Empathy | INFJ Forum

Empathy

Nixie

Resurrected
Aug 23, 2010
Oregon
MBTI
ENTP
I found this in LiveScience not too long ago.

Humans may have a sixth sense after all, suggests a new study finding that a protein in the human retina, when placed into fruit flies, has the ability to detect magnetic fields.
The researchers caution that the results suggest this human protein has the capability to [colour=darkgreen]work[/colour] as a magnetosensor; however, whether or not humans use it in that way is not known.

"It poses the question, 'maybe we should rethink about this sixth sense,'" Steven Reppert, of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, told LiveScience. "It is thought to be very important for how animals migrate. Perhaps this protein is also fulfilling an important function for sensing magnetic fields in humans."

Past research has suggested that in addition to helping animals such as sea turtles and migratory birds navigate, the ability to detect magnetic fields could help with visual spatial perception. Reppert said to picture a magnetic-field coordinate system overlaid on objects we view. [7 Amazing Superhuman Abilities]

"It may aid how animals perceive how objects are in time and space in a way we haven't thought about before," said Reppert, who is a neurobiologist.

Animals' magnetic sense is thought to rely on special proteins called cryptochromes, which are also found in the human retina. While past behavioral research has suggested humans can't sense magnetic fields, with studies showing such a capability remaining controversial, there is evidence that geomagnetism affects the light system in our eyes.
To see if humans perhaps possessed this other sense, Reppert and his colleagues tested wild fruit flies, with their cryptochromes intact, and those that had their own cryptochromes replaced with the human version of the protein.

They placed the fruit flies into a T-shaped maze, with each arm equipped with a coil wrapped in such a way that when a current was sent through it, the coil became magnetized. The team varied which side was magnetized and its strength, which went up to eight times that of Earth's magnetic field.

The flies with the human cryptochromes showed sensitivity to the magnetic fields — either avoiding them as they might naturally do if not acclimated to the magnetism, or showing a preference for the magnetized arm of the maze when trained with sugar rewards to go toward the magnetic field.
The human protein only worked in the blue range of light, the researchers found.
The research is detailed in the June 21 issue of the journal Nature Communications.

Contrary to what has been posted in another thread, as an INTJ, I do believe in Empathy. While I have seen various definitions, I am speaking about feeling like you have the ability to sense another person's emotions.

I read this article and it made some sense in the idea of where empathy might come from. To me, all things have energy and I think that Empaths are adept at sensing and interpreting energy fields being given off by other people. I thought it would make sense if this was related to having the abilty to sense magnetic fields. Perhaps in some people the ability to sense magnetic energy is stronger.

I have also read theories (briefly) about some other sense, believed to be housed in the nose, in pre-historic (before speech) that enabled humans to communicate. This theory really didn't resonate with me.

However, I do believe it is possible for someone to be an Empath (as defined above). I think it is a combination of being able to sense emotional energy and being perceptive of subtle body language/clues.

On a personal note, my level of empathy has made it difficult to be in large crowds because it feels like being assaulted.

However, I do believe it is possible for someone to be an Empath (as defined above). I think it is a combination of being able to sense emotional energy and being perceptive of subtle body language/clues.

On a personal note, my level of empathy has made it difficult to be in large crowds because it feels like being assaulted.

+1.

I think this sense is often confused for the ability to read body language. Not sure it is for everyone, but the way I've experienced it is that I feel overload of emotions when I am around people. I agree that it feels like an assault on your senses. You don't know where your feelings or emotions begin and their's ends. It melds into one. Sometimes, I'm not sure if what I am sensing is my feelings or their impressions. This is where checking perceptions comes in. It helps if you can check perceptions with another intuitive or else you feel a bit crazy thinking that it's just you.

Sometimes, I have feelings and emotions and I'm not sure whether they're mine especially if they persist.

It took me a long time to acknowledge that I felt more regarding other's emotions than I rationally should. I think it is one of the main reasons why I am not like a typical INTJ. I really mean it when I say I can understand your pain. I can usually tell the differnce between mine and other's because other's feel like "echos". I don't have any better language to describe it. It is a more hollow pinging feeling.

