Have you ever been able to make any practical use of the MBTI theory? | INFJ Forum

Have you ever been able to make any practical use of the MBTI theory?

If yes, can you give an example?

Sure, but I guess it depends on what you mean by "practical". I feel I've benefited from knowing my type because there are so many harmful things I unconsciously do, especially in working with other people. I guess one specific example would be my senseless pursuit of perfection for myself and those near me. I think I've done it all my life, and maybe there's no real harm in holding myself to a certain standard, but holding those close to me to it isn't fair, and it has caused problems in my relationships with other people most of my life.

It's an unconscious thing, and a thing I really need an external source to inform me of and remind me of so I can try to prevent it from affecting my interactions with other people.

Another example is over analyzing, something that is very tricky, especially at my job. I know I do it, and I'm not entirely sure how to avoid it even now, but the structure of thinking about these things in terms of an attribute stack and my weaknesses and strengths and things I need to develop seems to help me. Either that, or it just allows me to over indulge my over analysis...

Recently I used it to determine who my new assistant was going to be. I have had an introvert (mostly likely infjp) working with me off an on part time-ish for almost 2 years. I love her to pieces - but 2 introverts in this one little agency doesn't get the job done efficiently. So I finally made the choice to pick an extrovert when the new fiscal year began for the part time position. Being an INFJ I know how beneficial an "E" type can be. I'm guessing she's an "ENFJ" as she demonstrates many of the characteristics and they overlap nicely with my type. :)

It has certainly helped me find interests and activities that I believe I would have the endurance to stick with. It has also helped me understand to an extent why certain activities and people may start draining my inner reserves.

If yes, can you give an example?

Its served me as a talking point, people create forums around it and I've been able to visit them and post.

It's helped give me a better sense of identity. I always thought I was weird (and I am) and the INFJ description fits me pretty nicely. It helps change my view from "I'm a freak." to "I'm unique." It cheers me up tbh.
That said, I don't base any serious decisions on it. I'd never base relationship or career decisions on mine or anyone else's mbti type. It's something I use to make myself feel better and understand myself and others better not a rule I live by.

I find I turn to MBTI/Socionics in times when I feel.. "Lost." It's easy to abuse it when you've hit a point in your life where you have no direction. It's easier to have the theory simplify things for you and tell what what type of careers you should pursue and what activities you'd most likely enjoy. So in a way, I guess it has somewhat helpful in that aspect.

MBTI/Socionics has also allowed me to become a lot more open-minded and understanding of others and why they act the way they do. Which as a result has aided me into becoming a more forgiving and compassionate person.

I do sometimes get a bit carried away with the labelling and should limit that, as my understanding of the theory is not quite strong.

Overall, it's been pretty useful. The pros outweigh the cons.

Last edited:
Yes-
It makes it easier to manipulate myself into accomplishing or letting go of what I had thought of as serious faults

Now that I have a cognitive and detailed reasoning behind why I do not understand or immediately have conflict with certain individuals, I don't analyse it the way I used to. To speak plainly I don't feel as insane with the knowledge and foresight I have now.

I have used my understanding of the functions to word things in such a way or behave in such a way that jives well with people who use those functions, which has allowed me to communicate and to work with those people more efficiently. I also use it as a way to predict what others will be motivated by or take interest in. I also use it as a way to remind myself to be more patient and tolerant with people when they frustrate or confuse me, and it gives me ideas on how to work around these kinds of circumstances.

I've also been able to gain from it an awareness of my weaknesses of giving in to the opinions of others too easily and of never having had enough confidence developed to be able to take charge of my own life. Since then I've developed a lot of direction, and faith and respect in myself.

Helped me move out of victim and frail mentality. When there is so little infjs in the real world and no one to really bond with on a deeper level; mbti gives a framework to accept our delicate natures in a world of extraverted behaviors. Instead of feeling sorry for one self and becoming more isolated; mbti gave me confidence to accept my nature i once thought of as abnormal.

no.

Yeah, for sure. I discovered a lot about myself indirectly by being here so much.

Otherwise, I am more forgiving of myself for turning some potentially awesome traits into handicaps by disassociating myself from them for too long.

Before they were just deficiencies in moral character. To an extent they still are but at least I'm scrambling out of a pit that joins smoothly to a mound.

Yes. Personal discovery. Understanding others. I understand how some methods works, how some don't for me.

Also negotiating, compromising, communicating, manipulating, confronting others in the way they would prefer.

Also it helps if you are a writer and you are trying to build characters, in an archetypal way.

Yes, but socionics is more useful. Now I know that it isn't that my brother hates me, it is that me speaking to him = gdshjsgdjkdfhlsgg, which leads to frustration.

Helped me in a big way in learning to communicate with my family who are mostly sensory types. I used to get frustrated with them when they didn't understand things that i thought was so intuitive. Thinking that they were playing dumb or actually dumb but nope just different learning styles and ways of communicating

Yes, personally and professionally. I was in an interview with a large communications and technology company for a financial analyst position last week and the managers I was interviewing with made the following comments.

Manger 1: “He is definitely a J”
Manger 2: (Laughing) “We all are J’s”

My dad is a senior director of a company’s IT department and he uses personality theory (not necessarily MBTI) in his hiring process. In his years of experience he has learned that he gets along well with certain types. He typically wants to hire these types if they are going to report directly to him. He doesn’t want to hire people who are going to conflict with him on a personal level because he has noticed it takes away from work. However, he then wants those reporting to him to hire those that he might have conflict with to make sure that there are people who have a different perspective than him. He just doesn’t want them directly reporting to him or dealing with them personally. It makes it so things get a thorough look through and get different ideas or views. It works, not every time but for the most part.

Personally, it’s helped in my family. My dad tests as INTJ or ISTJ. My mom is difficult because she has some personality disorders so she is all over the map. Pathological liar, narcissist, co-dependent and emotionally all over the map. So can’t really type her. My younger brother tests INTJ but he also was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome and most people in my family test within the autism spectrum, including myself. So there is that.

However, knowing a bit about the personality types of my family has allowed me to understand and communicate with them better. My little sister (ESFJ) needs a lot more verbal confirmation. Just letting her know that I love her and appreciate her in my life. My younger brother doesn’t want to hear it, he wants to see it. My dad doesn’t care what we do or say just as long as we don’t bother him with our problems and are self-sufficient. He wants the best for us and gives great advice as well as help but you have to earn it. He isn’t going to pave the way in gold. He expects you to work your ass off for it. My other little sister is (ENTP) wants to be left alone for the most part but be acknowledged for her unique perspective on life.

You get the point, I could go on and on about other siblings but it does help with certain things. It makes me question my own motivations and reasons as well as acknowledge the perspectives of others. In short, it helps in getting a general idea of how someone works but each person is still unique. It just points you in the right direction as far as understanding them.

i will proudly say that the information that i have learned about mbti, personality types and my own being has had no practical use whatsoever. it's fantastic that not everything can be measured and weighed, but can just be important for the individual for wholly different reasons.

It made me think about the way people communicate. From then onward, I learned.