Help the living or the dead? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Help the living or the dead?

Which job is more stable? I would take \ stay with the one that has the least chance of going away.
Probably the morgue...I am kinda disappointed with the way the hospital I work at has been going ever since they went from a private hospital to one bought out by a huge conglomerate. They used to actually give a shit about the employees there, but now it’s all about the bottom line....very sad.
At least assisting with autopsies I will work for the county and have better benefits and a union behind me.

Probably the morgue...I am kinda disappointed with the way the hospital I work at has been going ever since they went from a private hospital to one bought out by a huge conglomerate. They used to actually give a shit about the employees there, but now it’s all about the bottom line....very sad.
At least assisting with autopsies I will work for the county and have better benefits and a union behind me.

I used to think that stability was a huge factor for me and it still is. Working where I am working now though, sanity in general is going to have to go to the top of my list. I never thought work environments could be so drastically different. Life experience tells me that if you currently have a job and have a choice of taking a new one when you dont HAVE to, research and make sure its either better or that you can live with it.

Good luck either way.

Reactions: Skarekrow
The fact you find this morbid and sad, and the fact your current job makes you ill, i'd say find a different job. Maybe a part time doctor somewhere? Or a job that lets you sit down?

The arthritis will probably only get worse as you get older, so it might be worth grabbing the body examiner job while you have the opportunity. You'll probably spend a lot of time reflecting of death, but that might be positive in the long run.

Tough call. Personally, I detest having to make decisions in my life based on my arthritis. However, that doesn't mean that I don't have to do just that at times. I can see the job in the morgue being a good fit, at least in terms of those days you are not at your best. Being able to sit down for a few moments won't be such a hassle within a morgue, like it would be during surgery. I think that sometimes you have to decide what is best for you and worry about everyone else second. In many ways, when you take care of yourself, you ARE taking care of everybody else because you are better at what you are doing. I see that you already made the decision to go for it, and I wish you luck. I sympathize with you. Having arthritis has changed my life in ways I couldn't imagine. Sometimes it is hard to find that line between "pain I can stand" and "wtf am I doing"....lol. I know I haven't found that happy medium and I don't have a job that requires me to stand for long periods of time. It sucks to be part of the club, but if you need someone, I'm mostly here (on the forum)...lol :)

Tough call. Personally, I detest having to make decisions in my life based on my arthritis. However, that doesn't mean that I don't have to do just that at times. I can see the job in the morgue being a good fit, at least in terms of those days you are not at your best. Being able to sit down for a few moments won't be such a hassle within a morgue, like it would be during surgery. I think that sometimes you have to decide what is best for you and worry about everyone else second. In many ways, when you take care of yourself, you ARE taking care of everybody else because you are better at what you are doing. I see that you already made the decision to go for it, and I wish you luck. I sympathize with you. Having arthritis has changed my life in ways I couldn't imagine. Sometimes it is hard to find that line between "pain I can stand" and "wtf am I doing"....lol. I know I haven't found that happy medium and I don't have a job that requires me to stand for long periods of time. It sucks to be part of the club, but if you need someone, I'm mostly here (on the forum)...lol :)

It seems that in a morgue, the needs of the living workers can more easily take priority over the one on the table - when compared to surgery.

Hopefully this will be an accommodating work environment.

@Skarecrow, I think you're a single dad, right?

Well then, work hours is also an important factor. The dead can wait until normal day hours, they're tough and patient audience.