Ethics of donating eggs..... | INFJ Forum

Ethics of donating eggs.....

jupiterswoon

Permanent Fixture
Mar 30, 2012
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
Would you donate eggs for $7000 dollars? How would you feel about the ethics of such an act?

can’t. too old. :m194:

but to answer your question... money comes and goes and there are other ways of making 7K imo... i’ve never known anyone who has done this but i dunno... i kinda doubt that the majority of people who donate their eggs do so to genuinely help some person bring a child in this world... i would only imagine doing something like this for someone i knew very well who had the means of raising a child properly... but to do something like that for a stranger? srsly, i wouldn’t let just any random stranger take care of my dog overnight let alone my potential spawn... i would imagine most people would do it for the money and that just doesn’t sit right with me... but i’m not judging... it’s hard to make a buck these days, i get it... plus i don’t have kids and consider myself a non-breeder so yeah, doing it for the money would hardly be worth it... plus the possibility of having my potential spawn come knocking at my door in 18 years would be way weeeeiiirrrrdddd~

That would really bug me if someone got pregnant from my eggs before I had the chance to have a child. However, I understand the altruistic intent of those who genuinely want to help a couple have children. However, I would likely not feel comfortable because I would always feel as if the child is mine and somehow gave it away. It may not make sense to feel this but that's what I would likely feel if I went through with it.

This pretty much sums up my views on the whole thing:

http://www.eggsploitation.com/

The artificial insemination/ egg donation industry is super problematic.

Why call it a donation if you charge for it?

can you imagine going around implanting your eggs into other women while they sleep at night. it would be a crazy female homewrecker fantasy. a genetic diversity free-for-all.

guys i think im gonna do it.

hide yo kids hide yo wife

Reactions: invisible
I think the world is crazy enough, and people don't want to wake up!
Ethics...this is a relative term onece we even discuss this possibility! Ethics means opinion on moral matters. So, should we give our opinion?

Is this for women who want to give birth or want their child to still be partly their partner's?

Donation is giving for free, no? This sounds more like...selling.

I wouldn't like it unless I knew I'd never wonder what they're up to (or if they have grown at all). But there are places here where you can be contacted down the line if your spermatoza bombastica is used to make new people. I can't know I wouldn't think about it too. It's still a connection to me so unless I could properly sever that, legally and psychologically, I'd try to find other ways of acquiring moolah.

I think the world is crazy enough, and people don't want to wake up!
Ethics...this is a relative term onece we even discuss this possibility! Ethics means opinion on moral matters. So, should we give our opinion?

Actually, you're wrong. Ethics is not about your opinion or how you feel about something. Ethics is about philosophy; it's a systematic and rational approach to the concept of "good" and "bad" actions.

Considering everyone else is just posting their opinion, however, I guess I'll chime in with my male opinion and say sure, why not? Yeah, there are health concerns with the process, certainly, but outside of that, I don't see why it wouldn't just be a question of whether or not you feel like it. I would say that it's not something I would do except altruistically, as material concerns invariably affect my judgement. Any fetus created by your eggs is genetically related to you, sure, but not biologically. Not socially. By the time it's born, the mother has more in common with the baby than the donor. Feeling possessive about it is silly.

Actually, you're wrong. Ethics is not about your opinion or how you feel about something. Ethics is about philosophy; it's a systematic and rational approach to the concept of "good" and "bad" actions.
I know the ortodhox sense of the word ethics. Hovewer, there is 'modern' sense, especially among wanna-be philosophers and internet folks, where ethics usually means opinion on moral matters. Its also a way to ease-up the heavy and weighty sense of the concept 'moral'. So when people say ethics, they say let's play with morality like childrens.

Note: This has nothing to do with the OP.

how else do you think I'm starting my army?

I love the show CSI and there was an episode about some young woman who got killed because she had chosen to impregnate herself with "frozen embryos" and had a kid. There was this religious group who found "homes" for unwanted or unused embryos from couples. What always stuck me as funny was that the fictional group said they were looking for women who wanted to adopt children in the "embryotic stage of development". That still gives me a chuckle....

I doubt I could let someone harvest my eggs for cash. I don't have any fancy explanation for why, but instinctually, it feels wrong.

If I had to feed my children and I could help somebody out at the same type I can't see why not.

I would if I didn't want children of my own and researched/found a reputable doctor to do it. As for the ethics of the act..... who cares? It would be my personal choice and I would have to go into it knowing the negative consequences of it. If you mean the act itself of donating eggs....well... I'll save it for conservatives to have a frenzy over it. They're my ovaries and I can choose to do with them as I want.

We're not even allowed to help baby sea turtles get off the beach most of the time, because there are so few that interfering with them could harm their delicate balance of survival [carrying that weak sea turtle that can't make it to the water could be bad because if it actually survives and has a whole clutch of weak turtle babies, the turtles are screwed in the long run.

But people think we can give away eggs just because somebody WANTS to have babies? In this world where there's already too many people? Especially when a lot of children need adopting as well?

I hate to be the one to say this but... if you can't have your own babies that probably means you shouldn't. "But I want! I WAAAANT!" Well some times shit's more important than what you want.

I hate to be the one to say this but... if you can't have your own babies that probably means you shouldn't. "But I want! I WAAAANT!" Well some times shit's more important than what you want.

and that is why we have a poop thread o. O
sorry, it is 2 A.M.