Empathy and Movies | INFJ Forum

Empathy and Movies

Diana

Donor
Oct 25, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
Sometimes when I'm watching a movie that has violence I tend to wince because I feel a shadow of the pain the character is going through on screen.
It has to be a pretty slow graphic and seemingly realistic scene for it to have that effect.
Like watching someone getting beaten in a movie or tv show. I cover my face and am like ow ow ow.
Does anyone else relate to this?

I feel the same way, it makes me really anxious to see someone being hurt. I can't watch most horror because of this.

I have the same thing but with emotional drama in movies. I get so involved sometimes, that I continue to feel sad for hours after watching it.

I feel the same way, it makes me really anxious to see someone being hurt. I can't watch most horror because of this.

I can watch campy horror movies because everything is kinda fake and silly.
I do like horror movies but I can't watch anything with a zombie in it. Zombies give me the willies.

I like psychological thrillers the best.

I have the same thing but with emotional drama in movies. I get so involved sometimes, that I continue to feel sad for hours after watching it.

Oh, yeah that happens to me too.

I cover my eyes when someone is doing something embarrassing in movies/tv shows. I get embarrassed for them.

It is why I can't stand watching gory movies or horror movies.
I feel a little depressed after watching them.

Except for zombie movies for some reason.. probably because they are so fantastical..
But I don't like the Saw movies or Hostel or anything like that. Just movies of people being tortured and killed. Disgusting.

Sometimes when I'm watching a movie that has violence I tend to wince because I feel a shadow of the pain the character is going through on screen.
It has to be a pretty slow graphic and seemingly realistic scene for it to have that effect.
Like watching someone getting beaten in a movie or tv show. I cover my face and am like ow ow ow.
Does anyone else relate to this?

I'm more or less desensitized to violence in movies.

Also, mirror neurons ftw! =D

Last edited:
Not really, it's just a movie.
I however feel bad for animals when they get hurt in movies :(

If it's something that's really happening, like I watched a documentary on slaughterhouses and how cruel it was so yes I did feel really bad. :(
Same for Haiti, but I don't really understand why people takes pictures of people dying instead of saving them o_o

I thought this scene was pretty brutal:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0ygXw3mxRs&feature=related"]YouTube - jessica alba punched[/ame]

I liked the movie though.

I thought this scene was pretty brutal:

YouTube - jessica alba punched

I liked the movie though.

He punched her dead/unconscious and she didn't lift a finger to try and defend herself? Unless her character's been conditioned through a history of domestic violence to respond passively or something I just don't see that happening, and her "why are you doing this" statement implies that she's not used to being beat up (by him anyway).

Also, would've been more realistic if the punching sounds weren't so "squishy" and were more "thud like"; it sorta sounds like she has no bones in her face :/

He punched her dead/unconscious and she didn't lift a finger to try and defend herself? Unless her character's been conditioned through a history of domestic violence to respond passively or something I just don't see that happening, and her "why are you doing this" statement implies that she's not used to being beat up (by him anyway).

Also, would've been more realistic if the punching sounds weren't so "squishy" and were more "thud like"; it sorta sounds like she has no bones in her face :/

They played kinky sex games.

Besides, this is from a movie.
'The killer inside me'.
I really liked it.

Can I just take a moment to be totally amused by you taking apart the little details of this scene that aren't real enough, because this is exactly what my INTP husband does with almost every movie I watch with him. Even the ones he likes. I think he honestly can't help himself.

Physically violence doesn't bother me much, even though it probably should. Emotional torment or drama tends to wound me horribly. If I watch something very emotional it must provide either a happen ending or something that helps others to avoid that journey/outcome. I am hypersensitive to animals being hurt/abused/neglected.

I have a tendency to get embarrassed for others and turn away from that emotion more than anything. For this reason I have never watched American Idol. I don't think it's funny to humiliate those who truly believe they have a talent. I find it cruel.

