holy fuck! what have I been doing with my life! (india's entrance exam for engineers) | INFJ Forum

holy fuck! what have I been doing with my life! (india's entrance exam for engineers)

alice144

Community Member
Jun 17, 2011
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
http://www.iitjee.org/iit-question-papers/iit-papers.html

Check out some of the links and be disgusted with yourself.

I was bored in high school and frustrated with my teachers because they wouldn't teach me anything. Now I'm really frustrated with my teachers. I mean, I don't care whether or not you can communicate information, but jesus! at least provide us with a reasonably challenging curriculum!

edit: excuse the angry-rant-drivel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norton
I am a non-science major so I wouldn't even know how to interpret what I'm reading. So, what's wrong with the exams? Why is it stupid and what does this have to do with the American education system since the links you've posted are about India? Clue us in. thx.

This is work that many American students don't do until maybe the second year of college. American engineers compete with Indian engineers. Therefore, American engineers must be as good as Indian engineers.

Maybe that's just a sign of what is becoming more clear. America is a declining power. India is on the way up.

Also, all of that is pure gibberish to me. I'm a humanities kinda guy. ;P

This is work that many American students don't do until maybe the second year of college. American engineers compete with Indian engineers. Therefore, American engineers must be as good as Indian engineers.

I've noticed a trend that the training 'authorities' won't allow people to fail anymore. It's rare that I hear of someone failing a class in college unless they can't pay. People in the military are given 'GOs' and pushed off onto their boss who is supposed to give them extra training during the time they dont have (which never happens obviously). Goals seem kind of mysterious and quality just needs to be good enough.

In elementary and high school I was under the impression that we needed to be able to succeed individually, but now I see we can just be a parasite in a group and someone is *bound* to have an answer to the problem.

Maybe that's just a sign of what is becoming more clear. America is a declining power. India is on the way up.

Our culture rewards weakness now. We have a bigger heart now as a people, but the price is that we arent as on top as we used to be, and you know what? I am ok with that. I dont want my country using my tax money out there to rule the world, I will accept higher prices and less prestige if being a more moral people is what we choose.

Our culture rewards weakness now. We have a bigger heart now as a people, but the price is that we arent as on top as we used to be, and you know what? I am ok with that. I dont want my country using my tax money out there to rule the world, I will accept higher prices and less prestige if being a more moral people is what we choose.

I agree with you but the problems arise when your culture begins to get taken over by whoever replaces your nation as top dog.

You should see how many McDonalds we have here in Britain! :p

I agree with you but the problems arise when your culture begins to get taken over by whoever replaces your nation as top dog.

You should see how many McDonalds we have here in Britain! :p

Yeah? you should see how many McDonalds we have here! LMAO! But TBH I dont consider McDonalds American... I mean yeah its an American company and its history is uniquely American, but as a multinational corporation, they dont really play favorites, their goal isnt nationalism, its money. They have shitloads of McDonalds in China too. And had them in Russia too when we were still supposedly bitter enemies. If I want to eat healthy here I have to drive 20 minutes to Trader Joes to get the right organic foods... I can walk to McDonalds from my house we have about 4 of them in my town.

Yea I see it as a decline in our educational system. The kids of the US suck at basic math/english skills because they have the attention span of gnats and education isn't properly stressed in the home/community/nation like it should be. I grew up watching educational programs at home, being encouraged to read and told to look stuff up when I had questions (which I did).

Edit: Oh yea and this really strong sense of entitlement on a consumer level but no responsibility on a personal level. Whine....but it's not MY fault....
Demand.....I have to have the new Iphone......

My ass got failed in two courses in college. I guess it's not like that everywhere in North America.

Reactions: rawr
My ass got failed in two courses in college. I guess it's not like that everywhere in North America.

You dont live in North America, you live in Canada. Yee haw!

I failed multiple college courses but... I went to a state school. At a private college before that, I was a 4.0 student.

Yeah? you should see how many McDonalds we have here! LMAO! But TBH I dont consider McDonalds American... I mean yeah its an American company and its history is uniquely American, but as a multinational corporation, they dont really play favorites, their goal isnt nationalism, its money. They have shitloads of McDonalds in China too. And had them in Russia too when we were still supposedly bitter enemies. If I want to eat healthy here I have to drive 20 minutes to Trader Joes to get the right organic foods... I can walk to McDonalds from my house we have about 4 of them in my town.

Hahaha! That was a poor choice on my part but it was the first American company to come into my mind!

I eat at McDonalds myself (usually when drunk) and I said that with my tongue firmly in my cheek but like all good jokes there is an element of truth to it. England is not really recognisable anymore. It is partially due to consumerism and the kind of capitalism that allows national and multinational chains to pop up everywhere and that have made every town and city feel exactly the same. Everyone has a shiny shopping centre inside the City Centre which is a big shopping centre itself in the post-industrial age.

