Examples of Ni | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Examples of Ni

Change needs to be organic; through growth; not the application of new paint. Otherwise it's a corruption of the same old.

I wasn't talking about new paint. I was actually talking about burning the whole system down and rising from the ashes.

What do you mean by organic? There can be events that catalyze a change or growth.

I think that Ni doms have a comfort zone but we don't necessarily have a hard time adapting to abrupt change. I really don't think that applies to Ni as much as it might have to do with enneagram or introverts in general.

I think that Ni doms have a comfort zone but we don't necessarily have a hard time adapting to abrupt change. I really don't think that applies to Ni as much as it might have to do with enneagram or introverts in general.

And as I said, I make my decisions by taking the systems as they are and then considering the evidence of how others behave, think and act; I don't redefine the system to suit niche categorisation requirements. So no, I was not surprised when you raised alternate avenues as a getout close to the problem.

Respect, but take on board that the system gels for a reason, someone who is an Ni dom is distinctly different from an Fi dom; especially when Se is the anima against Te as the anima.

Last edited:
[MENTION=3473]InvisibleJim[/MENTION] You have a CRAZY understanding of cognitive functions, and an acute awareness of human behavior that boggles my mind. Since you will not marry me, will you consider transfering your knowledge to me via osmosis, diffusion, or any method you prefer? Please and thank you. :)

[MENTION=3473]InvisibleJim[/MENTION] You have a CRAZY understanding of cognitive functions, and an acute awareness of human behavior that boggles my mind. Since you will not marry me, will you consider transfering your knowledge to me via osmosis, diffusion, or any method you prefer?

Sometimes the most generous and kindest thing to do is to do nothing. :)

Weak Pe means directly adapting to new information is difficult, and thus familiarity is preferred so that less reacting
needs to be done. P types are often less organised, but they don't have to be organised. Strong Pe lets them
spontaneously react to new situations - doing so is even enjoyable.

Are you insulting me? Please clarify.

Oooooooh.... Thank you. Such a gentleman to protect me. :) *hugs*

I was playing the game Mastermind (with the colored pins) and I knew the answer without thinking. My INTP friend would probably be able to explain the "why" using logic.

Someone in this thread called it "being pointed to the right direction" or so. You could probably also call it a "Eureka" moment, a hunch. Somehow it's a sudden and split-second insight about something, it's the realisation that all pieces of the puzzle have been aligned into one complete thing.

It could be the main outline of a film plot, the insight that someone is lying, the feeling that a project will fail, a solution to a math problem etc.

Last edited:
[MENTION=4137]technics[/MENTION] i like this description...

That, that's why INFJ could have problem with firm attitudes sometimes. Whene people are arguing for example. You can see problem from bot sides.

One would argue that since Ni perceives the many outcomes and then collates to a single perceived inner solution that this is not the case. The alternate viewpoints are merely Ni trying to wrangle it all into a cohesive viewpoint. But Ni is perhaps a mystery to the user as much as to the onlooker attempting to observe it.

It's the realisation that all pieces of the puzzle have been aligned into one complete thing..

Yes it is, it's where the perception of ideas indicates a 'single' point of perception based upon the available perceptions.

Reactions: grt$5vb
I'm backtracking a bit and not remaining specific to Ni and Si but discussing intuition versus sensation in general, in the hope that putting this in my own words will help. Are we saying that intuition perceives the world via the unconscious while sensation perceives via the conscious? My sense has always been that sensors are somehow more present in their observation of the world while intuitives seem to perceive the world mainly in the background to their more conscious thoughts. (As a result the intuitive can solve problems unconsciously while giving the appearance that they've snatched the solution from thin air).

I compare this to vision. At this moment, I am focused consciously on the screen however, my mind perceives other input from my peripheral vision, hearing and so on. It is my sense that sensors are more focused on these perceptions as a whole while intuitives tend to drift off elsewhere, still perceiving but not focused on it consciously. Also, I believe myself to be intuitive so I will use my own observation. I find in myself a tendency to zone out from the concrete world. I am obviously still perceiving it because I'm able to navigate my environment but I've somehow separated from it. I can make myself be consciously aware of my environment but I tire easily and will return at the first chance to my previous state. It seems to me that sensors don't often make this disconnection though they are not incapable. Am I correct in making this correlation?

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
I'm backtracking a bit and not remaining specific to Ni and Si but discussing intuition versus sensation in general, in the hope that putting this in my own words will help. Are we saying that intuition perceives the world via the unconscious while sensation perceives via the conscious?

No, the inferior/tertiary functions are in the subconscious (ID) the further down the chain you go. Therefore the 'Sensing function' for an intuitive is 'primal', is instinctive and subconscious. Moreover, the conscious ego 'Intuitive function' is complex, elaborate and in the conscious foreground. The opposite is true for a Sensing dominant.

