[PAX] - Help With Field Study | Spirituality and science | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Help With Field Study | Spirituality and science

Oscillation

Community Member
Feb 22, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Hi guys! It would be nice to get some help from you.

I'm having a field study this comming couple of weeks, and now I need a list of spiritual/religious/superstitious activities and beliefs, that is to say "non-scientific" activities and beliefs (I'm making a studie about physics students approach towards these listed items).

For example it could be

• taroth
    [*]mediums
    [*]prophecies
    [*]prayers
    [*]miricals
    [*]ghoasts
    [*]angles
    [*]demons
    [*]spirits
    [*]destiny
    [*]telephathy
    [*]etc.

List EVERYTHING* you can come up with, but please make sure it is (1) well-structured, (2) in a list format and, if possible, (3) not repeating what has already been listed by others (this last one can be difficult, I know). Oh, and (4) don't make it too specific, but try to make the resulting list as broad as possible, so that my resulting questions cover as much aspects of the topic as possible!

Have I made myself clear? Go, go, go! No time to loose!
Oh, one last thing, just so you don't misinterpret me: I'm doing my part aswell, and I probably could make this all by myself, but as I've found out you're so well educated in these topics I figured you knew more about it then me. That's a compliment!

On behalf of the entire crew - me - Thank you!

*bump* [MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION]
You might give it a kick start!

* (edit) Perhaps not "EVERYTHING"... I'm more interested in getting a broad perspective than a representation of every single activity/belief.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if this short list passes your requirements (esp. being non-specific),
but here's a go:

- auras
- reincarnation
- chants/mantras
- chakras/chi
- channeling
- possession & exorcism
- animal magnetism
- animal whispering

Hmmm….

1. Out of Body Experiences
  2. Near Death Experiences
  3. The “Hard” problem of consciousness - are we conscious?
  4. UFOs
  5. Aliens and alien abductions
  6. Animal Telepathy
  7. Cryptozoology
  8. Crop Circles
  9. Ley Lines
  10. Stonehenge
  11. ESP
  12. Precognition or Premonitions awake or as a dream
  13. Deja Vu
  14. Jamais Vu
  15. Presque Vu
  16. Deja Entendu
  17. Collective Consciousness
  18. Lucid Dreaming
  19. Sleep Paralysis
  20. Shadow People and the Hat Man
  21. Orbs
  22. Crystals (having certain attributed powers)
  23. Samadhi
  24. Higher self
  25. Guardian angel
  26. Empathic abilities
  27. Remote Viewing
  28. Sun and Earth having consciousness
  29. Universe having consciousness
  30. Psychic Vampires
  31. Superstitions
  32. Moon as a spaceship theory
  33. Electric Universe theory
  34. Healing (by non-western medical means)

I’ll write more as I think of them!

Last edited:
Okej, okej! So I realize this is gonna get though for me to know what you all are talking about without Google it all, wich will take alot of time. So let us also (5) categorize them along the way. Group them together acording to category and undercategory, that is if you for example need to believe in demons to believe in exorcism, then exorcism is a undercategory for demons - get the idea?

The goal is to get an picture of what different areas of spiritual/religious beliefs (etc.) there is, so that I can make a questionnaire that take no longer than 10 minutes to answer. To group things together would help, but I'm still interested in the undercategories aswell.

I hope I'm not being to demanding.

Feel free to edit the categories for the better

Time/Future
Precognition or Premonitions awake or as a dream
taroth
destiny
Deja Vu
Jamais Vu
Presque Vu
Deja Entendu

Communication with other beings
mediums
prophecies
telephathy
animal whispering
Animal Telepathy

Entities/beings
ghoasts
angles (Guardian angel)
demons
possession & exorcism
spirits
Aliens (Alien abductions; UFOs; Crop Circles)

Life after death
reincarnation
Out of Body Experiences
Near Death Experiences

Consciousness
The “Hard” problem of consciousness - are we conscious?
Collective Consciousness
Sun and Earth having consciousness
Universe having consciousness

Physical and mental health care
Healing (by non-western medical means

Uncategorized...
prayers
miracles
auras
chants/mantras
chakras/chi
channeling
animal magnetism
Cryptozoology
Ley Lines
Stonehenge
ESP
Lucid Dreaming
Sleep Paralysis
Shadow People and the Hat Man
Orbs
Crystals (having certain attributed powers)
Samadhi
Higher self
Empathic abilities
Remote Viewing
Psychic Vampires
Superstitions
Moon as a spaceship theory
Electric Universe theory

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] [MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] I tag you since you've already participated. Perhaps you have a better understanding in how to categorize these?

Hi guys! It would be nice to get some help from you.

I'm having a field study this comming couple of weeks, and now I need a list of spiritual/religious/superstitious activities and beliefs, that is to say "non-scientific" activities and beliefs (I'm making a studie about physics students approach towards these listed items).

For example it could be

• taroth
    [*]mediums
    [*]prophecies
    [*]prayers
    [*]miricals
    [*]ghoasts
    [*]angles
    [*]demons
    [*]spirits
    [*]destiny
    [*]telephathy
    [*]etc.

List EVERYTHING you can come up with, but please make sure it is (1) well-structured, (2) in a list format and, if possible, (3) not repeating what has already been listed by others (this last one can be difficult, I know). Oh, and (4) don't make it too specific, but try to make the resulting list as broad as possible, so that my resulting questions cover as much aspects of the topic as possible!

