Geocities Shutting Down

Naxx

Permanent Fixture
Sep 4, 2008
MBTI
ESTP
Enneagram
9w0
I remember the days of 56k, Geocities was quite a fun way to create websites. My geocities page was about diablo 2, starcraft, bots, cracks and hacks. Good times.

"Geocities is closing today. Its advent in 1995 was a sign of the rising 'Internet for everyone' era, when connection speeds were 1,000x or 2,000x slower than is common today. You may love it or hate it, but millions of people had their first contact with a Web presence right here. I know that Geocities is something that most Slashdotters will see as a n00b thing

Ummmm, but it was getting old too. New generation is demanding something extra new.

my first website was geocities.com/whereatr_01_au

it... wow, I lost some FINE poetry in that one.

I set that up in... 2001, wow.

my first website was geocities.com/whereatr_01_au

it... wow, I lost some FINE poetry in that one.

I set that up in... 2001, wow.

Your website is deleted now. Gone. Sorry for that. I have never been on geocities. Really, i was unknown before three months ago. Three months ago, i found geocities. :D

My first website was a bravehost.

No! I had some very important fav websites there!! I hope I can retrieve them through google cache and the web archive... grrrr yahoo, I hope you die in pain!

edit: I often think about how many sources of important information are on the web, or particular websites, and what happens if they are gone, never to return... .... I guess it's still the best to rely on good old books, piled right in your own house. You can't trust anyone out there...blah!

Last edited:
No! I had some very important fav websites there!! I hope I can retrieve them through google cache and the web archive... grrrr yahoo, I hope you die in pain!

edit: I often think about how many sources of important information are on the web, or particular websites, and what happens if they are gone, never to return... .... I guess it's still the best to rely on good old books, piled right in your own house. You can't trust anyone out there...blah!
I agree. If it's important to you, get it in hard copy! :)