The information 'type' dealt with from Intuition is the management of ideas, the information 'type' dealt with from Sensing is the management of sensory information.

No, the inferior/tertiary functions are in the subconscious (ID) the further down the chain you go. Therefore the 'Sensing function' for an intuitive is 'primal', is instinctive and subconscious. Moreover, the conscious ego 'Intuitive function' is complex, elaborate and in the conscious foreground. The opposite is true for a Sensing dominant.

The information 'type' dealt with from Intuition is the management of ideas, the information 'type' dealt with from Sensing is the management of sensory information.

Thanks. If I need to break out another thread let me know because I'm having some difficulty with this. Okay, so consciousness, in this context, could be compared to a gradient, on one end the conscious and the other end the subconscious. The sensor's sensing function in the conscious and the intuition in the subconscious. This is reversed for the intuitive.

Here is the issue I'm having. These are perception functions so I assume this is the means by which we become aware of our internal and external environment. Do I misunderstand what is meant by perception in this context?

I can understand the intuitive perceiving ideas about their internal environment directly, since ideas spontaneously arise but, I can't comprehend how they would perceive ideas about the external environment without first processing sensory data. I understand that intuitives are more comfortable with dealing with abstractions of the environment but underlying that must be the raw sensory data even if it is combined with their own internal ideas so rapidly not to be easily noticeable. This leads me to think that there must be some pathway or level of communication between the sensing and the intuition which for some reason is preferred by the intuitive. Is it that these functions are simply acting in concert and so we have a difficulty defining where one starts and one ends? If that is the case then how can we even begin to think about them individually? If they are so intertwined then the examples must become muddled by the influence of the other functions.

On the other hand, an argument could be made that all understanding of at least the physical world is a form of abstraction and that we are incapable of comprehending anything but an abstracted form regardless of being a sensor or an intuitive, in which case the difference between sensors and intuitives would be the degree to which they are comfortable with abstraction. I suppose the intuitive having their intuition seated in the conscious means that they naturally delve into deeper layers of abstraction than the sensor who has more comfort with lower levels of abstraction. I just have a really difficult time accepting that sensors are dealing with raw data and if they are not, what is it then? Even the consideration of an object requires abstraction. Physics teaches us that the physical world we see around us, is in some sense an illusion and not as "solid" as we perceive it to be. Where do you draw the line and say this is sensory perception and this is intuitive perception in that context? In one instance, could you say a sensor names an object and tends to accept it as it is named? (Even an object and its naming is an idea. We do not perceive the true nature of the object.) While the intuitive naturally adds layers of abstraction and symbolism to the object. The problem is, that I think everyone does this to varying degrees. I'm terribly confused. Am I just barking up the entirely wrong tree and mixing in ideas from unrelated disciplines?

What I really should have asked is what is the definition of sensory information versus intuitive information? I have even noticed that we can name intuitive information as ideas. What is the corresponding name for sensory information?

Last edited:
Reactions: AUM

while you may be somewhat right-- jung calls Ni/Ne the collective unconscious. so you're getting your ego's information through the unconscious, as opposed to Se/Si from your senses, in the conscious area-- an Ne/Ni user still has a judgement function to express their unconscious, so no need to think that the ego is solely conscious, and the further your functions go down, the farther it gets into the unconscious.

Reactions: not sure
jung calls Ni/Ne the collective unconscious.

I don't think N is the identification of purely collective shape and iconology which was how Jung used the term; although I have seen people try to associate Ni with the iconology phenomenon.

I don't think N is the identification of purely collective shape and iconology which was how Jung used the term; although I have seen people try to associate Ni with the iconology phenomenon.
what i got out of what he said was that Ni/Ne is the process of using certain parts of the collective unconscious to do said description--

what i got out of what he said was that Ni/Ne is the process of using certain parts of the collective unconscious to do said description--

He identifies all of the archetypes as the collective unconscious...

Reactions: Kmal
http://www.carl-jung.net/collective_unconscious.html
mmm ok interesting. our ego, superego and all that must be our conscious expression of the collective unconscious. that makes sense-- that would, however, leave Ni as a conscious expression of the collective unconscious, same with Se, and the other information gathering functions.

http://www.carl-jung.net/collective_unconscious.html
mmm ok interesting. our ego, superego and all that must be our conscious expression of the collective unconscious. that makes sense-- that would, however, leave Ni as a conscious expression of the collective unconscious, same with Se, and the other information gathering functions. it is a part of the system, it is not the system.

Yup, it's kind of complex like how Beebe goes on about 'conacting the subconscious anima' in dream states to integrate the collective sub(un)-conscious.