Extraversion vs. Introversion | INFJ Forum

Extraversion vs. Introversion

Introspiritual

Community Member
Dec 24, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
The following is one of my favorite passages from "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Myers (of MBTI fame), and really illustrated to me the difference between extraversion and introversion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

---

"A good way to visualize the difference (between introversion and extraversion) is to think of the dominant process as the General and the auxiliary process as the Aide. In the case of the extravert, the General is always out in the open. Other people meet him immediately and do their business directly with him. They can get the official viewpoint on anything at any time. The Aide stands respectfully in the background or disappears inside the tent.

The introvert's General is inside the tent, working on matters of top priority. The Aide is outside fending off interruptions, or, if he is inside helping the General, he comes out to see what is wanted. It is the Aide whom others meet and with whom they do their business. Only when the business is very important (or the friendship is very close) do others get in to see the General himself.

If people do not realize that there is a general in the tent who far outranks the Aide they have met, they may easily assume that the Aide is in sole charge. This is a regrettable mistake. It leads not only to an underestimation of the introvert's abilities but also to an incomplete understanding of his wishes, plans, and point of view. The only source for such inside information is the General.

A cardinal precaution in dealing with introverts, therefore, is not to assume, just from ordinary contact, that they have revealed what really matters to them. Whenever there is a decision to be made that involves introverts, they should be told about it as fully as possible. If the matter is important to them, the General will come out of the tent and reveal a number of new things, and the ultimate decision will have a better chance of being right."

I have just finished reading this book and I really love the description as well!

If people do not realize that there is a general in the tent who far outranks the Aide they have met, they may easily assume that the Aide is in sole charge. This is a regrettable mistake. It leads not only to an underestimation of the introvert's abilities but also to an incomplete understanding of his wishes, plans, and point of view. The only source for such inside information is the General.

This is so classic. I see it happening on my course at uni. The introverts are perceived as such and are undervalued or overlooked simply because it requires more time and effort to get to know one. When in reality, their introspection tends to more talent and writing ability then many of the show off's. The reason for that being, simply being an introvert on the kind of course I am on requires a lot of courage and it is not a natural field for them to enter, so if they are there- the skills they posses more then make up for their introversion.

A cardinal precaution in dealing with introverts, therefore, is not to assume, just from ordinary contact, that they have revealed what really matters to them. Whenever there is a decision to be made that involves introverts, they should be told about it as fully as possible. If the matter is important to them, the General will come out of the tent and reveal a number of new things, and the ultimate decision will have a better chance of being right."

I wish everyone was made aware of these things. I try to raise them in my uni but it falls on deaf ears and people go back to their misconceptions of what introversion and extroversion actually mean.

The following is one of my favorite passages from "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Myers (of MBTI fame), and really illustrated to me the difference between extraversion and introversion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

Enjoyable indeed!

A nice, short read. I approve √

Reactions: the
That's very helpful in explaining that difference. As an introvert who grew up in a household of extroverts I can definitely say that I have a clear experience of the key differences of how extroverts function differently than introverts.

Dinner table conversations really outlined how this was going on. Where my family is using the time to deal with everything that's gone on during the day, I'm keeping their concerns at bay while I'm preparing my own statements to share and give.

Wow, I really like that description! Not only does it explain extroversion vs. introversion, but it gives a perspective on introverts who appear extroverted and whatnot.

like so many descriptions on this site it makes intorverts seem overall better than extroverts.

like so many descriptions on this site it makes intorverts seem overall better than extroverts.
I didn't think so... All it's saying is that the Extroverted General is more accessible, being out there in the field while his aide works in the tent... The Introverted General is more difficult to access, being in the tent working while the aide oversees people matters..

I kind of got the opposite impression as you did..

You're one of those people who see that the sun and moon are different and want to posit that one is better than the other, aren't you?

You're one of those people who see that the sun and moon are different and want to posit that one is better than the other, aren't you?
Tthat is the opposite of what i am saying.