Emotional Intoxication In INFJ's? | INFJ Forum

Emotional Intoxication In INFJ's?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
I know most of the INFJ's have experienced this at some point.

You get drunk off of someone else's emotions. For some it might be staggering around drunk and for others it's just a bit of a buzz. Some get aroused from the emotions. I know intense feelings from others do this to me, positive or negative, so long as they aren't directed straight in my direction.

From the presence of strong emotional states in other persons you get wasted.

I'll give you an example. I had a friend over today who had just lost her place to stay and was ranting and raving. I found myself slowly starting to feel a bit loose and silly, unable to focus properly and my eyes kept slipping away from her. Thinking became very difficult. I was just a little muzzy. Inside my head, I was trying furiously to read her and get context from her psyche.

She wasn't easy to read in that state with any degree of subtlety because she kept moving. Still, a few hours later I crashed completely once she'd left. To all intents and purposes it was a hang-over. An empathic hang-over.

What experiences have you had with this?

Last edited:
I haven't ever exactly felt "drunk." I remember one time I was in the car with my ex and he starting ranting and raving non-stop. He was so tense physically that I started to feel it too, and it felt like my chest was tightening and going to explode. I started screaming because I couldn't breathe.

I've never felt intoxicated from empathizing..
I've mostly felt uncomfortable and a heightened need to be aware of my thoughts and reactions. Empathizing is very sobering.. I think, especially if the person is not in a good state.

If someone is really going on about their problems and their tone of voice and mannerisms are very nervous and frantic, then I start to feel nervous and anxious and my pulse starts racing.

But your experience is interesting Chessie. Maybe others can relate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saru Inc
I find that SF's become drunk with someone else's feeling, while NF's become one with someone else's feeling. It's not a hazy state, where they can't feel/think straight, but are just in unity.

I find that SF's become drunk with someone else's feeling, while NF's become one with someone else's feeling. It's not a hazy state, where they can't feel/think straight, but are just in unity.
Ha. Yeah maybe it's usually very uncomfortable for me because I'm working to disunify my consciousness from the other persons.

I actually get like that Chessie. Over time I will start to disconnect because I start to feel fuzziness in my head. I get overwhelmed by other people's presence and I crash afterwards too. I just feel energetically wasted.

Yeah, it's closer to that. I am empathizing very closely while it's going on but if it goes on for long enough I start to be unable to keep my head straight.

Sounds like we got a bunch of istjs up in "here"

I also have these experiences quite often. For example it's starting to become a problem with girls: instead of offering a stable, calm piece of mind and being assertive I'm so often starting to roll on with their emotional state. If she's happy I become happy too and it's a vicious circle in a positive way. "But when it's bad it's awful."

:D

The feeling I can capture the most cerainly is that of tension probably because at home we have a lot and I became used to it.

Yeah this happens to me with tv show or movies sometimes even. Like right now, I just got done watching the first generation of skins and i feel like a part of me has gone and...
:m142:

Yeah this happens to me with tv show or movies sometimes even. Like right now, I just got done watching the first generation of skins and i feel like a part of me has gone and...
:m142:

difference between you and me: I would see the show for what it is, and enjoy watching it. ENFJs love their tv <33333

difference between you and me: I would see the show for what it is, and enjoy watching it. ENFJs love their tv <33333

I don't do this all the time. It actually rarely happens and is usually not something that the director intended. I just felt extremely connected to the characters in a weird way. This also happened with Freaks and Geeks. For the record, this isn't my reaction to chick flicks, just ones where I connect with the character.

I get overwhelmed by other people's presence and I crash afterwards too. I just feel energetically wasted.

I am affected by other people's energy. When i'm in a large group of people, i will slide in to the general euphoria of feeling or atmosphere created by the group, and when i resist it, i feel weird. I begin to feel fluid and my ability to establish boundaries between myself and them lessens. I guess i go with the flow emotionally, if not socially. Although, i'm not sure how unusual this is. Many may experience this without really being empathetic.