Eye contact | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Eye contact

I will only associate it with dishonesty, if someone breaks eye contact at critical times, or seems to display other signs of discomfort or indicators of possible dishonesty. On it's own I don't think it represents that.

One of my friends (who often lies - he's a salesman) discovered research that claims that when people remember they look in one direction and when they lie they look in the other direction. It's fairly common knowledge used by interviewers. Now he knows this, so when he lies for a sales pitch he consciously looks in the "remember" direction.
The directions of the eyes are opposite for left-handed people. LOL.
I guess asking what hand a person writes with could be crucial interviewing information. If someone keeps looking in the lie direction, you should have them write something in front of you, so you can check without alerting them to their body language.

I have been told, that if you are uncomfortable, that it can help to try to focus on the other persons eyebrows, if it's a job interview etc..
Can you tell when someone is looking at your eyebrows? I can. It's distracting because I start wondering what is wrong with my eyebrows instead of focusing on them.
I usually look at the details of their eyes - the pink veins in the sclera or the 'crypts of fuchs'.

I usually look at the details of their eyes

I found Asa talking to somebody

crptfch12_useo.jpg

One of my friends (who often lies - he's a salesman) discovered research that claims that when people remember they look in one direction and when they lie they look in the other direction. It's fairly common knowledge used by interviewers. Now he knows this, so when he lies for a sales pitch he consciously looks in the "remember" direction.
The directions of the eyes are opposite for left-handed people. LOL.
I guess asking what hand a person writes with could be crucial interviewing information. If someone keeps looking in the lie direction, you should have them write something in front of you, so you can check without alerting them to their body language.

Can you tell when someone is looking at your eyebrows? I can. It's distracting because I start wondering what is wrong with my eyebrows instead of focusing on them.
I usually look at the details of their eyes - the pink veins in the sclera or the 'crypts of fuchs'.

@Asa I did know that yes, but to be honest I feel a little uneasy (even here amongst my INFJ brothers/sisters) posting something that might potentially help someone who was 'up to no good' lol. As it was my work for about 7 years to interview people to determine whether they were up to something, I have read a great deal on it, and had the opportunity to try it out. My honest view is that it's almost impossibly to definitively say any of it, you just have to pick up a 'vibe' and also, really just step back and look at things objectively.

If someone says something that seems unlikely to be true, in all likelihood it isn't true. No matter how convincing they are. I think a great deal of 'posed' behavior is quite obvious, very skilful liars don't need to use it, they just don't experience stress (or very little stress) when lying. For them, it's the same as telling the truth, and in fact they can be genuinely upset if you question them on it ! People's faces are to me the most common way to detect problems. People tend to exhibit 'micro' expressions that are almost impossible to hide or control. Some people, just through stress can exhibit a lot of 'lie' signals even when definitely telling the truth.

It's also possible for some people to lie, but believe themselves to be telling the truth, as they 'recreate' the events or just genuinely are mistaken or forget. The difficulty is dealing I think, with the two groups at either end of the spectrum, who either are practically incapable of lying (this may sound good, but actually can be very very difficult for that person in ordinary life) and those who lie as easily as telling the truth. The majority of us do lie a little, but tend to do so in small non-malicious ways. I guess even a salesman, has to make sales and might have to tell a small untruth to clinch a deal ?

I think though, with the eye contact thing (this will sound weird) there is maybe something a little deeper going on there. Have you ever seen those pictures of divers along side whales or similar ? The deep look or connection, seeing them make eye contact is something kind of amazing to me. There is a recognition of some kind going on that speaks to something inside all of us, I think. So I get it, why some people feel such an intense or difficult feeling making that eye contact. I think at heart it's a highly personal thing.

And now... back to Sports lol.

If someone says something that seems unlikely to be true, in all likelihood it isn't true. No matter how convincing they are.
That's subjective. Depending on one's knowledge, level of innocence/naivety, culture, and exposure to either positive or negative experiences and feats, a person may not believe another person's story is true and will perceive it as "far fetched". -- This is derailing, though.

I've always looked others in the eye.
I don't stare...but do linger longer than might be sociable. I'm typically "reading" the persons nonverbal cues at the same time. I'll look at their nostrils for flare--breathing increasing. I'll look at their right carteroid artery-if it starts pumping blood faster as it's a sure tell, even the best liar can't hide it. I'll start counting how many times they blink in a minute. I look for lip quivering, cheek biting, shifting in their chair, leaning forward or backward, standing on one foot or the other, what they are doing with their hands...and many more "tells" while at the same time maintaining eye contact. And generally smiling.
Several folks have told me I freak them out. However, when I worked HR and as an arbitrator/mediator the skill of "reading" people sure helped.:)

That's subjective. Depending on one's knowledge, level of innocence/naivety, culture, and exposure to either positive or negative experiences and feats, a person may not believe another person's story is true and will perceive it as "far fetched". -- This is derailing, though.

I guess what I meant @Asa was that it is easy to get drawn into the situation and the person. Our intuition as an INFJ is so strong, and usually so accurate. Stepping back to just dispassionately assess things based on the facts, can be a very effective way of trying to arrive at the best conclusion. Unlikely and seemingly 'far fetched' things happen every day. They just don't happen most times/days. It's a judgement call imho. But if someone tells me they climbed Everest wearing flip flops, whilst I know it's possible, I am going to adjudge it unlikely. Even if they're really cool "Nike" type flip flops.

If what you meant was that as an INFJ you've had some bizarre experience, or Deja Vu ? I would believe you. I can't explain that logically. I just know it happens to INFJs, other types as well, but more typically with INFJ's. I think it is something that troubles our type, quite often.

