For the Bible Tells Me So... | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

For the Bible Tells Me So...

This film had a strong introduction; I found that overall, it started quite negatively, but human nature draws us to what's negative first, doesn't it? As this progressed the positive light shined through and the ending was probably the most inspirational of the entire film. Like many things, it started with hate and ended with love. I think one of the aspects I enjoyed the most about how the film was presented was the unique format of interviewing the parents and then the children. It really gave a perspective on the role that a parent's attitude can play on their children, and how hard it really is for both parent and child to go without being able to agree on something. This is the type of film you can watch without actually paying attention to the screen every second; I was jotting down notes vigorously as I watched, and ended up with about two pages at the end. This post is the result of carefully sorting those two pages. I must admit that the picture of the bible club made me laugh.I'm coming from the perspective of someone never raised or taught any form of religion, of course. I did tune myself out during the brief cartoon portion though; it wasn't serious enough to captivate my interest, but it did make it's point. Overall the film showed great progress for the gay community, and I'm glad to have watched it. That's the technical portion of this review.

This is the more personal portion. Likely, more controversial as well. The clips from the 60's and earlier dates that were opposing homosexuals were great. I loved each and every one of them, simply because they state a very obvious point: The distaste of homosexuality has been going on for a long time. Just like blacks as well as Jews and women and many other that have been persecuted under the muse of religious and political beliefs, Gays have been strongly shunned by the community since the bible. And the bible was written a long time ago. This video strung along a great amount of good points that the bible makes. It's an abomination to eat shrimp and rabbit, just like gay marriage is an abomination. Those things have changed; why hasn't the views towards homosexuals? I was in love with the point that one clip made in this video. A man asked, in quite a serious manner, how much his daughter might be worth if he sold her up for slavery. Why is it that slavery and women rights issues have passed through but not this issue? A good question, a good question. In the film a lot of people I noticed were concerned with cross dressers and people who displayed nontraditional gender roles. Now, why is this a crime? Change is no way a crime. My beliefs are for change; all of these things need to be freshened up. Times change, and traditions should be at least rethought every one hundred years. Indeed, religion is in due need of a rethinking.

Another point that caught me, which Jake brought up in the film. He remembered as a child knowing the fact that only 1/3 of the world population was christian. Were the other 2/3, that many people, really going to hell? Intolerance of religion is one thing I can't stand. Whereas I don't believe in organized religion, it is mostly because of the intolerance. Every religion will save you. And if you don't join every religion, you will go to hell. I think that when raising children you really have to consider the intolerance of whatever the teachings of your religion are. Remember, children are very impressionable. Whatever you tell them from an early age they are highly suseptible of believe. You are after all their teacher; their parent, their life-bringer. Consider that if you were to truly teach children religion, that it would have to be in a way where every single religion in the world was exposed so they could fairly choose what they believed. And certainly, a eight year old might be a little confused at the notion that he/she must join every religion to be saved, or forever rot in hell. I wouldn't raise my children in a religion. I'd wait until they were older, so they could decide for themselves.

"Don't let my son grow up to be a fagot." These are crude words spoken by a parent, someone who's going to birth and raise a child, and already he is limiting what he wants and does not want from a child. Expectations are normal, but as children are people we must give them the room to grow and decide for their own. Forming requirements already sounds like a bad idea. But this is all part of the hoax of religion. They are taught to believe some things and discard others. Hate some, but love others. And they say god loved all of his children? Then why would he want to change them? There is so much hate against not only homosexuals, but many other groups that are formed by the idea of religion alone. Hate, hate, hate. This is all we see these days. Love. We need to be united in love.

Reactions: TheLastMohican
Uncle Bill (Bishop of North Queensland), Uncle Chris (Retired Priest, studies the bible and looks after cattle), and Philip Freier (The Bishop of The Northern Territory), and dad, all agree that the quote from Matthew reaffirms the first covenant as being still in effect.

With all due respect, Shai, we don't know their arguments, and don't really care about their title or position. I come from a family of missionaries and ministers, but I rarely go around saying "grandpa george says . . . "

It's just a pet peeve of mine. If you are going to debate, try actual debate. Don't try to intimidate us by dangling someone else's academic accomplishments in our faces and proclaiming that their titles make them the experts. We are all thinking people here. We want to know your opinion backed by evidence supporting said opinion. The opinions of other people don't really qualify as supporting evidence.

That said, if I didn't have to leave for work pretty soon, I would have tried to contribute something more worthwhile here.

Last edited:
Oh sure, but the arguments I made were strong enough to stand on their own. They were simply backed up with the knowledge of others.