I feel embarassed all the time for stuff in movies. I really can't stand so called Reality TV because of the cringe factor--plus knowing it is basically contrived in many ways.

I am pretty sentimental and don't mind sniffling at really good movies. It is called a Willing Suspension of Disbelief when you watch Theatre or Movies and allow yourself to feel the emotions of the story. (Taken lots of Theatre classes) So I allow myself to suspend my disbelief and go with the flow.

However, when something really stupid or really over the top, doesn't look real happens my Te clicks into overdrive and I start to pick the movie apart. I also can't stand lousy acting which is totally subjective on my part.

Edit: It would make sense that INFJ's wouldn't have too much difficulty suspending their disbelief and are better at putting themselves into someone else's shoes--making the experience doubly intense. Just a thought.

Last edited:

I cover my eyes when someone is doing something embarrassing in movies/tv shows. I get embarrassed for them.

Agree.

I have a tendency to get embarrassed for others and turn away from that emotion more than anything. For this reason I have never watched American Idol. I don't think it's funny to humiliate those who truly believe they have a talent. I find it cruel.

strongly agree

Can I just take a moment to be totally amused by you taking apart the little details of this scene that aren't real enough, because this is exactly what my INTP husband does with almost every movie I watch with him. Even the ones he likes. I think he honestly can't help himself.

Lol, ah yeah it's the automatic inner skeptic in us INTPs that makes us do that...
I'll just go hide under a rock now >_>

Lol, ah yeah it's the automatic inner skeptic in us INTPs that makes us do that...
I do that too. Haha >.>
Just watched Prince of Persia, and I missed a part of the movie thinking about how it was obvious than the city was just a big poster and trying to figure out why. So it's not only INTPs lol :p Sorry if I kind of broke your mini INTP-That-Complains-About-Movies Cult

LOL I'm sorry if I made you feel awkward. I <3 INTPs, when I notice similarities in the ones I know it just kind of makes me grin. XD

:mhula:

~

In regards to the OP, I am very empathetic. Not so much to physical pain, as has been mentioned. Although if it is intense enough it will disturb me deeply, certain scenes from American History X come to mind. Also can't stand watching movies in which people are constantly making asses of themselves because I just feel sorry for them, I can't find it funny. And I so agree about shows like American Idol. I hate them, and I don't understand how people can find it funny to point and laugh at someone who went up on a stage to be scrutinized, all whilst totally scared shitless, on national television, just to get told off and made to feel like crap by the likes of someone like Simon Cowell.

When I watched Up for the first time I bawled like a little baby. I had some major post partum hormones going on since I had just had my son a week ago, which didn't help at all, but I was deeply emotionally pained by the first part of that movie. It was such a touching sweet movie, but I can imagine the sort of loss he must have felt all too well, and I just sobbed so hard I shook. My poor husband felt bad lol he kept saying "we can turn it off we don't have to watch it!!"...but noooo I'm a glutton for punishment. So I finished it. And I'm glad I did, even though I needed a lot of kleenex. :p

Also, does anyone remember that movie Powder? That scene in the forest with the deer...omg. I feel like I'm gonna cry just thinking about it. Actually just thinking about that movie in general starts to make me tear up a little. I love it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinyBubbles
Actually do not like watching most movies because I am to empathetic about them (beyond my control). I largely avoid them, and regardless of the movie if my friends bring up watching one, I say I don't want to.

Some emotional drama might get to me and I end up feeling bad for the characters, especially things that I can relate to can imagine it in a past personal experience. If I haven't experienced the emotion before I wouldn't really understand or react.

As far as physical pain goes, it depends; the one that gets to me the most is what humans do to each other (like the vid that [MENTION=1519]The Jester[/MENTION] just showed. I stopped it at the first punch..I just can't). That I find very very real and I react with great disgust.

Same reason why I find some horror movies scarier than others, if there's that human element hurting another it will make my spine shiver. If it's monsters, etc. then it's like watching cartoons. :p