Does age matter for education? | INFJ Forum

Does age matter for education?

Roger

Oct 7, 2009
MBTI
ENFP
Enneagram
-
I have seen one awkward thing for education. People who are older than 40 yrs and who are in need for better job, they are hesitating for courses. They are thinking they are too old for learning. Their age has been gone. Days are gone.

I don't think so, if they have passion for learning and they think they can get job after taking correspondent course, they should go for it.

What do you think?

they would have to work harder, alot is forgetting what you've learned and that gets harder the older you get.

You should never stop learning :smile: Learn and grow all that you can till you die

I understand since they feel embarrassed being around so many young students --but I think it depends on the type of course. All of the courses I've taken had some number of people older than the teachers

It is definitely harder as you get older to retain as much information or as well.

It is definitely harder as you get older to retain as much information or as well.

they would have to work harder, alot is forgetting what you've learned and that gets harder the older you get.

I don't know if that is 100% true. I am not old to know. I don't know the ages of some of my colleagues.. guessing 60 something (and some have lost all the colour in their hair) --and they have more drive and ideas than the 18-30 year old students. I actually prefer being around them a whole lot more. And less drama too!

It's practice
Use your muscles everyday and they don't fall apart, no matter what age
Likewise exercise your brain

Last edited:
There is something to be said for experience, look at those older in age in various sports.

I think it depends on their desire to study,too. If they don't want they will become embarrassed or bored of study. Few people study at old age and get right job as they wanted from long time.

Anyone can have any success at any age. I am feeling now this.

There is something to be said for experience, look at those older in age in various sports.
No kidding, a few years ago I heard of Julio Franco, a MLB player who retired at 49. Baseball is one thing, but a few weeks ago there was an American Football quarterback (pretty much team captain) who had retired twice and was playing the best football of his life.

No kidding, a few years ago I heard of Julio Franco, a MLB player who retired at 49. Baseball is one thing, but a few weeks ago there was an American Football quarterback (pretty much team captain) who had retired twice and was playing the best football of his life.

That's really interesting thing to know. :)

definitely NOT :) :) ahahahahaha nobody knows everything and everybody should learn and learn and learn everyday... :) :)

and it is not fun to live if you know everything.. and when there's no space for improvement. Living is learning too

it's not shameful to study and go to college again at an old age :)

I have seen one awkward thing for education. People who are older than 40 yrs and who are in need for better job, they are hesitating for courses. They are thinking they are too old for learning. Their age has been gone. Days are gone.

I suppose its harder because they have other commitments such as their family and job.

However for those that laze around at home, then there is no excuse.

Personally I believe its best to study for a job you want to do, rather than get a crappy job or a job you dislike and then have a family, once that happens its very hard to quit your job and study in something you want to do.

I do believe its eaiser to pick up things and subjects when you are younger but that is no excuse for any older adults to neglect learning new things.

Back when I was at art school, I was asked by the tutor to teach the older students in the class how to do photography and use photoshop. What took the tutor 4 hours to explain only took me 40 minutes.
Half of the students had very little experience with computers and camera's but they passed their papers, some of them receiving top marks.
So much for their learning days gone.

However I failed myself, because of that I am taking a break this year from school and work (I had to teach the older workers at work too) :m125:

Last edited:
Back when I was at art school, I was asked by the tutor to teach the older students in the class how to do photography and use photoshop. What took the tutor 4 hours to explain only took me 40 minutes.
Half of the students had very little experience with computers and camera's but they passed their papers, some of them receiving top marks.
So much for their learning days gone.

nice quotations from you and example too... :)

Reactions: Matariki
My parents are still learning and taking classes in their 70s! (granted, not exactly astrophysics, but still...)

And there was a famous pediatrician where I live, called Dr. Leila Denmark, who ran a medical practice to age of 103 and beyond. She was a big proponent of good nutrition for children and adults, and it seemed to work for her.

The biggest obstacles to learning are other time commitments, and sometimes poor health, not age itself. Sometimes I think I'd love to go back to school, and I actually think I am better at abstract concepts and much more focused than I was as a teenager and young woman.

Yes, time commitments like paying a mortgage, putting food on the table, raising children, or putting said children through post secondary school. Retraining costs money that for a lot of people would mean foregoing shelter, food, and clothing. Then the risks inherent in being an inexperienced worker in a new field competing with younger workers which, fair or not fair, employers tend to favour.
If we are talking about education unrelated to employment, I think learning should then be lifelong.

You people are so lovely. I just love you all, everyone. each and every member is awesome and special in their way.

Loveeeeeee.....

There was this woman in the news last week who had obtained her bachelors degree at the age of 100 and died a few days later. I think that is pretty awesome, shows real commitment. If you want it, it's never too late.

There was this woman in the news last week who had obtained her bachelors degree at the age of 100 and died a few days later. I think that is pretty awesome, shows real commitment. If you want it, it's never too late.

Power to her.