Examples of Ni

aerosol

American trash
Jan 16, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
i think Ni is the most misunderstood function of them all. i get conflicting descriptions of it a lot, which is confusing.

so, i'd like some examples of Ni, please. make it as concrete as possible. i mean, definitions of it are fine but i'm really looking for examples here.

also, feel free to challenge an example that you don't agree with. i won't feel like i've made a difference until this turns into a full-on mbti war.

seeing something from all different angles.

Reactions: Saru Inc
connecting past observations/experiences & constructing them into a pattern to predict likely future outcomes.

Introverted Intuition. Hmm. I think one switch that turns on the ni is mara jew wanna. :D Or another stereotypical example would be a fortune teller aka miss cleo. I kind of view it as a dream like function. Dreams sometimes don't "make sense" because everything is scrambled up in them. But there are always a point to them imo even though the meaning is often hidden. I view the ni in a similar manner, everything could be scrambled, but it points you to the right idea(s).

^ both of those descriptions are incredibly vague and aren't real examples. (the first two - donkeybals hit on something good in saying that it "points you to the right idea" - being intuition, it does not contain concrete data, rather it tells you an idea which you then have to try and make concrete. Also, the dream like thing is good, because an Ni user will typically conceive of the past in a dreamlike fashion, often not knowing what actually happened except according to what seems logical)

I don't know that I've seen any descriptions that list concrete examples of what any of the functions really do.

I would start by explaining it by saying that, when considering a problem, I will always either just "see" the solution, or not be able to see it, and sort of "look around" in my mind to see if I can see the solution, or otherwise leave it for a while until something comes to me. In that sense it is an introverted perception function, rather than a judging function which is used to concretely build the solution, and it is introverted in the sense that I am drawing up already stored ideas to apply to a particular case, rather than seeing a new idea manifest itself externally.

For example, while writing this post, I could see from the start what it was I wanted to say, but I had no idea how I would structure how I was going to say it. I just had an idea of what I wanted to express, and would then try different things to make that impression into a concrete explanation.

So, Ni:
- is introverted
- is perception
- is interpretive

Both of the three? Or were you writing while I was writing and I posted a minute before you? :D Likely the case, likely the case. :p

Coming to conclusions using experience, physical awareness, and other senses of cues and clues based on a subject.

It doesn't always have a feeling attached to it, its just something our mind puts together, a likely conclusion based on analyzing the info at hand to come to likely conclusions based off of other data. In short, connecting dots into an answer.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Coming to conclusions using experience, physical awareness, and other senses of cues and clues based on a subject.

It doesn't always have a feeling attached to it, its just something our mind puts together, a likely conclusion based on analyzing the info at hand to come to likely conclusions based off of other data. In short, connecting dots into an answer.

This is far too vague.

It does not form a picture in my mind of Ni in accordance with how my Ni conceives of Ni.

This is far too vague.

It does not form a picture in my mind of Ni in accordance with how my Ni conceives of Ni.

Actually I think its far easier to understand then the stereo-instructions answer you posted as to what Ni is, and works like. I could have copied something from Wikipedia too, instead I chose to tone the banality down into something plain and you call it vague?

Actually I think its far easier to understand then the stereo-instructions answer you posted as to what Ni is, and works like. I could have copied something from Wikipedia too, instead I chose to tone the banality down into something plain and you call it vague?

Provide concrete examples.

Reactions: aerosol
Wait a second. Is that the ni when you say "hang on let it come to me". And then it just pops in your head randomly. So weird how it just pops into your brain like that. I always hated the teachers who gave timed test and stated "You either know it or you don't" well aparently they weren't aware of my ni. Jerks.

seeing something from all different angles.

That, that's why INFJ could have problem with firm attitudes sometimes. Whene people are arguing for example. You can see problem from bot sides.

connecting past observations/experiences & constructing them into a pattern to predict likely future outcomes.

And that....
When you just know that someone will say or do something...not in psychiic way, but because your minds connected all sorts of puzzle and gave you the answer.
My example, I am writer. Sometimes characters in my stories have life model. It can happaen that I mad character and then lately some of models do things I described. It is mattaer of reading pattern...

