"F" Stereotypes | INFJ Forum

"F" Stereotypes

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
I've been lurking around a few MBTI forums lately and something has been bothering me, there seems to be a generalisation that F types are prone to obvious displays of emotion. However I have very good control of my emotions, in fact I almost never experience the rage, hate and frustration that so many people around me seem to display. I can't remember the last time I was truly angry or upset with someone. My emotions tend to ebb and flow very slowly from mild discontentment to mild contentment almost never sudden changes in mood. Is this normal for an F type or maybe I am a T? I have a feeling that over the top displays of emotion have more to do with neuroticism that can be found in any type rather than an F vs T thing. So someone with a T preference could be just as likely to experience rage, crying etc as an F?

Just a bit confused. :D

I have to say that F is one of my ruling features....I myself have spontaneous bouts of incredible emotion....BUT only when I am around people I am comfortable with.....I am not about to make myself vulnerable to strangers so in those situations I am very internalized. I dont knwo if its a stereo type of if you are just more ruled my another feature..aside from feeling...I am ruled by feeling and intuition...you could be Judging and intuition...

Everybody uses both feeling and thinking functions. It's only a matter of preference. People who try to stereotype the different types in that manner don't understand the theory very well.

Simply put, all types are capable of emotional displays.

The INF types that I know irl are not eager to share anger/sadness/etc openly, I've noticed their introversion can hold them back for fear of how they are perceived. The attitude that NF's are all emotionally revealing does not fit, and besides, the more mature and emotionally aware you are, the more even your moods will be IMO.

My Ti is quite capable of crying during a touching movie (don't tell the other NT's but I think their Ti is too :mrgreen: ). What Satya said covers it, anyone who makes generalised statements like all NF's are prone to obvious displays of emotion, does not understand the complexity of the people they are surrounded by.

My question for you is do you doubt your type?

Lurker said:
My question for you is do you doubt your type?

Yes sometimes I do, I originally tested as INTJ sometimes INTP. As I have learnt more about MBTI I felt I related to the INFJ type description and the NF temperament better. I think as a male I had almost been programmed to answer as a T, it was only through introspection that I realised I could have a preference for F. I read somewhere that INFJ's are the most "P" and "T" of the FJ's (if that makes sense?) which would fit me perfectly. Anyway I don't think I will ever be sure of my type as I see MBTI as more like guidelines than rules (arrrrrr!).

Makes sense and you're right MBTI is a tool to help understand better not a rule book, people are not that one dimensional. I get what you're saying about being programmed to answer with 'T', as a female I get the opposite and am expected to answer with 'F'.

I could certainly relate when you said "I have very good control of my emotions, in fact I almost never experience the rage, hate and frustration that so many people around me seem to display. I can't remember the last time I was truly angry or upset with someone." My emotions are pretty even although the older I get the more I'm prone to outburst of excitement but I think that has more to do with I/E!

I'm interested to hear what other INF's around here say in response to your first post cause it made sense to this INTJ ;)

This is sum what still on topic...

I use to (and still do) generalize that STJs are maddest type.
(My two aunts (ISTJ just yells all the time and inconsiderate of others)
and my Mom(ESTJ pretty cool if you obey her but, yells if you prove her wrong).

I also use to think that ESTP's would be horrible but after reading some of Cokenuts
post. I realized they can also be good and maybe all types have a good side to them. ;)
(since the ESTP type people I know are guys in highschool so you can imagine them as sort of bullies)

I always thought that an NF was less prone to have emotional outbursts that a T might have. You guys may understand and act on your feelings, but we don't understand on them, so when they build up due to negligence we blow a casket and simply react however the emotions take us.

HenRick said:
I also use to think that ESTP's would be horrible but after reading some of Cokenuts
post. I realized they can also be good and maybe all types have a good side to them. ;)
(since the ESTP type people I know are guys in highschool so you can imagine them as sort of bullies)

I've surrounded myself with good people whose opinion and respect I value, and I've learned from them. However, don't be fooled ... I can be a real scary nightmare on a bad day. ESTPs react to the world around them, if you are good to us you get to see the good parts; if you cross us, you may as well have called the devil to your door.

HenRick said:
I use to (and still do) generalize that STJs are maddest type.
(My two aunts (ISTJ just yells all the time and inconsiderate of others)
and my Mom(ESTJ pretty cool if you obey her but, yells if you prove her wrong).

You can read about and generalise the different types till the cows come home and it doesn't change the fact that noone is their type, the knowledge simply helps us understand ourselves and others. Each type has their own unique strengths and weaknesses and some will effect you more then others, personally a SJ in their negatives can shit me royally but anyone who does not try to overcome their weaknesses will do that. All types have a good side, some people just don't show that well.

CokeNut said:
I've surrounded myself with good people whose opinion and respect I value, and I've learned from them. However, don't be fooled ... I can be a real scary nightmare on a bad day. ESTPs react to the world around them, if you are good to us you get to see the good parts; if you cross us, you may as well have called the devil to your door.
Sweetie, we're not fooled ;)

ShaiGar said:
I always thought that an NF was less prone to have emotional outbursts that a T might have. You guys may understand and act on your feelings, but we don't understand on them, so when they build up due to negligence we blow a casket and simply react however the emotions take us.
That sounds like a cop-out to me, not being aware of ones emotions and letting them build up till they explode is immaturity (not directed at you personally Shai).

I'm definitely NT and I can honestly say that I am aware and in control of my emotions at all times, I also do my best not to keep them buried.