Look at these two pictures: One is in Birmingham where I grew up and the other is in Leicester (not far) but where I study.

Interior_of_Bull_Ring,_Birmingham.jpg
Birmingham

Highcross_copyrightCreativityWorks.jpg
Leicester

It's not that these are inherently bad things but they make every town and every city feel the same. It's the same shops, the generic "urban renewal" look that changes that section of the city when one of these new shopping centres open.

Part of me knows that this kind of lifestyle consumerism came from the USA but it doesn't sit right with me. There are people over here who say that the influx of immigrants has destroyed the culture of Britain. I say it is the influx of this kind of consumerism that has made people into zombies and those who see the problem into whingers (haha). We don't have THAT much culture anyway because I feel that Britain has often led the way in new ideas and new styles and this kind of behaviour and the culture that has developed where it is almost impossible to live without participating is killing freethought and is taking over even the smallest local high streets. What used to be streets of small businesses are now chain stores and boarded up windows because small businesses cannot survive. Some say it is the way business works but I think it is a shame because it is killing any individuality these places have.

In the USA you have such an amazing geography that you can get away from it and there is more going on on the landspace if it ever became too much. There is natural variety in your country that simply isn't the case in England. I'm not sure if/how this damage can ever be reversed or if other people will ever really realise it. They know something's wrong but they talk about "small businesses" closing on the news but never seem to see the big picture of what has happened/is happening.

Shit...we've still got morris dancing and paganism, I suppose.

http://www.iitjee.org/iit-question-papers/iit-papers.html

Check out some of the links and be disgusted with yourself.

I was bored in high school and frustrated with my teachers because they wouldn't teach me anything. Now I'm really frustrated with my teachers. I mean, I don't care whether or not you can communicate information, but jesus! at least provide us with a reasonably challenging curriculum!

edit: excuse the angry-rant-drivel.

Yeah, I ask myself that question frequently and tell myself "Holy Fuck, I'm a moron..." on a regular basis.... But hey, at least you're doing something with your life other than getting stoned and playing video games, that's a step in the right direction anyway. Good for you!

Based on my (somewhat limited) interaction with my Indian colleagues (who I like a lot) I get the impression that even getting to the level of having the opportunity to take an entrance exam of this nature is a rarity afforded to few people. I get the impression that here, college degrees of some sort or another are very nearly considered a right -- well, not quite a right, exactly, but, people are very strongly encouraged to attend college, even if they are not from the upper levels of society or blessed with genius IQs, but in India, that is not necessarily the case, not as many people even get to have a high-school level education. (I believe, from what I've heard.)

And for-profit colleges are a scam and a rip-off, in my opinion.

I've talked to Indian friends and colleagues who do the same job I do for a living, and who are probably actually paid half what I make in dollars, but on that salary, are able to afford nannies and maids and stay-at-home spouses. I'm not sure why this is, that they could afford such a lifestyle on a small salary, but they can and they do. These sorts of things are out of my reach. (boo hoo)

I mention this simply to point out it is a very different culture in India, and I believe it to be a somewhat more stratified one, with a larger very poor class who will never even get the opportunity to take those exams. Though I say this without a whole lot of expertise, it is only what I've gathered talking to a few people.

P.S. Oh, yes... and you might be interested to know that my Indian colleagues, about 95% of them are male, whereas in the U.S. it is about 50/50 male/female for my job. Just so you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: alice144

Haha.

No.

I will accept higher prices and less prestige if being a more moral people is what we choose.

We're not being more moral. People just don't want their feelies hurt so everyone's politically correct. :lol:

The problems in America are a cluster-fuck bundle package and can't be fixed with sucking up to people's low self esteem or "spreading wealth" or whatever political jargon is talked about a lot. First, we need to fix the family. Then we need media that doesn't dumb down or set impossibly high bars in people's brains. Then we work on fixing the education system (yeah, good luck with that). Then we need to find alternative energy sources that work - which will take lots more time and resources but if we better educate more people how to do this it may help. (As a side note, I always hear that "we need more math and science majors", but where are these students going to work when they graduate? Building weapons or bullshit technology like smartfone crap that we don't need?) Weapons and war are real life issue still and the government would know more about this than ANY civilian, so who knows what other countries are building besides us that we compete with. At the same time, we should work on national defense but bring back our troops because the wars and occupations we're in are hurting us economically and diplomatically.

We need a second renaissance or some culture boost with new art waves. We need to advance our studies of psychology to better understand how our brains work and develop systems that work with different brain types, psych issues, rehab and therapy, etc. - but because this is such a grey area and newer, crazier (no pun) problems could arise psych doesn't get a lot of love.

Or the easier solutions are a civil war or split the nation up. I vote starting my own nation - who's in? :m030: /rant