What is the 'truth' anyway ?

It can be a very value loaded thing, based on beliefs as much as anything else. Have you ever seen the McGurk effect ? I have listed the video in this post. Seemingly even knowing all about it, makes little to no difference to detection. The way we perceive things is complex, our brains seem to operate by trying to predict the world and make it fit a pattern that makes sense to us. I'd guess this happens around eye contact too. I think a little derailing is ok sometimes, when things are going in an interesting direction, which to me is what happened here. Personally I think I was very drawn to science to try to understand the things that happened to me in my life, my experiences. I gradually came to the view, that it never would, but it still interests me.

The things/feelings I often associate with eye contact are primarily honesty/genuine interest.

I know not all people are comfortable with it or like it, but at least to me it shows that you have some sincere confidence in what you're saying (and can show that you're really listening...or not). --generalized statement.. also not to say I couldn't be fooled by false sincerity.

This may sound silly, but there was actually a moment/conversation in my late teens that had an effect on me in regards to my thoughts about EC--I was having a conversation with someone about something important to them.. I generally try to listen others intently.. so I was, but this time I also went out of my way to maintain EC (which was quite difficult/unheard of for me due to social anxiety back then). I could see a fire, a real belief in what he was saying... something I hadn't really experienced to this intensity prior to this conversation.

It's become more important to me regarding relationships/socializing in adulthood, eyes really do hold truths.. whether that's simply nonverbal cues or something more I can't say for certain.
It's now my "natural" inclination to make and maintain EC, that said.. I don't do it if I see the other person is uncomfortable and/or avoidant of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Owl and Gaze
I've always looked others in the eye.
I don't stare...but do linger longer than might be sociable. I'm typically "reading" the persons nonverbal cues at the same time. I'll look at their nostrils for flare--breathing increasing. I'll look at their right carteroid artery-if it starts pumping blood faster as it's a sure tell, even the best liar can't hide it. I'll start counting how many times they blink in a minute. I look for lip quivering, cheek biting, shifting in their chair, leaning forward or backward, standing on one foot or the other, what they are doing with their hands...and many more "tells" while at the same time maintaining eye contact. And generally smiling.
Several folks have told me I freak them out. However, when I worked HR and as an arbitrator/mediator the skill of "reading" people sure helped.:)

Woah. You do all that *consciously* and are still able to follow the flow of conversation?

I note body language now and again but I find most of that kind of stuff is woven into the fabric of the experience. Like, I can tell someone is lying, for example, but I can't tell you it's because I noticed their pupils dilating or because they touched their eye one too many times.

Woah. You do all that *consciously* and are still able to follow the flow of conversation?

I note body language now and again but I find most of that kind of stuff is woven into the fabric of the experience. Like, I can tell someone is lying, for example, but I can't tell you it's because I noticed their pupils dilating or because they touched their eye one too many times.
Yes. I still follow the conversation flow and pay conscious attention to all that other stuff.

I remember being a kid and being told by my parents that giving direct eye contact means showing respect. This is always in the back of my mind when speaking with someone or in a lecture, etc. I also think that by not looking into someone's eyes, you miss a lot of important non verbal cues. I can't help looking into other people's eyes. I never forget someone's eye color.

Last edited:
I remember being a kid and being told by my parents that giving direct eye contact means showing respect. This is always in the back of my mind when speaking with someone or in a lecture, etc. (because sometimes a lot of eye contact can be uncomfortable for me.) I also think that by not looking into someone's eyes, you miss a lot of important non verbal cues. I can't help looking into other people's eyes. I never forget someone's eye color.
The eye is the only human body part that does not change in size from birth to death...the color stays relative but the brightness deepens or fades, this makes it look like the color changes =:O

Yes. I still follow the conversation flow and pay conscious attention to all that other stuff.

That's amazing! My working memory doesn't allow for that.

Reactions: Sandie33
That's amazing! My working memory doesn't allow for that.
;-) TY...Did you know you can strengthen your memory with practice??

;-) TY...Did you know you can strengthen your memory with practice??

I've heard that. I haven't applied myself.

Mind you, you can also destroy it by keeping too many tabs open. I should keep a balance, huh? ;)

Reactions: Sandie33
I remember being a kid and being told by my parents that giving direct eye contact means showing respect. This is always in the back of my mind when speaking with someone or in a lecture, etc. I also think that by not looking into someone's eyes, you miss a lot of important non verbal cues. I can't help looking into other people's eyes. I never forget someone's eye color.
creep

Reactions: acd
In the past, I hated direct eye contact, and sucked at it. I looked down quite often making me seem shy and lacking confidence. Sometimes, I avoided eye contact, because I was so self conscious and worried about social judgment. I realized later on, that looking at people when I'm speaking wasn't so bad, and when I learned to be more comfortable with who I was, I used eye contact more often, so it was a genuine reflection of growth, rather than something I should do. I also realized from my OP, that I've been confusing looking at someone with direct eye contact, which is not the same thing. I think it's polite and nice to look at people to show interest and involvement in a conversation, but too intense looks or intense eye contact can be uncomfortable, so that gets reserved for more personal or intimate situations.

This is something I am trying to work on. I've always been quite shy and had low self-esteem for many years. If someone doesn't use eye contact when they talk to me, I tend to not use it either and then the whole conversation gets a little awkward in my opinion... Then again I tend to overthink things as well. But I think that eye contact is important in establishing a meaningful conversation with someone-- I have been making more of an effort lately in this area and I'm happy with the results. The eyes truly are the windows into the soul.