I have a very strong empathy for others, which is why I don't really like going to parties/huge events with lots of people.
Their emotions all attack me at once, and my mind and body can feel overwhelmed by all that excitement/grief/whatever the dominating emotion is.

I often times have to ask myself, "is this what I'm really feeling?"

Reactions: #@&5&49
Here's an interesting site which defines different types of empathy:

Empathy: From Activating Evolution
Empathy or Emotional Perception is the mental ability to feel or experience the emotions of others. One could use this to figure out how someone is feeling, to understand why someone does what they do, etc. This can be used to determine the presence of hidden subjects as well, because the user can sense the presence of emotions, and trace them back to their source (this is called Empathic Tracking). However, sometimes the user can also (or only) project his emotions onto others, to get them to feel as he feels (this is called Empathic Projection). In some cases, the user might even be capable of literally seeing people’s hopes, fears, desires and thoughts by connecting with them on a profound level.

Variations:

Behavior Projection is a variation of Empathy in which the user can project behaviors instead of emotion. One with this ability, upon feeling a certain emotion, can cause subjects in proximity to adopt behavior which accommodates that emotion, such as boredom, gloom or infatuation (even stupidity). However, not always is the projected behavior one of the user’ choice; in some cases, the behavior the subject takes on is based on their gender, race, age, etc., while other cases imply that the user only has one particular behavior in his repertoire.
  • Note: If accomplished by touch instead of empathic interaction, the ability is instead referred to as Contagious Behavior or Contagion.
Contagion
• Contagion is the ability to mentally pass on a character trait from oneself to someone else. Similar to Empathic Projection in which one can project emotion, one with this ability instead passes on character traits, such as boredom, gloom, infatuation or even stupidity and vulnerability to sickness. Not to mention, the person to whom a character trait is passed onto can also pass on the trait to someone else (although the effect the trait has on anyone is only temporary). The only shortcoming is that the one who passes on the character trait usually has the trait himself (though this is not always the case).
Empathic Amplification
Empathic Amplification, also called Emotion Amplification, Emotion Amplifying or Emotion Heightening is a variation of Empathic Projection in which one can amplify a subject’s current emotions, instead of inducing a new emotion. One with this ability can make angry people irate, make fearful people hysterical and paranoid, and make unhappy people depressed to the point of suicide. The user could even heighten the subject’s emotions to the point that they are incapable of functioning at all. This ability is often accompanied by another empathic ability.
Empathic Resonance
Empathic Resonance, also called Empathic Charm or Empathic Charisma is the ability to psychically establish an empathic link with any subject(s); parties involved can understand each other and become friends or allies almost instantly. The established empathic link is harmless (it may only last as long as needed), but it makes the user nearly incapable of making enemies (unless the ability is suppressed, or the user tries to use it on a perspicuous mind). In some cases, if foes try to strike the user, even complete strangers would come to the user’s defense.
Fear Sense
• Fear Sense, also called Fear Sensing or Fear/Phobia Perception is a variation of Empathy, in which one can only perceive doubt, fear and phobia. Either the user can only tell if a subject is afraid (the intensity of the fear, etc.), or they can actually intuit things that subjects are afraid of (not often can the user do both). One with this ability could use it to easily unnerve opponents (even in social situations), perhaps perceive presences by sensing traces of fear, and the like. This ability may accompany Phobic Vampirism.
Musical Empathic Projection
• Musical Empathic Projection is the psychic ability to project emotions based on the songs one plays. One with this ability can play a song (on an instrument, or some sort of music player), and whatever emotion that song conveys, can be projected onto the subject. This ability can make masses of subjects lovesick, depressed, angry, overly-happy, or the like. Not to mention, it also psychically connects the subject’s feelings to the song, so they want to hear it more, and when they can no longer hear it, their emotions temporarily short-circuit (the subjects go numb).
•Sometimes the user must hear the song, and projects the emotion that the song makes him feel (regardless of whether or not that was the song’s true intention); for example; if a sad song makes the user feel annoyed, then he could project that feeling of annoyance onto others.

