Does everything happen for a reason? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does everything happen for a reason?

My motto is, "if it's meant to be then it's meant to be".. I've been in a serious relationship for the past two and a half years and for about half of the relationship my boyfriend and I have been away from each other in different countries. Whenever this has happened, we have just gone with the flow and decided that if we wanted to be with each other then we'd just keep going with it. Same has happened for every other thing i've done in my life, if something didn't happen the way it was planned then I just think to myself that I wasn't supposed to be there and that is that and it's probably better that way. Everything affects everything else but we seriously shouldn't spend too much time thinking about it because then we'll just loose our minds.:mhula:

Well, does it?

Also, does time exist outside of perception?

I love this post script, as though the initial question weren't enough to think about.

I love this post script, as though the initial question weren't enough to think about.

lol, it did seem just tacked on didn't it? but it was linked to the rest of it~ just in an indirect way. (as in, does everything that happens, happen at ONCE, or in the step by step way that we perceive it? the answer to that would affect the morality of the original supposition)

It would appear that the observable facts support an entire range of possible explanations. Beginning with a strict materialistic interpretation where events are a natural, physical phenomena, all the way to the belief that each and every event is intended by an omniscient deity. The more important question is how do individuals deriving meaning from their existence.

It would appear that the observable facts support an entire range of possible explanations. Beginning with a strict materialistic interpretation where events are a natural, physical phenomena, all the way to the belief that each and every event is intended by an omniscient deity. The more important question is how do individuals deriving meaning from their existence.

I think the point is that every observable thing can be understood in terms of its causality. That is, it can be reasoned.

I think the point is that every observable thing can be understood in terms of its causality. That is, it can be reasoned.

I think that that is the beauty of of it. We think of "causality" in the pool table sense. I believe, in reality, it is way more complex. (way)

However, the reality is dwarfed by the perception. It does not matter that it can be reasoned, it only matters if it can be made meaningful.

to the OP:

Everything has a purpose, but what value you place on that purpose is questionable. Or in other words, what is purpose?

Purpose is really just a concept created by humans which suggests intent. Intent requires intelligence. For everything to have a purpose, there must be an intelligence orchestrating it. I think there is, and I think a lot of things have purpose, but I also think things happen that are negligible and wouldn't matter if they happened or not.

to the OP:

Everything has a purpose, but what value you place on that purpose is questionable. Or in other words, what is purpose?

Purpose is really just a concept created by humans which suggests intent. Intent requires intelligence. For everything to have a purpose, there must be an intelligence orchestrating it. I think there is, and I think a lot of things have purpose, but I also think things happen that are negligible and wouldn't matter if they happened or not.

Purpose infers an intelligent cause. Reason does not.

For example: "There was an unusually high tide to day. The reason it was so high was because the Moon and Sun were in alignment at noon."

For negative example: "There is a burnt out fuse... But I can't see any reason why it should have burnt out - I'll keep looking."

To say that everything happens for a reason it so say that everything that happens has a causality which can be reasonably understood.

To say that everything happens for a reason it so say that everything that happens has a causality which can be reasonably understood.

I don't think this is what people mean when they say this. I think they mean that there is some grand plan which all the things that are happening now are helping to make happen.

Your post implies a set past which is obviously true. When people say this I think they are implying a set future.