Genetic link in mental disorders | INFJ Forum

Genetic link in mental disorders

I'm not sure what you're pointing out. The link is talking about how there can be a genetic risk factor. Epigenetics likely has an effect as well, so it isn't like some people just "get" depression. There are many factors that will contribute to depression (or other disorders) becoming something that interferes with daily life.

They share the same genetic 'glitches'. Specifically in the calcium-channel signaling genes. In most mental health disorders, there is a genetic predisposition, combined with environmental factors to bring about onset.

Depression is something of a different beast. I don't quite know how to explain it, but it's become something of a nebulous disorder.

I wonder if anyone feels sad anymore? I don't think I've heard anyone say 'I feel sad' since childhood. Adults seem to say 'I feel depressed' instead. As if depression is the adult version of sad.

I'm ADHD/autistic and my sister is bipolar. I was thought to be bipolar for about 6 years (feckin psychiatrists >_<). Her manic episodes are kind of like long versions of my sensory overloads.

I wonder if anyone feels sad anymore? I don't think I've heard anyone say 'I feel sad' since childhood. Adults seem to say 'I feel depressed' instead. As if depression is the adult version of sad.

Smells like a thread-worthy topic to me... :m148::m155:

People feel sad all the time. People just go to the top shelf for words all the time now so everything small is overplayed.

People use top shelf words all the time like "That phone is amazing" and such.
But what if aliens came one night and impregnated a man with the savior of our people and it was on TV.
What would people say then as they've already used 'amazing' on something so insignificant in comparison.