Feeling boys | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Feeling boys

Good points, I can say this, if I ever have children I know exactly what NOT to do. Try not to be like my parents as much as humanly possible. I got it from 2 ends, my mother was overbearing, I crushed on 2 girls I told her about and she TOLD THEM, told their mothers, even went so far as to have some sort of fucked up dating/sex talk with 1 of the girls (my friends sister) I was so humiliated I never spoke to that girl again more than a few words. Or any girls, it wasn't worth the risk. Then my father would humiliate me for being shy around them afterwards and mock me by pursing his lips and putting his head down almost like Rainman. I truly hated them. The worst part was when they got my idiotic little brothers involved, like the squaking fucking parrots they were they just repeated what my folks said, its no wonder I spent my entire adolescence locked in my bedroom away from them, being around them was painful. Fucking bastards.

That is the extremely dangerous side of interaction. There were times in high school I had extremely murderous thoughts play through my mind because "they" just kept pushing and pushing and pushing. When you have nowhere to go but your own head or lock yourself in your room it just exasperates the situation. They get some sick pride in thinking they've "won" when it wasn't a contest I/we were a part of to begin with. Sometimes I wish they knew just how lucky we all were that I didn't give in to some of those intense negative feelings. The worst ended up being some beatings I felt forced to administer, sometimes I'm amazed I wasn't locked up.

I also have two little boys, one of whom may be an INFJ. At any rate, I am sure he is I, and suspect he may be F also. He is very concerned about privacy, and would be hurt by some of the behavior described above. (Who wouldn't! That's awful.)

My other son is very E; you can practically watch his energy zoom up when he is around people. He is very sweet and sensitive and outgoing, and likes to play with hair, (mine. all the time) and he wore my pink hair band to school the other day. The INFJ got embarassed and he is the one who told him to take it off, and he's the one who gets embarassed easier. The EXFX seems to be immune to embarassment, whether by age or temperament, I don't know. The INFJ also criticizes his little brother for saying "Hi" to literally everyone we pass because it embarasses him.

My INFJ is shy, but not painfully so. Shyness, not Intorversion, is what sucks so very much in school! Believe me, I know!

You can help children overcome shyness with practice. My INFJ always bonds with one or two other children, and if he likes his teacher (which he does, this year, thank goodness) he is happy, and an absolutely stellar student. You've got to watch it if he doesn't like the teacher. You'll KNOW if he's happy, it's super-easy to tell, and if he seems unhappy, you'll know there is a problem and then you can figure out what to do to help.

We've enrolled my INFJ in drum lessons, and it's really good for him emotionally and mentally. Also we try to just be very accepting -- and it helps that my husband is also sensitive and gentle. He is not one of those emotionally repressed macho jerks that enjoys humiliating others. Yuck. So it helps to have a good, stong male role model! A LOT.

I will say my INFJ is perfectly capable of dishing stuff out also, and can go from 0 to berserk in about half a second. I'm talking rage. So obviously, we keep an eye on his peers, teachers and environment to make sure he is not being provoked or teased, and talk to him about appropriate expressions of anger.

Schools here are VERY on top of bullying; almost to the point it is borderline ridiculous sometimes, to my adult eyes. But it is better than the alternative. I'm sure my son would be quite capable of hurting someone severely given enough provocation.

He's also incredibly protective of others, including me (unnecessarily!) and has hesitated to tell me things (like what football team he likes) because he thinks it will hurt my feelings (not even a little bit). I have to tell him that mommy is perfectly okay with him rooting for whatever football team he wants, I could not care less about football and will buy him whatever kind of jersey he wants, no hard feelings whatsoever. But he was really worried about that! So I have to be careful to let him know I approve of him, all the time, and we're neither of us harshly critical. Encourage him to talk and don't embarass him! Especially for having emotions.

The EXFX is not at all shy, lucky child, he just rolls with things, he doesn't care! Easygoing little guy. He's also already proposed marriage to about 5 girls, and despite the hairband, will not hesitate to tackle people who bother him, he's very direct and physical. Then he gets over it just as quickly.

At kindergarten age, I don't think the children exert too much peer pressure to hold in your feelings or not express yourself -- usually -- it kind of depends on where you go to school. My friend does a homeschool group and it is quite frankly sort of hippieish (in a good way) and it encourages emotional expression much more than is typically found in a mainstream environment.

There are gender roles in Kindergarten (the hair band did not go over too well, actually...) but there are PLENTY of sweet, expressive, feeling little boys. Lots of them. Love 'm to death, too! <3 I help out in the class fairly often and can vouch for that. Hugging, being sensitive, etc. is no problem at all for boys in Kindergarten. Middle school? ehhhhhh.... maybe then it might cause some problems, we're not there yet.

I also have two little boys, one of whom may be an INFJ. At any rate, I am sure he is I, and suspect he may be F also. He is very concerned about privacy, and would be hurt by some of the behavior described above. (Who wouldn't! That's awful.)

My other son is very E; you can practically watch his energy zoom up when he is around people. He is very sweet and sensitive and outgoing, and likes to play with hair, (mine. all the time) and he wore my pink hair band to school the other day. The INFJ got embarassed and he is the one who told him to take it off, and he's the one who gets embarassed easier. The EXFX seems to be immune to embarassment, whether by age or temperament, I don't know. The INFJ also criticizes his little brother for saying "Hi" to literally everyone we pass because it embarasses him.

My INFJ is shy, but not painfully so. Shyness, not Intorversion, is what sucks so very much in school! Believe me, I know!