Reactions: grt$5vb
That, that's why INFJ could have problem with firm attitudes sometimes. Whene people are arguing for example. You can see problem from bot sides.

It's not necessarily about seeing different sides, it's about recognising that the truth is only ever approximated in words, and that often the thing being argued over is irrelevant to the fundamental idea, which both sides are probably basically in agreement over.

Ni will paint a picture through examples - what it actually sees is the underlying idea behind them all, not necessarily being tied to any one explanation of them. It will often use contradictory examples for the sake of portraying which elements are to be focused on, and which are to be ignored.

Reactions: Saru Inc
My History professor once said, "If the past repeated itself, we should be able to predict the future." Keep this in mind as we delve into an example of what it means to be Ni.

Think about getting a test with the following math problem to solve 68 x 124 = ?. Unlike an Ni, I think a Si would suspend concluding on what the answer could be until 1) understanding the problem needs to be solved, 2) privately running through a calculation of some kind. Whereas an Ni could answer instantly by guessing on the spot before being asked. More often than not, an intelligent Ni could come to approximately the correct answer, because once the Ni was exposed to the test, he or she has actively taken in information, whether consciously or unconsciously, to anticipate the possibility of solving the problem.

The Si may read the math problem, and require a prompt "The test begins now" and more information or instructions to go ahead and solve the problem "Choose the best answer for each problem." However, the Ni continuously reasons over the smallest minutiae to form a basis for his or her knowledge. Even before the Ni receives the test with the problem on it, like when walking into the testing room, or the building where the testing room is located, information about the test would be rapidly poured over regardless of whether the information is confirmed. In this example the Ni receives the test and thinks 1) I have a test 2) tests need to be completed 3) completed correctly 4) there is a problem 5) with a question mark 6) questions need to be answered 7) calculating 70 x 120 can be done in my head 8) I can answer this as approximately 8400 9) the answer is probably 8432 10) my calculator confirms this answer 11) the instructions for this test tell me to choose the best answer for each question 12) the instructor told me "The test begins now"

The Ni takes in a barrage of information at all times, continuously processes this information to form conclusions about the tiniest of minutiae, which in turn become the basis for the Ni's knowledge about the world around him/her. So in essence, while the Si seeks external verification to make conclusions about information taken in, Ni relies on internal references to past memories, experiences, observations, and sensations to make (sometimes accurate, sometimes false) predictions about information taken in.

Last edited:
So in essence, while the Si seeks external verification to make conclusions about information taken in, Ni relies on internal references to past memories, experiences, observations, and sensations to make (sometimes accurate, sometimes false) predictions about information taken in.

No, Si uses prior knowledge to solve a problem. Ni looks at stuff in entirely new ways and tries to converge it with something.

The math problem solving you describe is more Si. When I see a problem on a test, I immediately see the part of lecture or book that it was drawing from. I understand what skill the professor wants me to demonstrate. When I get a question on a chemistry test, I can just look at a problem and know how to get to the answer, usually. Si would look to previous experiences to answer that question while Ni treats it separate yet still tries to relate it to something else.

Reactions: Artsu Tharaz
Yeah. JCPA, you sure you're not ISFJ? =/

JCPA said:
The Ni takes in a barrage of information at all times, continuously processes this information to form conclusions about the tiniest of minutiae, which in turn become the basis for the Ni's knowledge about the world around him/her. So in essence, while the Si seeks external verification to make conclusions about information taken in, Ni relies on internal references to past memories, experiences, observations, and sensations to make (sometimes accurate, sometimes false) predictions about information taken in.
You described Si lol. External verification would imply an extraverted function. Making references to memories and past observations etc. is sensing o.o

N - deriving from "collective unconsciousness"
Ni - deriving from collective unconsciousness with subjective value attached to it.

Concrete examples? OK.

A man walks into a bar. CRASH.
(BA-DUM TSHHH :D)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg"]YouTube - ‪Knights Who Say Ni‬‏[/ame]