Have I made myself clear? Go, go, go! No time to loose!
Oh, one last thing, just so you don't misinterpret me: I'm doing my part aswell, and I probably could make this all by myself, but as I've found out you're so well educated in these topics I figured you knew more about it then me. That's a compliment!

On behalf of the entire crew - me - Thank you!

*bump* [MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION]
You might give it a kick start!

Sooooo..... do your work for you?

Categorizing some of these is rather difficult as
one may fall on 2 or more different categories...
For example, ESP can be under both Future and Communication,
Out of Body Experiences can also fall under Consciousness.

Let's see...what if you merge Entities with Communication?
Then add a Higher Power category instead.
Also, instead of Life After Death, what about Other Dimensions?

There are many ideas that can be merged as well...
Maybe I could try to modify your grouping a bit,
but it might take a while.

(I also have no idea about some in Skarekrow's list though.)

Categorizing some of these is rather difficult as
one may fall on 2 or more different categories...
For example, ESP can be under both Future and Communication,
Out of Body Experiences can also fall under Consciousness.

Let's see...what if you merge Entities with Communication?
Then add a Higher Power category instead.
Also, instead of Life After Death, what about Other Dimensions?

There are many ideas that can be merged as well...
Maybe I could try to modify your grouping a bit,
but it might take a while.

(I also have no idea about some in Skarekrow's list though.)

Go for it!

This might help me in my field study, but it sure is educating aswell. So I hope you're not finding this tedious (if so, feel free to leave it be). :m161:

Speaking about "beings": there are not only these "transcendental" ones, but more material-ish aswell. Aliens should count as one of them, but think about Lochness, Yeti, Santa, vampires, warewolfs, etc. These aren't (what I'm awere of) creatures of non-materialism, like ghosts, spirits, and alike, but rather beings that take theirs form in materia. I guess there would be some beings that would be both material and non-material - acording to beliefs - but I think it would be correct to distinguish between these two categories. I haven't come up with a good name though.

Material beings and transcendental beings? I don't know... It doesn't feel right, and people don't know what transcendental means anyway. Any suggestions?

So one categorization would be to first list "creatures" as taking part of this material world or not, and another would be if we are, and in that case how, able to connect with these "creatures" at any point: through meditation, telepathy, prayer, taroth, etc. Some of these will fall under several categories, I know, but the prio uno is to find these good categories. The items filling them are of a second priority, even though my focus may have been on them in the first place. They are of importance just to find these categories, and to know what the categories mean (if we don't fill in the categories with items, then we might aswell talk about 'air' and 'nothingness').

So I argue "beings" are one, with two subcategories acording to the beings presence in the material world, and a second category about how we are able to mentally/spiritually/etc. connect with these beings - or other beings, for that matter: animals, humans, etc.

Thirdly I propose consciousness is part of both the category of "beings" and "communication". You could include consciousness of moon, sun, universe, earth, and so on, within the category of "beings". I recon the lable of this category should be more suitable though. On the other hand you could exclude the lable and work with the individual items alone, just grouping them together to show what we're talking about.

"Beings" or "creatures" will be their code name, for now.

Cryptozoology
Okey, so I just realized this is about Yeti, Loch Ness, Big Foot, and all the other creatures in folklore that have yet to be discovered by science. Good! It's a category then! (I would include UFO/alien in this one, even though it's probably wrong and I'm making a fool of myself).

Also Ouija or Spirit boards
Scrying mirrors
Electronic Voice Phenomenon

Practicing magic (this could encompass many aspects of what that entails)
Fairies
Elemental spirits

Water divining
Rune stones
Pendulums

Sigils
Hollow earth theory
Bermuda Triangle
Area 51
Death bed visitations
Poltergeists (as a manifestation of PSI activity)
Theory of consciousness spread out over multiple time-lines

Rashomon Effect (as a means of creating reality)
Alchemy
Psychedelics as “Enthogens”
Placebo effect
Sacred geometry

That was a new one: places! We also have

Atlantis
City of Gold

Oh there are many places!
Heaven
Hell
Higher dimensions
Alternate Universes
Fountain of Youth

Voo-doo
Ancient Alien theory
Past Life Regressions
Power of Group Prayer/Meditation
Levitation
Stone Record Theory

Tantric experiences
Ecstatic Dance
Candles/incense (as having power)
Hypnosis

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]

You don't happen to have any suggestions on how to categorize these? If I'm gonna make a 10-min-questionnaire I'm not able to include every single one of them by name.
I might have underestimated your ability when asking for "EVERYTHING"...

(Now I adress the rest of you too: ) All I want to do is to ask students whether they believe/engage in any belief/activity that doesn't fit the scientific world view that gets presentet throughout their education in physics. If so, I'm gonna take a closer look at how their teacher responds to it, what his thoughts on it might be, and so on. There is a lot of interesting aspects you could look at!

But for this I have to make a questionnaire that includes all areas. Not all activities in general, there's just to many of them, but enough to cover a broader view of what is non-scientific behaviour, so that the tests gives results even though you're not, lets say, religious: even though you're not engaging in religious activities you might believe in fate, for example.

Anyhow! I can't stress this enough: you're in this for the fun of helping me out, and whenever it stops being fun, you just go ahead and make yourself a cake or something. I appreciate all the help!