Perception
• Perception is the psychic ability to look at the facial expressions to figure out with someone is thinking or feeling. One with this ability can read people without people knowing, or psycologically profile people just with a sample of their handwriting

Tactile Empathy
• Tactile Empathy, also called Touch Empathy, Empathic Power, Empathic Force, Empathic Influence or Empathic Effect is a variation of Empathy in which the user must touch his subjects to interact with their emotions. When the subject and user make physical contact, an empathic bond is established. As a result, the subject’s empathic defenses (any chance of resisting that he has) are cancelled or at least severely impaired, so that his emotions can be easily perceived and altered. This ability may even allow the user to mentally dominate affected subjects.
• This ability may accompany normal Empathy or some other empathic ability, so that the user can choose between perceiving and altering the emotions of everyone within his radius, or only affecting one or a few people.
  • Note: This ability is also referred to as Empathic Manipulation, but this term can cause the ability to be confused with Emotion Manipulation (the ability Pathokinesis).
Telepathic Empathy
• Telepathic Empathy is the ability to perceive emotions, but with the emotions expressed as though they were thoughts. One with this ability can read emotions of any kind, like a normal empath, but they must be expressed through verbal thought wave manifestations (the subject must think something like “I’m so mad!” or “I can’t believe she did that!”). The user can project emotions in the same fashion; instead of projecting emotions (like normal Empathy) the user can project thoughts which convey a certain emotion, and the like.
Telempathy
• Telempathy, also called Tele-Empathy is the psychic ability to communicate with another subject via emotion instead of by thought. One with this ability could convey the same messages as one with the power Telepathy (including changing a subject’s mind by associating a certain emotion with a certain idea or opinion, receiving/transmitting emotions to communicate, overloading foes with emotions instead of thoughts, etc.), except the message is a bit more vague. This ability may be accompanied by normal Empathy.
Twin Empathy
• Twin Empathy is the emotional connection between twin siblings. One with this ability can empathically sense when their twin is in danger, how their twin is feeling, and can channel any sensations and emotions that their twin is feeling, along with all of the other faculties that go along with empathic connection (like their abilities). The user however, may also feel the pains if their sibling is hurt (and might even die if their sibling dies).

http://theories.activatingevolution.org/swiki/wiki/index.php/Empathy

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting article, thanks [MENTION=1669]Rite[/MENTION]

Do you believe in empathic healing? The use of the empathic gift to assist someone understand/resolve their emotional issues?

Interesting article, thanks @Rite

Do you believe in empathic healing? The use of the empathic gift to assist someone understand/resolve their emotional issues?

Not really a fan of the "psychic" definitions of empathy. But I think it's fair to say that when you empathize with someone's feelings or situation, and express that so they feel supported and comforted, it can do a lot to ease stress, tension, and discomfort. Empathy is one of the most powerful tools I use in teaching. Students feel more comfortable and confident in their ability to complete assignments when they feel that you understand who they are and acknowledge how they feel, understand, or interact. When you express such understanding and acceptance, they sometimes tend to be more responsive. It doesn't always work as it's very easy to take advantage of someone who is too empathetic or sympathetic. So, it's a fine line.

I ask because I think many people become confused about what the root emotion is they are expressing/feeling. Like talking with someone and they are all focused on how "sad" they are but you really know they are angry. Or how how "happy" they are but you feel they are anxious. In a way a good shrink will ferret this stuff out but I don't think they get such a strong sense of knowing they got it right unlike someone who is relatively sure they know what you are feeling.

I ask because I think many people become confused about what the root emotion is they are expressing/feeling. Like talking with someone and they are all focused on how "sad" they are but you really know they are angry. Or how how "happy" they are but you feel they are anxious. In a way a good shrink will ferret this stuff out but I don't think they get such a strong sense of knowing they got it right unlike someone who is relatively sure they know what you are feeling.

