Fi + Te | INFJ Forum

Fi + Te

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Fi + Te
I'd like to learn more about these functions work together.

For those who use or observe the use of these functions together, could you explain. thank you.

Wow, no responses. I was trying to find sites which discuss the effect of both function uses combined but couldn't find anything descriptive.

or may be it's Fi + Ne not Fi + Te which work together frequently.

As far as I'm aware two judging functions don't work together. You process information with your perceiving function and make decisions with your judging function.

Also Fi + Ne is only used by xNFPs, I use Fi + Se.

Reactions: Gaze
I'd say they work together indirectly, but pretty much what I can say about them working together is that Te needs to have some way to know what to prioritize, and I see Fi as being the source of values that Te needs to take into account. In other words, a Te dominant might let their Fi decide that following this system of norms is better than following another. Though I do think it's a more indirect connection, with Fi deciding what is important, that value system being stored in Si (or Ni?) and then Si and Te working together.

What I've read says that they have a suppressive relationship, which makes sense to me. Fi gets in the way of adhering to impersonal principles in that it is constantly weighing the worth of things. I see it as the difference between following the law and making exceptions to the law for good reason.

That being said, I'm mostly guessing here. I don't see the two as particularly connected. More like how people handle opposite situations?

What Chazz said is correct. Two judging function working in tandem constantly will create internal tensions and imbalance. However, when they do:

If Te>Fi (the case of TJs), then Fi will act as a moral filter for the decisions that Te makes.

If Fi>Te (the case of FPs), then Te will act as a rational filter for the decisions that Fi makes.

Think of it as looking through the ocular device from National Treasure. The incoming light will give a different image depending on the filters you use.

When a function is lesser in dominance, you will notice a strong tug when it's active. It has its presence. You can see that when TJs have strong sentimental streaks or when FPs can have rational and orderly actions taken, which both can be out of character for each. (I am stereotyping here to clarify the concept).

F types commonly confused for T types:
ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si)
ESFP (Se>Fi>Te>Ni)

T types commonly confused for F types:
INTJ (Ni>Te>Fi>Se)
ISTJ (Si>Te>Fi>Ne)

However, when they do:

If Te>Fi (the case of TJs), then Fi will act as a moral filter for the decisions that Te makes.

If Fi>Te (the case of FPs), then Te will act as a rational filter for the decisions that Fi makes.

This is what i was trying to figure out. So, thx.

I have recently found a theory that describes the meaning of the position of all functions

the dominant function is the one you mainly use but if you desregard all other functions you get in problem
the secundary function should support the dominant function. Because it is completly the opposite (judging-perceiving and introverted-extraverted) the secundary function is needed to be let say a balanced person
But the secundary function is for most of us difficult to use or even scary because it is the complete opposite. and if we don't use it, then the inferior function will take over the role of the dominant function like a little child that want to get what it want. But we are usualy bad in using this function and therefore get a lot of stress
the tertiar function is your defense mode. It is more comfortable than the secondary and inferior since it has the same orientatin as the dominant function (introverted-extraverted). But using this function holds us back and doesn't allow us to get the best out of us. So therefore it is good to work on using your secundary function in tandem with the dominant function

for INFP it would be so that Fi is dominant and Ne is used as secundary. Ne gives input that Fi can use to examine. Without Ne input, Fi becomes very clossed down, prejudice, it will only notice what it wants to notice and doesn't get an objective view on live
Te is the inferior function and will take over when FiNe fails
and Si is the defence mode. When an INFP encounters difficult situations the first reaction will be to use Si, so to stick to what is known, and what is save because stepping in the unknown is very scary for Si. In such situation it is better to turn to Ne because Ne will give you a wight range of opportunities and outcomes to the situation which reduces the anxiety of Si. Fi can than deside what is the best thing to do in this situation

Last edited:
For me, I believe the Te-Fi combination is responsible for organizing and prioritizing which extends to feelings and values too.

Fi:

"As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations."

I want to have all my feelings settled and explained and I work subconsciously all the time to adjust. I absolutely hate to have unsettled emotions and I feel better when I tell someone I hate them if I really mean it. Internal peace is the biggest priority for Fi users I guess. This doesn't mean I'm selfish, just honest.

For INFPs and ENFPs I guess it's a little different cause they have this empathy in overdrive but if you mess with their internal peace they can be quite "in your face" mean too.

What Chazz said is correct. Two judging function working in tandem constantly will create internal tensions and imbalance. However, when they do:

Think of it as looking through the ocular device from National Treasure. The incoming light will give a different image depending on the filters you use.

When a function is lesser in dominance, you will notice a strong tug when it's active. It has its presence. You can see that when TJs have strong sentimental streaks or when FPs can have rational and orderly actions taken, which both can be out of character for each. (I am stereotyping here to clarify the concept).

F types commonly confused for T types:
ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si)
ESFP (Se>Fi>Te>Ni)

T types commonly confused for F types:
INTJ (Ni>Te>Fi>Se)
ISTJ (Si>Te>Fi>Ne)

For me, I believe the Te-Fi combination is responsible for organizing and prioritizing which extends to feelings and values too.

Fi:

"As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life

I tend to think that Te and Fi can work rather well in harmony. Te basically plots the most efficient way of making something happen and Fi gives you the inherent value that Te uses to decide what is the most efficient/least cost effective manner of doing something. That's how I think it works in me anyway

in my experience Te and Fi mostly work against eachother. When I have to make a choice they are sitting on my shoulders like an angel and a devil and i'm not sure who is who :D, or who to follow. I tend to follow Te in day to day decissions and Fi when the decision has a big impact on my life. Te and Fi seem to work in the opposite direction and when one is working the other is almost impossible to acces. But sometimes it is possible to balance the Te and Fi preferences and by this come to a very "vluable" and "sensible" solution.

I like to think Te and Fi work in tandem for me.
Seems like when I feel something is worthy of my concern, I have the capability to plan out what the best way to carry it out would be.

Fi=values
Ne=possibilities; schemata
and Te makes the plan and sets it in motion

Values are refined through Ne (by objectively looking over options/seeing if my values align with reality) and then made into plans or strategies or carried out with Te.

Without properly developed Ne, an INFP is prone to being judgmental, prejudiced, and reality avoidant (As Morgain mentioned.)
Fi and Te cannot work together effectively without properly developed Ne--the go between guy!

So, you're right Anita.. It really is more important to focus on how Fi and Ne work for INFPs in order to see how Fi and Te work together.

...But I am under the impression that Te asks, "How?" in an external and action-oriented sense, while Ti asks, "Why?" in an internal more philosophical sense..
That is why I don't see how Te can be a rational filter for Fi.

Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I like to think Te and Fi work in tandem for me.
Seems like when I feel something is worthy of my concern, I have the capability to plan out what the best way to carry it out would be.

Fi=values
Ne=possibilities; schemata
and Te makes the plan and sets it in motion

Values are refined through Ne (by objectively looking over options/seeing if my values align with reality) and then made into plans or strategies or carried out with Te.

Without properly developed Ne, an INFP is prone to being judgmental, prejudiced, and reality avoidant (As Morgain mentioned.)
Fi and Te cannot work together effectively without properly developed Ne--the go between guy!

[MENTION=564]bananaphone[/MENTION]. makes sense . . . thx for explaining it.

I use Fi and Te. Ummm, I couldn't really explain it... I mean, yea.