and expect everyone to pass-- for various reasons, kids don't have the same socioeconomic backgrounds, don't have the same family lives, don't have the same support networks... and it's going to have an effect. Seriously, picture yourself s a teacher with this kid who has severe ADHD, whose dad is a heroin addict and mom is dead and you have to get him to the point where he's passing/scoring decently on tests, or else not only you look bad, but your whole school looks bad AND loses money... what are you going to do? Are you going to spend hours and hours of your own time with him, trying to turn his life around, while his own parents refuse to? Are you going to deny the other kids the chance to get help because he needs all of your time and effort? Remember that the other kids also need to pass in order for you to get funding. So yeah, chances are you're going to go for the quick fix and hope that everything sorts itself out in time.

Just one of these kids can seriously bring a whole class down, and set 30 or however many kids back for a whole year, which of course means that when they go on to their next year, they're behind the others, which of course makes them feel stupid compared to others who may not have had one of those kids in their class.

It's not the education system that's broken-- it's society in general. I wouldn't call myself a conservative, but a return to traditional values where parents actually raise their own kids and don't rely on TV/iPhones/the internet to do the job for them is probably the only solution... and yeah, that's just not going to happen. You might notice if you look around that the kids with the best scores/best performance usually have parents who come from cultures/traditions of discipline and strict-but-fair authoritative (not authoritarian) parenting. The problem is that parents nowadays are focused on the instant gratification that comes with giving their kids everything they want as opposed to the long-term gratification of raising productive members of society.

I've worked as a swimming instructor for years and will second [MENTION=5090]Apone[/MENTION] 's assertion that most parents are lazy.

Yeah? you should see how many McDonalds we have here! LMAO! But TBH I dont consider McDonalds American... I mean yeah its an American company and its history is uniquely American, but as a multinational corporation, they dont really play favorites, their goal isnt nationalism, its money. They have shitloads of McDonalds in China too. And had them in Russia too when we were still supposedly bitter enemies. If I want to eat healthy here I have to drive 20 minutes to Trader Joes to get the right organic foods... I can walk to McDonalds from my house we have about 4 of them in my town.

Walking and McDonald's do not belong in the same sentence. HOW DARE YOU! EVERYONE THUMBS DOWN : P.

I suppose I should clarify first, that I am a major of the sciences.

I actually learned a good portion of this in my high school years, some even in middle school.

I am aware that I had one of the "better" education systems of the area. Our motto was always, "Ahead of the Curve".