Yeah, I respond to the underlying emotion which catches people off because they think you're responding to their surface emotion when you're actually reacting to the underlying feeling or attitude. They assume their true feeling are not obvious or hidden when you're picked up on it fairly well. It's interesting. It's funny when people think they've hidden their emotions when all you see is those same underlying emotions exploding and blasting in front of you.

Reactions: #@&5&49 and Nixie
Empathy is not something to be used with certainty. Just because you empathize with someone does not mean they will feel better or get over with whatever it is they are troubled about. They have to make the decision on their own.

Reactions: Gaze
Yeah, I respond to the underlying emotion which catches people off because they think you're responding to their surface emotion when you're actually reacting to the underlying feeling or attitude. They assume their true feeling are not obvious or hidden when you're picked up on it fairly well. It's interesting. It's funny when people think they've hidden their emotions when all you see is those same underlying emotions exploding and blasting in front of you.

I agree with this, and people are often caught off guard in this type of situation. They get defensive and try to cover up how they are failing, but it's just there in the open.

Reactions: Gaze
I agree with this, and people are often caught off guard in this type of situation. They get defensive and try to cover up how they are failing, but it's just there in the open.
What if they feel invalidated, because the "empath" is projecting their interpretation of the situation onto the speaker?

Someone may understand the psychological element of emotions, but you can't say what someone else's feelings actually feel like to them. You may be able to pick up cues based on your own experience or previous feedback of a similar situation.. Most people know what denial looks and sounds like.

I'm not a big fan of the whole, "I feel your feelings and I know what you are feeling better than you do" thing. Too presumptuous.

When I empathize with someone it is based on a commonality. I can imagine how I would feel in such and such a situation, or I've been through it... But even then, I wouldn't say that what I feel is exactly to the degree of what the other feels, and/or that it carries the same undertones of other emotions.

Also, maybe I'm daft, but I'm not understanding how magnetosensing translates into catching feelings. Are you suggesting that feelings and thoughts are like magnetic fields that emanate from people and empaths are more susceptible to intercepting and interpreting these?

I think it's safest to assume for now, that empathy is based off of commonality and non-verbal communication. It is natural in non-verbal communication for people to mirror one another... so it makes sense that certain body language, tone, and expression would evoke a similar response in others.. but that has more to do with the social and communal nature of people.

It makes sense that humans, like other animals, would have an innate magnetosensing ability..but I don't see any reason to believe that a person's personal thoughts and feelings radiate outside of their head like radio waves that only certain people 'tuned' in can interpret.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peppermint
What if they feel invalidated, because the "empath" is projecting their interpretation of the situation onto the speaker?

Someone may understand the psychological element of emotions, but you can't say what someone else's feelings actually feel like to them. You may be able to pick up cues based on your own experience or previous feedback of a similar situation.. Most people know what denial looks and sounds like.

I'm not a big fan of the whole, "I feel your feelings and I know what you are feeling better than you do" thing. Too presumptuous.

When I empathize with someone it is based on a commonality. I can imagine how I would feel in such and such a situation, or I've been through it... But even then, I wouldn't say that what I feel is exactly to the degree of what the other feels, and/or that it carries the same undertones of other emotions.

Also, maybe I'm daft, but I'm not understanding how magnetosensing translates into catching feelings. Are you suggesting that feelings and thoughts are like magnetic fields that emanate from people and empaths are more susceptible to intercepting and interpreting these?

I think it's safest to assume for now, that empathy is based off of commonality and non-verbal communication. It is natural in non-verbal communication for people to mirror one another... so it makes sense that certain body language, tone, and expression would evoke a similar response in others.. but that has more to do with the social and communal nature of people.

It makes sense that humans, like other animals, would have an innate magnetosensing ability..but I don't see any reason to believe that a person's personal thoughts and feelings radiate outside of their head like radio waves that only certain people 'tuned' in can interpret.