You can help children overcome shyness with practice. My INFJ always bonds with one or two other children, and if he likes his teacher (which he does, this year, thank goodness) he is happy, and an absolutely stellar student. You've got to watch it if he doesn't like the teacher. You'll KNOW if he's happy, it's super-easy to tell, and if he seems unhappy, you'll know there is a problem and then you can figure out what to do to help.

We've enrolled my INFJ in drum lessons, and it's really good for him emotionally and mentally. Also we try to just be very accepting -- and it helps that my husband is also sensitive and gentle. He is not one of those emotionally repressed macho jerks that enjoys humiliating others. Yuck. So it helps to have a good, stong male role model! A LOT.

I will say my INFJ is perfectly capable of dishing stuff out also, and can go from 0 to berserk in about half a second. I'm talking rage. So obviously, we keep an eye on his peers, teachers and environment to make sure he is not being provoked or teased, and talk to him about appropriate expressions of anger.

Schools here are VERY on top of bullying; almost to the point it is borderline ridiculous sometimes, to my adult eyes. But it is better than the alternative. I'm sure my son would be quite capable of hurting someone severely given enough provocation.

He's also incredibly protective of others, including me (unnecessarily!) and has hesitated to tell me things (like what football team he likes) because he thinks it will hurt my feelings (not even a little bit). I have to tell him that mommy is perfectly okay with him rooting for whatever football team he wants, I could not care less about football and will buy him whatever kind of jersey he wants, no hard feelings whatsoever. But he was really worried about that! So I have to be careful to let him know I approve of him, all the time, and we're neither of us harshly critical. Encourage him to talk and don't embarass him! Especially for having emotions.

The EXFX is not at all shy, lucky child, he just rolls with things, he doesn't care! Easygoing little guy. He's also already proposed marriage to about 5 girls, and despite the hairband, will not hesitate to tackle people who bother him, he's very direct and physical. Then he gets over it just as quickly.

At kindergarten age, I don't think the children exert too much peer pressure to hold in your feelings or not express yourself -- usually -- it kind of depends on where you go to school. My friend does a homeschool group and it is quite frankly sort of hippieish (in a good way) and it encourages emotional expression much more than is typically found in a mainstream environment.

There are gender roles in Kindergarten (the hair band did not go over too well, actually...) but there are PLENTY of sweet, expressive, feeling little boys. Lots of them. Love 'm to death, too! <3 I help out in the class fairly often and can vouch for that. Hugging, being sensitive, etc. is no problem at all for boys in Kindergarten. Middle school? ehhhhhh.... maybe then it might cause some problems, we're not there yet.
You're a good mother.

Awwww! Thank you! (I am blushing horribly now thank you Billy.)
It is not easy raising children, people do the best they can. Believe me, I've made mistakes but I do love them very, very, very much! <3

Hello Meira; I just-clicked on your above post; I would be hurredly typing reply if time permitted. I do have and may- have more- to share with you, by later today or evening (Fri 7th) central time U.S.A. Go to persoanlityjunkie.com and read up on INFJ. This touches on multiple facets of my strength, hope, and experience. I would like to write more yet must go, for the moment. I promise to send more as soon as I can. In mean time, Personalityjunkie is the greatest Typology web site I have seen, and I have experience with MBTI going back decades. I'll prob. contact you via PM.... R. P.S, My opinion? He's a very fortunate little boy, in all- the best ways..(-=

I am not really sure that thats succinct though, ya know? I mean being sensitive isn't seen so much as being femme like it used to be, especially after the 90s... good lord, with all the talk shows etc the 90s was absolutely dripping with sensitivity. The whole "mach man" thing became a parody of masculinity.

Well, I think it depends where or when you grew up. See, I grew up in a rural, working class blue collar town where "sissies" weren't really tolerated. I should have prefaced my original post with this, but I also might be inaccurately biased because maybe the other kids didn't bully me because I was sensitive, but because I cried so much, was a chronic pants-wetter, and was generally terrified of everything and everyone, all things I probably would not have done (or, at least, not to the extreme degree) if I wasn't being abused. Like it or not, fair or not, this has colored my views of what it means to be a child.

However, as I think we already established, it's not exactly the matter of the sensitivity, so much as its expression. Sensitivity can manifest in behaviors our society perceives as masculine, or as behaviors our society perceives as feminine, or anywhere in between. I feel like mine acts out, and still chooses to act out, in a way perceived as feminine. I also believe there is still a stigma against feminine boys or masculine girls. While not as severe as it once was, I think it's still there, and children can be particularly cruel about it.

Hi, and thanks for your replies. I cannot take in quite everything, but will ponder them later.

But that point of avoiding teasing certainly brought back memories, and not in a good way. When I was 11 or something, I had a crush on this boy I knew and who was my friend. When my mother found out, she teased me A LOT, and I hated it. I'm not sure whether she told the boy about it but she dropped hints aplenty. What was even worse: long after I had forgotten my crush, she still teased be about it and seemed to seriously believe that I would and should end up together with that boy. It really bothered me, and I sure hope that I would never do something like that to my own kids.

After some kind of frustrating experiences we have been avoiding regular hobbies now when he is still quite young, but I am certainly eager to introduce my kinds to all kinds of arts and culture. We will be attending a parent-child-Afro drumming thing in two weeks and stuff like that, hoping that he would find something that he would really love and be enthusiastic about. (The problem with hobbies has been that he first is okay with a particular hobby, but then gets easily bored and very reluctant to go back, this has happened with various hobbies and different teachers and children, so it is not something related to particular people.)