Feeling feelings physically

Feelings

Banned
Sep 27, 2009
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I think I'm weird. My feelings are so intense that I feel them physically. Any others have such experiences too?

could you elaborate?

When I have to travel at short notice, I can feel my guts and innards starting to tighten up and move around. Symptom of nerves - I hate having to pack.

Pierce: are you talking about this kind of thing, or other things like bell's palsy, nerveous ticks, tremors, etc.?

If I am worried enough and anxious enough I get nauseas and a very bad headache.
Stress has an effect on your health.. You can actually think yourself sick.

If I am worried enough and anxious enough I get nauseas and a very bad headache.
I can confirm this.
Not a first day of school goes by for me without stress-induced diarrhea.

Are you talking about crying when you're sad, or your blood pressure going up when you're angry? I think everyone does that.

I've had my mother tell me that I tend to be very cranky when I'm constipated. I've also noticed that sometimes drinking a cool beverage or eating something bland can help me calm down if I'm angry. Various types of surroundings tend to put me in different moods as well. So I know that my physical state can definitely influence my emotions. Don't know as much about the other way around, though.

Last edited:
Nausea, heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, excess perspiration from anxiety. Surges of intense emotion (whether positive or negative) usually make me lightheaded and give me a temporary drop of blood sugar.

I can confirm this.
Not a first day of school goes by for me without stress-induced diarrhea.
I've thrown up after contemplating for agonizing hours how to go about breaking up with someone...

And then it happened again when I was sinking all my savings into fixing my car and stressing about other bills and worrying about having to move back home... though I was with a friend who was talking to me very very fast about her life--one story to the next and she was driving and the cumulation of all those things just made me sick. I had to ask her to pull over.

I think I've gotten better with managing stress as this rarely happens. Maybe once or twice a year.

Last edited:
I don't feel sick, but when i contemplate my feelings, and an issue is resolved, i physically feel less stressed and relieved. My body feels lighter and more energetic.

Anyone here feels a little feverish when they're stressing about something emotionally?

Last edited:
Wow, a fever? No, I've never heard of that.
Not that I think it can't happen...

definitely, i've seen it happen.

If I'm stressed, I start to lose sleep and I get all the symptoms of lacking sleep on top of the anxiety-induced nausea or tremors. Or when I do finally sleep when stressed, I've been told that I rock myself; my head will nod or my shoulders will rise and sink with my arms.

Huh. I remember learning something in Psych 101 about different emotions being connected to different physical sensations in parts of the body. Where is that textbook when I need it...

For the record, yes, I feel feelings physically. Most notably sadness and depression. When I get it, I get so overwhelmed by feeling that I can't breath. Feels like my chest's about to cave in sometimes because I'll get such a powerful sensation in it. Love and hate are similar, though the sensation is different.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and I get these exact things. My emotions and feelings are strongly linked to physical sensation that are anagalous to the "Body load" (in some cases even an orgasm) one feels while on certain drugs. I lovingly call them "upheavals".

It's like butterflies in the stomach, but all kinds of variants of that. I feel it all the time. It can actually lead to very easily crying :D.

Last edited:
I think I'm weird. My feelings are so intense that I feel them physically. Any others have such experiences too?

You're not weird, or if you are, so am I. I've had horrible problems with this sometimes.

So there. :hug:

Oh yes, I frequently feel feelings physically. Many emotions make me sick to my stomach: disappointment, disillusionment, jealousy, fear, anxiety...

I also have anxiety disorder, so if I forget to take my meds for a couple of days, or if there's something that makes me REALLY REALLY anxious, I get panic attacks.

The mind is a powerful thing, and emotions/thoughts that begin there definitely can make you physically ill!!

A lot; sometimes my head feels heavy, sometimes I...shiver, the other times parts of my body feel numb...and my stomach feels pressed and tight. Other times I got headaches.

And catharsis makes me lighter and energetic.

The good thing about feeling emotions physically is that eventually your body forgets that sick physicality. Pain and suffering are both forgotten by the body before they are the mind. You're more likely to remember how bad it felt when you got your heart broken than when you burned the smile into your thigh.