Grad school experiences | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Grad school experiences

Very soon.

Great...subjective. Soon can mean tomorrow or it could mean years from now. ...depends on who you are, I suppose. Lol.
I enjoy the mystery, Pin. You are the most perplexing enigma I've encountered as of late.

Great...subjective. Soon can mean tomorrow or it could mean years from now. ...depends on who you are, I suppose. Lol.
I enjoy the mystery, Pin. You are the most perplexing enigma I've encountered as of late.
You have no idea just how boring I am.

You have no idea just how boring I am.

I wish I had a good response to this. I've got nothing, man.

You express great concerns for your education. I don't perceive this as a trait a "boring" person would possess.

Reactions: Gaze, Pin and Will
I wish I had a good response to this. I've got nothing, man.

You express great concerns for your education. I don't perceive this as a trait a "boring" person would possess.
Thank-you, it's all part of a master plan.

Thank-you, it's all part of a master plan.

To the person reading this :wink:: is this the meaning of having an "agenda?" ...you know who you are.
This shit is confusing. Haha.

Reactions: Wyote, Will and Pin
To the person reading this :wink:: is this the meaning of having an "agenda?" ...you know who you are.
This shit is confusing. Haha.

Lolol

Reactions: BritNi and Will
I finish my undergrad, BS Psych, this June.
I wish to enter grad school almost immediately. I am going to take a semester off, though. The last few years have been rough and I deserve a break. I've put my career and education off for far too long, though. But... I know I'm going to be an outstanding counselor. ♡♡♡

What do you hope to get from the experience?

At this point, I'm primarily focused on obtaining licensure. I just want to ensure I know all of which is necessary to pass the assessment for certification as I have no doubt I'll perform well as a therapist/counselor once I am allowed to practice independently.

I also wish I were more articulate. I wish to enhance my vocabulary. I wish for my speaking and writing skills to improve.

No joke, everyone: I am highly intelligent compared to most people in my demographic. I have been surrounded by people who are poorly educated. I haven't had much opportunity to enhance my grammar or apply my education in conversational context, because no one around me can follow. So, I come to this forum, and I feel like the "stupid" person, now. Lol. I'm taking the best from it though. I'm fortunate to be in the presence of highly educated and proper speaking people within the forum. I'm happy to have the opportunity to grow and I honestly look up to you!

What are you expectations?
I expect to be given the proper resources and support during my studies to ensure I pass the exam for licensure.

What are looking forward to the most?
As an undergrad, I've most enjoyed the opportunity to build rapports with the instructors who I hold in high esteem. A few instructors and I share a mutual level of respect and admiration for each other. I respect them beyond explanation. They've seemingly become lifelong friends and mentors. I know I can reach out to them when the need arises. It's these types of relationships which in look forward to most as I enter my Master's program. *On a side note, the director of psychology at my school (a highly respected Doctor and amazing, compassionate human being) is also INFJ (and a Virgo... *giggle). He has been an amazing influence and support in my life. He's probably the first person who saw me for my potential and encouraged me on the way. Because of him, I will also have the opportunity to teach.

What challenges do you foresee, and how do you hope to handle them?
I have so much anxiety about the residency process. It seems that I'm going to have to travel to participate and also stay for a designated amount of time. I don't even know what a residency entails. I have so many unaddressed questions concerning this. It's oftentimes discouraging, and at times, I have second guessed whether I should continue my education because of it.

Edit: Do you think each personality type is different in the experiences or what they are seeking from grad school?
I am rather ignorant in terms of MBTI and cognitive functions at this time. I have much to learn, so it's difficult for me to answer this. I do think that the more extroverted personalities are more likely to seek relationships which expedite their social climbing experience. ...that sounds bad. It's nothing personal, and I can explain further if anyone asks. But, I sometimes wish the Es would shut up about their personal lives during class and let me fucking learn. Heh. ...I digress. Anyhow...onward.

Oh! I did notice a trend in the instructors which had the most influence on me. Oddly enough, they all were INFx. Can you believe it? ;)

Are there are some aspects of graduate education that are easier or harder for various types?
I believe that INxx (maybe... one of the experts can interject if I'm wrong) often know their material very well. But once they are being watched, the Hawthorne effect takes its toll. While others may enhance their performance so to look better, we INFJs are likely to decrease in performance. We do amazing when no one is watching, but as soon as eyes are there, we buckle under pressure. We are perfectionists and fear criticism. Although we are great at what we do, we get stuck in our heads and it affects us negatively.

Last edited:
@BritNi you are way more articulate than you realise. You're level of even clarity when communicating is unparalleled. You'll learn how to speak like a counselor, but outside of that context you're pretty solid already. People learn the language of their field but using it outside of that arena often just creates more confusion.

Reactions: Gaze and BritNi
@BritNi you are way more articulate than you realise. You're level of even clarity when communicating is unparalleled. You'll learn how to speak like a counselor, but outside of that context you're pretty solid already. People learn the language of their field but using it outside of that arena often just creates more confusion.

Thank you, Wyote. That was very clear. I believe you, and I'll stop being so hard on myself.

*Wipes hands clean* lol

giphy.gif

Reactions: Gaze and Wyote
I'm quitting my waiter job soon because I need a real break.
Congrats young sir. ...if you need a break, then take it. You have to take care of yourself.

Good luck!

Reactions: Pin, Wyote and Will