Grad school experiences | INFJ Forum

Grad school experiences

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How's your grad school experience - positive, negative, neutral? What do or did you like or enjoy the most, and what do or did you like the least? What do you think graduate education gets wrong today that you would change if you were in charge of grad education tomorrow? What were the top lessons about academia, people, or the world did you learn along the way?

If you're not in grad school but hope to be some day, what do you hope to get from the experience? What are you expectations? What are looking forward to the most? What challenges do you foresee, and how do you hope to handle them?

Edit: Do you think each personality type is different in the experiences or what they are seeking from grad school? Are there are some aspects of graduate education that are easier or harder for various types?

Last edited:
Pray I get in.

*fingers crossed*

What do you hope to get from the experience? What are you expectations? What are looking forward to the most? What challenges do you foresee, and how do you hope to handle them?

*fingers crossed*

What do you hope to get from the experience?
Honestly, a much better education.

What are you expectations?
I expect a great challenge, as soon as it starts I'll be posting a lot less.

What are looking forward to the most?
Overcoming the obstacles in my way, whatever they may be.

What challenges do you foresee, and how do you hope to handle them?
A much higher courseload than undergrad. I'm going to have to schedule my time a lot more efficiently.

Never got into it after graduating with a BBA.

In my university there is a rigorous selection process of testing, class credits, interviews, and some good references.

Generally, from what what others have told me is that the assignments are much more challenging and more in depth with your career field. For example, in accounting you can go into something specific such as tax or audit. Where you would focus on laws, codes, and follow real world examples.

In addition, there are different types of course schedules that you can choose from if your school has them. There are options on what my school calls “flex” in which you attend a certain number of courses in one semester during the morning or evening. This allows you to work on your own pace especially if you’re working.

Of course once you pass all classes. You’ll be in the land of sweet bliss :)

One more thing I like to add is if you are interested in entering grad school. Check out if there are any scholarships available. They help a ton when paying for those $$$ books. I mean that’s just free money sitting there with a nice bow on it

Grad school, like all school, is amazing

Cherish it

My experience was working full time and starting when I had a one year old baby. It was crazy but awesome. I busted my ass and challenged professors in every class. Yeah, I was that guy. I’d stay in the library until the wee hours of the morning and sometimes sleep there. I generally was domineering in group work. People didn’t like it at first but really liked me afterwards and respected the hell out of me

My brain was going 1000 mph at all times during it, and I had a hard time turning it off at times. Close to burnout a few times

School is really an INTPs dream come true so yeah

Never leave if you can

My only goal with grad school was to do well enough that it would open doors to more education if I wanted to pursue it at another point

Hit it hard early and by the middle of it you’ll have figured it out and can put it in cruise control

Make sure to connect with professors. I found that more beneficial than connecting with students. Grab those recommendations as they’re super valuable

Wait until the end of the semester and add all your new contacts on LinkedIn

Reactions: Gaze and neko
Just added these questions: Do you think each personality type is different in the experiences or what they are seeking from grad school? Are there are some aspects of graduate education that are easier or harder for some types?

Reactions: ClevelandINTP
There are potential differences in motivations. Some types are more material and or professionally ambitious. Some types are more inclined to enjoy the experience and learn for the sake of learning. Some types are more likely to continue in academia

———————————————

Some people are just better equipped for the education system. I think Te dominants do better naturally (with less effort per se not that they can’t be outperformed)

Experience matters a lot, too

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
There are potential differences in motivations. Some types are more material and or professionally ambitious. Some types are more inclined to enjoy the experience and learn for the sake of learning. Some types are more likely to continue in academia

———————————————

Some people are just better equipped for the education system. I think Te dominants do better naturally

Experience matters a lot, too

Do you think this also depends on the area you are studying? Whether it's arts or sciences?

Reactions: ClevelandINTP
How's your grad school experience - positive, negative, neutral? What do or did you like or enjoy the most, and what do or did you like the least? What do you think graduate education gets wrong today that you would change if you were in charge of grad education tomorrow? What were the top lessons about academia, people, or the world did you learn along the way?

If you're not in grad school but hope to be some day, what do you hope to get from the experience? What are you expectations? What are looking forward to the most? What challenges do you foresee, and how do you hope to handle them?

Edit: Do you think each personality type is different in the experiences or what they are seeking from grad school? Are there are some aspects of graduate education that are easier or harder for various types?

The positives: I had the opportunity to be a full-time student again. I missed that. It had been 10 years since I had finished undergrad. My cohort was a mixed group both culturally and age-wise, which was great. There were people who were as young as early twenties, and as old as late 60's. Our cohort was fairly small, and that meant that getting to know each other was unavoidable. That was good (except when personalities clashed, and there was nowhere to hide).

The negatives: 1) I learned that the evolution of the internet has utterly destroyed my attention span. In undergrad I could churn out multi-page papers in the course of a few hours, sometimes even while stoned. In grad school I could sometimes take 2 hours to complete a single paragraph because I was neurotically looking up useless information online (including browsing INFJs: "DID I GET ANY NEW REPS????") every 30 seconds. 2) My department didn't seem to know what it collectively wanted in its graduates, and it showed. On an individual level, most instructors were great, but none of the classes seemed to tie together with any of the other ones. 3) Unless pursuing a role in academia, the most useful experience in my field comes from year-long field internships which can be important for future job prospects. The two internships I happened to choose unfortunately did not seem prepared to utilize interns, and thus I spent a lot of time not getting hands-on experience, which was embarrassingly apparent during my first post-grad job interviews.

What it gets wrong: I think that depending upon where you go and what you study, grad education can unfortunately just be a place to buy yourself the right to seek higher paying jobs by going into debt with student loans. I felt that most of the lessons I drew from it were social, derived not from the material, but from dealing with such a wide breadth of people day in, day out, for a couple of years.

I'm sure that each personality type gets different things out of such an experience. I really valued social connections, and fed a lot on having positive interactions with the people around me. As I got to know everyone better, I really came out of my introvert shell towards the end of the program, to the surprise of a lot of people. That probably played a lot into what I drew from the experience.

Reactions: Gaze and Wyote
Mostly positive. I did find it hard to be employed immediately after because I was overeducated and under experienced. It took me 5 years to get into a position that finally utilized my masters and about another year to pay off the debt (6 total).

I would do it again. I enjoyed going back and it's opened doors for me eventually

Note, I will be discussing my first post grad program (a business related masters program) and not my current program.

How's your grad school experience - positive, negative, neutral?

It was positive in that the professors really helped me out. They helped me find a couple of paid internships and get in state tuition even though I was out of state. I won awards for best paper and academic achievement (top 3 highest GPA).

It was negative in that my weekends were entirely devoted to statistics, financial, and budget analysis projects. I had more reading than I could possibly do. Also, unlike undergrad, I did not make any friends in grad school whatsoever. The guy I was closest to wrote me a letter where he explicitly called me a friendly acquaintance.

What do or did you like or enjoy the most, and what do or did you like the least?

Strangely enough, I enjoyed the quantitative stuff more. It was kind of cool to see the tools in action once I had the hang of them and to do everything logically, which is perhaps why I am studying accounting now. I really disliked listening to one of the professors (who was my thesis adviser) ramble on and on about stuff. He would also get pretty upset when people did poorly, which was often, and I find that sort of thing difficult to deal with.

What do you think graduate education gets wrong today that you would change if you were in charge of grad education tomorrow?

I am not in and haven't done one, but Ph.D. programs probably need to be overhauled, as do law schools. There are too many issues to list. In my program, I would probably make changes to the curriculum, get rid of the management science course and replace it with an accounting course as mandatory.

What were the top lessons about academia, people, or the world did you learn along the way?

The "real world" is very similar to school in a program like that, but everyone out in the "real world" does not think so. The most important thing is having work experience and good references.

What are you expectations?

I gave up on finding a job in the field I studied. Some of the people I went to school with have good jobs in the field, but I am not one of them. I've taken a different direction and am wondering if I wasted two years of my life.

What are looking forward to the most?

Nothing at this point. Nothing has come of the work I did so far.

What challenges do you foresee, and how do you hope to handle them?

Discrimination is the biggest challenge, especially if I were to go back to Texas (which I hopefully never will). Baby boomers are still in charge and still cannot tolerate people like me. Plus, all my relevant work experience and references are no good at this point.

Do you think each personality type is different in the experiences or what they are seeking from grad school?

Yes. They actually told us in my program that ISTJs are best for what I studied, but I did well anyway. I do think certain types are suited better to different programs (for instance, there are probably lots of NT types in the sciences).

Are there are some aspects of graduate education that are easier or harder for various types?

I think so. If you are extroverted, it might be tough isolating yourself in your room to study nonstop. Though on the flip side, being introverted makes it more difficult to network. It all depends heavily on the program in question.

Honestly, a much better education.

I expect a great challenge, as soon as it starts I'll be posting a lot less.

Overcoming the obstacles in my way, whatever they may be.

A much higher courseload than undergrad. I'm going to have to schedule my time a lot more efficiently.

What is your area of study, Pin?

Reactions: Will
One more thing I like to add is if you are interested in entering grad school. Check out if there are any scholarships available. They help a ton when paying for those $$$ books. I mean that’s just free money sitting there with a nice bow on it

I've always erred on the side of applying for scholarships. I'm never sure where to begin. Any suggestions or resources?

Reactions: Will
Wow.
I'm surrounded by smart people, here.
Good luck, and good for you! When will you know whether you've been accepted or not?

Reactions: Will, neko and Pin