Gilbert and Sullivan? | INFJ Forum

Gilbert and Sullivan?

Never.......well hardly ever! Didn't they write "Grease?" ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: perpetual_liar
I always think of musicals written by Rogers and Hammerstein when I try to think of any Gilbert and Sullivan.

Pirates of Penzance, HMS Pinnafore were G&S, I think.

I have been meaning to get a heap of musicals from last century on DVD.

Edit: make that, I want to get musicals from the last two centuries - HMS Pinnafore was written in the 1800's.

Last edited:
HMS Pinafore is my favourite at the moment.

By the way, I am in no way a purist, and I am ever so slightly obsessed with the Essgee productions of Pinafore, Mikado and Pirates.

I LOVE Gilbert and Sullivan! They wrote some of my favorite operettas, most of which have been mentioned (Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado, and H.M.S Pinafore). However, I'd like to suggest The Sorcerer and Iolanthe to anyone who hasn't heard them. They are quite wonderful. Though, Nothing really hits home to me quite like "Poor Wand'ring One" from Pirates. I have always wanted to add it to my rep. I may work on that. Thanks for reminding me :D.

They rock. They started what is now considered modern theater. HMS Pinafore, Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado.......pretty epic.

Questingpoet, did you adjust your reply to appeal to my HMS Pinafore-esque taste?

Here's a How De Do, With Cat Like Tread, The World Is But A Broken Toy, and a British Tar are probably my current favourites.

Questingpoet, did you adjust your reply to appeal to my HMS Pinafore-esque taste?

Here's a How De Do, With Cat Like Tread, The World Is But A Broken Toy, and a British Tar are probably my current favourites.

Perhaps I did *whistles and kicks the dirt*. I thought it up right after my OP. I love HMS Pinafore. We did this in Junior High School. I was not in it, but so wanted to be. I was much more of an "I" back then. My brother had a staring role and I remember all the songs quite well from it--especially the one I quoted.

South Pacific anyone? :mhula:

I always loved the "modern major general" song.

I think I like the take-offs of G&S better than the actual productions...my first intro to the Mikado was when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old, when I saw the movie "Foul Play". I was with my Mom, but the epic final chase/epic ending all centered around the Mikado. That was when I first heard of them, I s'pose.

I also loved the Simpson's version of Pirates of Penzance's "Modern Major General" with Sideshow Bob. :D

yup

I haven't yet seen South Pacific.

I do know a couple of the songs though.
MGM musicals are great.

I once saw a parrot that sang "Bali Hai." :D

I laughed my butt off. Especially since parrots don't exactly have lips to pronounce all the consonants. Sounded more like "-Ali I" ;)

((ETA: Pssst! G&S didn't write South Pacific; Rodgers & Hammerstein did. but you probably knew that! :D))

I laughed my butt off. Especially since parrots don't exactly have lips to pronounce all the consonants. Sounded more like "-Ali I" ;)

((ETA: Pssst! G&S didn't write South Pacific; Rodgers & Hammerstein did. but you probably knew that! :D))

I knew that. I just put it in there with the other musicals that hold a special place in my heart like "Grease" and "The Music Man"!

By the way, Pacific starts with P and that rhymes with T, and that spells Trouble!