I agree that we have to be aware of difference between true empathy and projection. But some people do tend to perceive underlying feelings and motivations better than others, and in that sense we are perceiving what is there and not projecting what isn't. I'm not going to argue that there won't be situations where we think we perceive what's there, only to learn later that we were really just projecting. However, those who truly perceive usually have some evidence which confirms their perception, assuming of course they are not engaging in confirmation bias. @acd

I agree that we have to be aware of difference between true empathy and projection. But some people do tend to perceive underlying feelings and motivations better than others, and in that sense we are perceiving what is there and not projecting what isn't. I'm not going to argue that there won't be situations where we think we perceive what's there, only to learn later that we were really just projecting. However, those who truly perceive usually have some evidence which confirms their perception, assuming of course they are not engaging in confirmation bias. @acd
By what means (in bolded)?
I don't disagree that some people are more discerning or emotionally intelligent than others.. but I am just saying that I do not think that it is through clairsentience, but by being open to non-verbal cues and in touch with one's own emotions.

I like this site on empathy: http://eqi.org/empathy.htm

And, when it comes to being overwhelmed by the emotions of too many people to the point where one has a hard time differentiating between their perceptions and others whether it be strangers in public a roomful of family or acquaintances or something.. I think that has more to do with lack of personal boundaries.

I'll be honest, psychic talk does frustrate me because I think that it undercuts a true understanding of our relationships with others. There exists an entire field of study on communication worth looking into to gain insight. Most of us can improve our empathetic skills if we learn about interpersonal and intrapersonal communication... chalking it up to undocumented fields of emotional energy that certain people just happen to pick up on detracts from encouraging growth in our interactions with others.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
[MENTION=3096]NDN NT[/MENTION] magnetic fields = vibrations so it seems

it's pretty interesting. I wonder if you can manipulate yours? Some people's are stronger because they just happen to be, or they strengthened them consicously or unconsciously?

Exactly... I work at a big box club on the weekends doing demos of the food products and as people walk up I can feel what they are feeling and when the store is too crowded I feel like I want to run out screaming... lol "assaulted" is an appropriate word. One of my INFJ friends work with me and has the same overwhelming feelings, we have known each other for years and talked about feeling claustrophobic at times, but when we learned a while back we were both INFJ's it all made complete sense.

You all have no idea how great it feels to finally know I am not imagining all of this... It brings tears to my eyes...

By what means (in bolded)?
I don't disagree that some people are more discerning or emotionally intelligent than others.. but I am just saying that I do not think that it is through clairsentience, but by being open to non-verbal cues and in touch with one's own emotions.

I like this site on empathy: http://eqi.org/empathy.htm

And, when it comes to being overwhelmed by the emotions of too many people to the point where one has a hard time differentiating between their perceptions and others whether it be strangers in public a roomful of family or acquaintances or something.. I think that has more to do with lack of personal boundaries.

I'll be honest, psychic talk does frustrate me because I think that it undercuts a true understanding of our relationships with others. There exists an entire field of study on communication worth looking into to gain insight. Most of us can improve our empathetic skills if we learn about interpersonal and intrapersonal communication... chalking it up to undocumented fields of emotional energy that certain people just happen to pick up on detracts from encouraging growth in our interactions with others.
I'm sorry if I'm being presumptuous but if you're INFP this would be how empathy would be perceived because of Fi, internal feeling being the main function of choice. My ENFP husband can put himself in everyone's shoes and is very warm because of this. He's warm precisely I think because he intuits what's up (EDIT: external non verbal cues=Ne) and can draw up a memory of his own feelings and thus empathize.
I think Fe is more of a perceiving faculty. Ni driven people have a huge construct of intuitional info, let's say in my case I've come to a point where I draw conclusions that there is an underlying goodness and kindness inherent in the universe, With my Fe I perceive subtle "energy fluctuations" or atmospheres for the want of a better description. When I come accross someone who is secretly anguished (which I feel by feeling similarly anguished myself in their presence)my Ni created structure will steer me to help them and by directing the scene in subtle ways I can sometimes change that feeling to a positive one. That's how I understand it. It's hard to put it into words though.

[MENTION=1669]Ame[/MENTION]
Most art would fall under the category of empathic influence. Artists are often trying to transmit and interpret a mood or a feeling in appropriate symbology or color, texture, sound. That was a really interesting post with all the definitions. Thank you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: